Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

2004-01-08 08:15:27 PM
kylix0
I checked it. It's gcc 2.96, indeed. I'm very surprized that 2.95 works
and 2.96 would not.
It's a very funny, error, too. It compiles _lots_of_ files but with
/fs/proc/array.c, procedure proc_pid_stat() it gets into trouble.
Obviously a compiler error, as it shows part of the "register
clobbering" list. The problem might be that there are variables that are
called like the processor registers (esp and eip).
Where can I get another version of gcc to be installed on a ReadHat
distribution ?
-Michael

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I checked it. It's gcc 2.96, indeed. I'm very surprized that 2.95 works
and 2.96 would not.
I'm not <g>.

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

Michael Schnell < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I checked it. It's gcc 2.96, indeed. I'm very surprized that 2.95 works
and 2.96 would not.
I'm not. There is no such thing as gcc 2.96. RedHat decided to release a very
premature internal version and to label it 2.96.
Where can I get another version of gcc to be installed on a ReadHat
distribution ?
gcc.gnu.org/
rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php
I'd be surprised if RedHat hadn't something on their server(s) as well.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

"Thomas Maeder [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm not. There is no such thing as gcc 2.96. RedHat decided to release a
very
premature internal version and to label it 2.96.
Way to go Red Hat! A real confidence booster for the integrity of the Open
Source process.

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

"JQP" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Way to go Red Hat! A real confidence booster for the integrity of the Open
Source process.
I don't have Red Hat installed here (but SuSE), but apart from that glitch,
I'm very fond of their efforts. For example, it's quite a long time since
a Windows machine I used didn't get Cygwin installed very soon; it's the
simplest way to make Windows usable, IMHO.

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

On 01/09/04 04:43 +0900, Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
I'm very fond of their efforts. For example, it's quite a long time since
a Windows machine I used didn't get Cygwin installed very soon; it's the
simplest way to make Windows usable, IMHO.
Indeed. For me, a couple of licenses of MKS Tools have long since
done the trick.
trane
// Trane Francks XXXX@XXXXX.COM Tokyo, Japan

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

gcc.gnu.org/
rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php

Hmm. What RPM do you suggest I should install on RedHat. (I only see the
2.96 versions for RH). I'm afraid of doing a pure GNU installation :-(
Thanks
-Michael

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

Michael Schnell < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Hmm. What RPM do you suggest I should install on RedHat.
I have absolutely no idea.
(I only see the 2.96 versions for RH).
I also see a line
Various compilers (C, C++, Objective-C, Java, ...) RedHat-9 for i386 gcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm
I'm afraid of doing a pure GNU installation :-(
In my experience, there is no reason for being afraid. gcc's installation
procedure has always been very helpful and exact; I've never had a problem
building a release for Cygwin or Linux.
Just read the documentation and do exactly what it tells you to do. The only
configuration parameter I usually set is --prefix to prevent the installation
procedure from overwriting the standard gcc.
And then there are nice people over at the gnu.* groups.

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

I also see a line

Various compilers (C, C++, Objective-C, Java, ...) RedHat-9 for i386 gcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm

I only looked for 2.x versions, as my former tests of 3.x gcc (a year
ago) lead into trouble.
OK, so I'll try the gcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm
Thanks, -Michael

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

Confusing: 3.2.2-5 for RH9, 3.2-7 for RH8
Are they not usable on the other system ?
Michael

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

Michael Schnell wrote:
Confusing: 3.2.2-5 for RH9, 3.2-7 for RH8

Are they not usable on the other system ?
What is so confusing...
GCC version 3.2.2, RH patch level 5 for RH9
GCC version 3.2, RH patch level 7 for RH8
You could try running them on different systems,
but don't be suprised if all hell breaks loose.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

Michael Schnell < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I only looked for 2.x versions, as my former tests of 3.x gcc (a year
ago) lead into trouble.

OK, so I'll try the gcc-3.2.2-5.i386.rpm
Let me clarify that I didn't tell you to do this. I only told you what I
saw.
The last 2.x releases of gcc were 2.95.x. I'm sure that you can download the
sources from the mirrors mentioned at gcc.gnu.org. If your distribution is
based on what RedHat called 2.96, using 2.95.x will be more likely to give
you success than 3.2.2 (or any other 3.x release) if you want to interface
libraries that come with that distribution. OTOH, if you don't care about
that and want to have an up-to-date C++ compiler, I'd suggest you use the
latest stable 3.x release.

Re:Re: Kylix and 2.6.0

I tried to install gcc 3 but the RPM claimed that it would need a lot of
additional stuff.
Thanks, but I think I'll give up for the moment.
-Michael