Deploy binaries on Fedora Core 5 and 4

2006-06-11 03:00:47 AM
kylix2
Hello,
Kylix compiled binaries with database access (TClientDataset) had a problem
with new pthread implementation, so to work on newer distros I used:
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.41
Then the old pthread (libpthread.0.so) implementation is used and the
application work ok.
But new Fedora Core distros dropped old pthread implementation, that is
since Fedora Core 4 there is no support for this feature (choose old
LinuxThreads)
Is there a way to workaround this?
Is there a patch to binaries or libraries to work with new pthreads?
Thanks

Re:Deploy binaries on Fedora Core 5 and 4

Hello,
Kylix compiled binaries with database access (TClientDataset) had a problem
with new pthread implementation, so to work on newer distros I used:
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.41
Then the old pthread (libpthread.0.so) implementation is used and the
application work ok.
But new Fedora Core distros dropped old pthread implementation, that is
since Fedora Core 4 there is no support for this feature (choose old
LinuxThreads)
Is there a way to workaround this?
Is there a patch to binaries or libraries to work with new pthreads?
Thanks

Re:Deploy binaries on Fedora Core 5 and 4

Please direct your browser at info.borland.com/newsgroups/ and
read the newsgroup guidelines. One of them asks us not to post the
same question to different newsgroups, but to pick the most
appropriate one and just post there. Thanks!
In particular, please don't post clearly technical posts in
.non-technical.

{smallsort}

Re:Deploy binaries on Fedora Core 5 and 4

Then the old pthread (libpthread.0.so) implementation is used and the
application work ok.

Don't the new threads work with your application ? Why ?
-Michael

Re:Deploy binaries on Fedora Core 5 and 4

Hello,

Kylix compiled binaries with database access (TClientDataset) had a problem
with new pthread implementation, so to work on newer distros I used:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.41

Then the old pthread (libpthread.0.so) implementation is used and the
application work ok.
I assume you are talking about NPTL (Native Posix Thread Library) that is
used by default on Red Hat for quite some time.
To my knowledge all Borland-supplied units including Midas work just fine
with NPTL. Most likely, the problem is in your own code. The most common
problem when using NPTL is calling Suspend on a running thread (which is
highly unclean design anyway).
Simon

Re:Deploy binaries on Fedora Core 5 and 4

with NPTL. Most likely, the problem is in your own code. The
Well, I found the source of the problem, the mysql dbexpress driver, so it's
not my code but Borland code.
Using the DBExpress-OpenODBC-unixODBC configuration solved the problem, but
on distros supporting the old thread implementation
(LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.41), the driver woked ok.
Unfortunately I have other instalation with Fedora Core 5 and the midaslib
library is experimenting the same problem, I think a compatibility library
is missing there.
Thanks
"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje
[...]

The Borland mysql driver is {*word*99}. Ever was. Invest the few bucks and go buy the
MySQL Dbexpress driver from Core Lab (crlab.com). Those drivers work with all
versions of Mysql, in multithreading etc and get updated.
(I'm a very happy customer of theirs)
Using the DBExpress-OpenODBC-unixODBC configuration solved the problem, but
on distros supporting the old thread implementation
(LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.41), the driver woked ok.
The Borland MySQL driver never really worked "ok" imho.
Unfortunately I have other instalation with Fedora Core 5 and the midaslib
library is experimenting the same problem, I think a compatibility library
is missing there.
I've used midaslib on NPTL-systems already, and didn't see problems.
Simon

Toni Martir írta:
Hello,

Kylix compiled binaries with database access (TClientDataset) had a problem
with new pthread implementation, so to work on newer distros I used:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.41

Then the old pthread (libpthread.0.so) implementation is used and the
application work ok.

But new Fedora Core distros dropped old pthread implementation, that is
since Fedora Core 4 there is no support for this feature (choose old
LinuxThreads)

Is there a way to workaround this?
Is there a patch to binaries or libraries to work with new pthreads?

Thanks

Hello,
Some times ago you can help me... maybe I cam help you:
I can use Kylix3 on Fedora Core 4 but under FC5 it is not possible =
glic 2.4
- andy.jgknet.de/oss/kylix/Forum/viewtopic.php
- www.theo.ch/kylix/suse10.html
- crosskylix.untergrund.net/execshield.shtml
Please read this pages If you need any help write me:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
I hope I can help you, besause I am using your Report Manager. It is
perfect!!!
Attila

Toni Martir wrote:
Hello,

Kylix compiled binaries with database access (TClientDataset) had a
problem with new pthread implementation, so to work on newer distros I
used:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.41

Then the old pthread (libpthread.0.so) implementation is used and the
application work ok.

But new Fedora Core distros dropped old pthread implementation, that is
since Fedora Core 4 there is no support for this feature (choose old
LinuxThreads)

Is there a way to workaround this?
Is there a patch to binaries or libraries to work with new pthreads?
I'm afraid not. Try to recompile glibc --without-__thread and then you'll
see what's up ;) , fc5 glibc cannot be recompiled --without-tls and
--without-__thread .... so let the God helps you :)