Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

2003-08-04 04:44:16 PM
kylix1
siliconvalley.internet.com/news/article.php/2243891
It is appearing that Novell has very well formulated business plans
for Linux.. and I think that Novell wouldn't be spending all the money
and resources to make theirs Linux strategy a reality if they didn't
believe in the future of Linux ..
From the Kylix 4 and Mono perspective; I hope that Borland maintained
good relations with Novell.. ;-)
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

JQP wrote:
Novell is famous for "well formulated business plans" that never quite pan
out.

LOL. That's probably why Novell has been around since 1979.. In IT
world Novell is famous for delivering a corporate networking solution
in the early 1980s and for continued leadership in computer
technology. Novell, LANs and WANs are inseparable terms .. ;-)
juliusz
--

Rosimildo da Silva wrote:
juliusz wrote:
>Novell, LANs and WANs are inseparable terms .. ;-)

Microsoft, Virus and Reboots are inseparable terms. <g>

Rosimildo.

That's a good one!
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.
www.superobject.com/download/.html

{smallsort}

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

JQP wrote:
Their "smoke and mirrors" have taken the form of "recovery plans"; each of
which was supposed to return the company to profitability. None have really
panned out thus far. This latest effort is pretty much a last gasp.

It is really irrelevant what the opposition to the Linux progress
wishes it to be; it is appearing that on a long run Linux is a sure
bet, and a must to embrace for any computer oriented company, as a
logical, natural step into the future of computing. Linux becomes an
inseparable part of the computer infrastructure and Novell just see
the trend .. I wish them well..
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.
www.superobject.com/download/

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

JQP wrote:
Feel free to wish that Novell's steady decline wasn't so clearly documented.

Whether Linux can magically turn them around when all else has failed
remains to be seen but I am skeptical.
Thanks, but it is not about my personal wishes, it is not even about
Linux enemies wishes, it is about the future of computing as is going
to unfold.
Since, Linux cannot be owned and controlled by one corporation. As I
see it, Linux creates an even play field for any computer company to
compete on a equal basis and this stimulates innovation and progress
in general.
Just see what happened to all the Windows based software makers,
component makers and so on.. soon all of you, windows programers will
have to work for one big corporation for a minimum wages since
everything is controlled by owner of the OS and there is less and lees
to do independently.. Have you ever speculate what happened to the
Internet, soon after the IE gained in popularity ..? I'll help you
here ?stagnation and regression.
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer builder
creates InstallMade's standalone executables.
www.superobject.com/download/

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

PhilO wrote:
However, when the graphic interface got popular and the ability to
run all sorts of c/s db's easily in Windows, companies started moving
to M$. By the mid 90's I was finding network support people who
did not know dos prompt from goose pimple.

Novel was used to telling users how it was going to be. They did not
listen and they started missing out on new network installations and
then in a few years many Novel networks went M$.

It does not matter how good you or your products are, but what the
market wants.
I don't think DOS was appropriate to do any networking.. ;-)
The market wanted GUI interface ?we have this, now market wants
secure and inexpensive network computing environment ?Linux.
juliusz
--

juliusz wrote:
Novell, LANs and WANs are inseparable terms .. ;-)
Microsoft, Virus and Reboots are inseparable terms. <g>
Rosimildo.

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Novell, is famous for being a pure
technology company, so no hype, no smoke and mirrors, no big PR
spending ..
Their "smoke and mirrors" have taken the form of "recovery plans"; each of
which was supposed to return the company to profitability. None have really
panned out thus far. This latest effort is pretty much a last gasp.

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

Well, I guess they where making room in anticipation of acquiring
Linux technology some day. :-) Novell, is famous for being a pure
technology company, so no hype, no smoke and mirrors, no big PR
spending .. what's count the most is that they did a lot of good for
computer industry and for people in general.
However, when the graphic interface got popular and the ability to
run all sorts of c/s db's easily in Windows, companies started moving
to M$. By the mid 90's I was finding network support people who
did not know dos prompt from goose pimple.
Novel was used to telling users how it was going to be. They did not
listen and they started missing out on new network installations and
then in a few years many Novel networks went M$.
It does not matter how good you or your products are, but what the
market wants.
In the same time they
earned their money the hard way, in dollars and euros not enrons..
But none to speak of for a lot of years in the row now

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
It is really irrelevant what the opposition to the Linux progress
wishes it to be ...
Feel free to wish that Novell's steady decline wasn't so clearly documented.
Whether Linux can magically turn them around when all else has failed
remains to be seen but I am skeptical. IBM looked at buying Novell several
months ago but declined to make an offer. Apparently not enough substance
to warrant it.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>It is appearing that Novell has very well formulated business plans
>for Linux.. and I think that Novell wouldn't be spending all the money
>and resources to make theirs Linux strategy a reality if they didn't
>believe in the future of Linux ..

