Board index » kylix » Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


2005-08-31 01:04:45 AM
kylix1
Please have a look at the "Kylix is dead" thread in the
borland.public.delphi.non-technical newsgroup. John Kaster just
communicates the ongoing of the freeclx.sourceforge.net
project !!!
--
-------------------------------------------------
Binary Packets with daily error corrections
www.de.freepascal.org/lazarus/
New: Free Pascal 2.1.1 / Lazarus 0.9.9
-------------------------------------------------
Create native 64-bit compiler/IDE
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
-------------------------------------------------
Parameterized Types (aka Generics) also for Win32
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
-------------------------------------------------
Help system needs major work
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
-------------------------------------------------
 
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Kylix IDE is still 99.999% dead. (regarding Borland updates to it)
What I read there was that Borland is commited to the Linux platform,
but via a future Delphi IDE - CrossKylix route?.
However it is wonderful that there is finally some movement again on the
FreeCLX project! Go Andreas!
siegs
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

siegfriedn wrote:
Quote
The Kylix IDE is still 99.999% dead. (regarding Borland updates to it)

What I read there was that Borland is commited to the Linux platform,
but via a future Delphi IDE - CrossKylix route?.

However it is wonderful that there is finally some movement again on the
FreeCLX project! Go Andreas!

siegs
I think, a first step will be the release of an updated CLX (merged
patches from Andreas) and a license for that library.
--
-------------------------------------------------
Binary Packets with daily error corrections
www.de.freepascal.org/lazarus/
New: Free Pascal 2.1.1 / Lazarus 0.9.9
-------------------------------------------------
Create native 64-bit compiler/IDE
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
-------------------------------------------------
Parameterized Types (aka Generics) also for Win32
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
-------------------------------------------------
Help system needs major work
Vote qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
-------------------------------------------------
 

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max wrote:
Quote

Please have a look at the "Kylix is dead" thread in the
borland.public.delphi.non-technical newsgroup. John Kaster just
communicates the ongoing of the freeclx.sourceforge.net
project !!!



It's dead. The idea behind Kylix is the same idea behind Delphi: be able
to code an application without intimate knowledge of the underlying OS.
If you have to patch this and work around that and avoid the other thing
then you have killed the original idea.
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Quote
Please have a look at the "Kylix is dead" thread in the
borland.public.delphi.non-technical newsgroup. John Kaster just
communicates the ongoing of the freeclx.sourceforge.net
project !!!
So borland finally sent a draft of an agreement on freeclx to Andreas.
Only took them one year to do that, after the announcement about
open-sourcing Kylix...
That is supposed to make us think that Kylix is doing pushups ?
--
Seek simplicity and mistrust it.
Alfred Whitehead
A witty saying proves nothing.
Voltaire
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
after the announcement about open-sourcing Kylix...
It was never announced to open-source Kylix.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen
(www.kylix-patch.de.vu - unofficial Kylix 3 patches)
(andy.jgknet.de/blog)
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
So borland finally sent a draft of an agreement on freeclx to Andreas.
Only took them one year to do that, after the announcement about
open-sourcing Kylix...
Which announcement are you refearing to?
Regards
Yannis.
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yannis wrote:
Quote

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>So borland finally sent a draft of an agreement on freeclx to Andreas.
>Only took them one year to do that, after the announcement about
>open-sourcing Kylix...

Which announcement are you refearing to?
There was no announcement about open sourcing Kylix. There are no such plans.
What was announced at last years BorCon was a creation of a closed group of
outside developers and some Borlanders who would work on a community project to
provide updates to Kylix (around CLX mostly).
--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB) On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email 'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives
me directly unless I dreamed of the moment of my own death
asked. Thank You) That no one ever dreams and lives (Marillion)
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yannis wrote:
Quote
>So borland finally sent a draft of an agreement on freeclx to Andreas.
>Only took them one year to do that, after the announcement about
>open-sourcing Kylix...

Which announcement are you refearing to?
Presumably he means the FreeCLX community announcement, which was about FreeCLX, not Kylix itself:
freeclx.sourceforge.net/
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Quote

Presumably he means the FreeCLX community announcement, which was
about FreeCLX, not Kylix itself:

freeclx.sourceforge.net/

In this case s/he has the time wrong as well as the facts.
Regards
Yannis.
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
Quote
Yannis wrote:

>>So borland finally sent a draft of an agreement on freeclx to Andreas.
>>Only took them one year to do that, after the announcement about
>>open-sourcing Kylix...
>
>Which announcement are you refearing to?

Presumably he means the FreeCLX community announcement, which was about
FreeCLX, not Kylix itself:

freeclx.sourceforge.net/
FreeCLX was announced with Kylix 1, IIRC. At last year's BorCon, there
was a BorCon only announcement about the Kylix Community Project, which
has never been published on BDN or Borland's press release section. John
Kaster mentioned in delphi.non-tech (I think) that he *finally* got
approval to send an agreement to Andreas and Chad this week.
What's that, almost exactly a year? It's no wonder there's confusion over
what was announced, given that no one who wasn't at BorCon has anything to
refer to other than second hand information, and even those who were at
BorCon must be getting fuzzy on their memories by now. The terms of the
agreement may very well have changed significantly by now anyway.
I'm looking forward to the formal, public (as in web-published)
announcement.
-Brion
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yannis wrote:
..
Quote
Which announcement are you refearing to?

probably this one..
tinyurl.com/asubb
siegs
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brion L. Webster wrote:
Quote
I'm looking forward to the formal, public (as in web-published)
announcement.
Same here.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

siegfriedn schrieb:
Quote
Yannis wrote:
..

>Which announcement are you refearing to?
>

probably this one..

tinyurl.com/asubb

siegs
what's in that draft?
 

Re:Kylix is NOT dead !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theo wrote:
Quote
what's in that draft?
It seems to be for Andreas and Chad's eyes only for now.. The ball has
been tossed nack to the 'community' I suppose they are formulating a
reply? Lets hope they keep us informed..
siegs