Novell is famous for "well formulated business plans" that never quite pan
out.
Actually, Novell is famous for very solid software being hawked by
salespeople who couldn't sell dollar bills at half price, whereas
Microsoft is even more famous for their very solid marketing of bloatware
that would be junk at half the price.
DD

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

Plus its a sore spot with me that Novell purchased the Borland Office
suite (database, word processor, spreadsheet) and let it grow old and
stale to the veritable point of death. Everything they touch turns
to rot. A pox upon them! Death is too good for Novell.

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

Hilton Evans wrote:
Which is why Novell Office dominates the office software market.
right?
While you may be referring to the success of Microsoft Office, we
cannot just simply disregard that Novell had great success in the area
of networking. In the early 1990s most of the business world did in
fact run Novell networking software. And Microsoft operating system
gets its first true TCP/IP implementation with the introduction of Win
2000.
Novell, as many many other American companies are innocent bystanders
of the Microsoft success in introduction of theirs technology and
business methods.. Many American companies just stop to exist and
many like Borland, Novell tried to survived over the years. But,
don't we all know all of this... ? ;-)
What is important? Novell as well many other computer related
businesses will have the opportunity to compete on a fair basis, just
because of Linux. The Linux user base is steadily increasing and
this progress surely will continue in the future until there will be a
healthy balance between Windows and Linux.
Now, what is significant in the whole story, that Novell acquired this
pure Linux base company Ximian? In the light of the SCO delusive
allegation about Linux, apparently designed to FUD Linux, therefore,
to slow down its adoption into enterprise, Novell is buying Linux
company and progressing as planed with embracing Linux ! The
significant fact is that Novell actually sold some Unix rights to
Caldera/SCO, therefore Novell has pretty much good idea what the SCO
claims and allegation are worth.
juliusz
--
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Re:Novell acquires Linux company Ximian

JQP wrote:
LOL! If MS gives software away, it's unfair. When Open Source does the
same but to a far greater extreme, it's fair.

LOL! Actually, it is becoming day by day, increasingly, irrelevant
what MS does or doesn't do. And MS problems are not the topic of this
post and are not what I will discuss. ;-)
Novell will have the opportunity to compete against Open Source on a "fair"
basis. It'll be most interesting to see how well this works.

Fairness: In regard of open source, open source developers are
providing to anybody who wants it the Linux kernel. Any software
vendors and/or developer can create an application for Linux or
utilizing Linux. So yes, it is fair, because any and all of the people
who wants to develop for Linux de facto have fair and equal access to
the operating system code and its use.
Control: Linux cannot be owned by one corporation so the direction
the Linux development takes cannot be stirred to an advantage of some
software makers and in the same time derail efforts of others.
Example: Think about Linux as a public roads infrastructure, its
existents stimulates all kinds of development since anybody can go in
any direction one thinks is appropriate for theirs pleasure or
business needs, and this by itself stimulates economical progress.
Think about the communication protocols as the traffic laws; any brand
of vehicle can easily go from its origin to its destination freely,
for the intended benefits of its owners and for the benefits of all.
Now, imagine if most of the public communications channels would be
controlled by one corporation or (a totalitarian government) and
people will have to follow the changing traffic rules dictated by not
elected officials - owners of the system. They will control which car
you will use, where you will have to go and why? The progress and
innovation will safer, as well as the general development in this region.
Another Example: Think about Linux as a Language; any natural language
is in constant development, but always anybody proficient with it can
create a novel, a poem, a business report, an article in newspaper,
post in to newsgroup and so on.. Think, if thise would be possible if
a small group of people could dictate which words are to be used today
and which are forbidden, furthermore charge for every single published
material a license fees for use of the language. Yes, Linux is fair
to any creative entity and yes you have the right to put your Book or
poem for sale or give it for free.
juliusz