Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

2006-04-08 12:01:41 PM
kylix0
FrankW wrote:

I'd like to develop some linux apps using its native tools, which is a
better option:

1) KDE with its KDeveloper?
2) GNome with its Glade?

or any other options?
KDeveloper works well. Glade is still well, kind of cludgy

Re:Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

Hi,

FrankW wrote:

I'd like to develop some linux apps using its native tools, which is a
better option:

1) KDE with its KDeveloper?
2) GNome with its Glade?

or any other options?

The latest Monodevelop has a integrated GTK# forms designer,
might be worth checking out.
You could also use Lazarus.
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

{smallsort}

FrankW wrote:

I'd like to develop some linux apps using its native tools, which is a
better option:

1) KDE with its KDeveloper?
2) GNome with its Glade?

or any other options?
MSEide+MSEgui
mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
Martin

Re:Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

I'd like to develop some linux apps using its native tools, which is a
better option:

1) KDE with its KDeveloper?
2) GNome with its Glade?

or any other options?
Notice that Kylix 3 seems to be working perfectly in
the newest Mandriva distribution (I have only
tried the Object Pascal part, do not know if
C++ is working).
I used the tips from:
www.theo.ch/kylix/suse10.html
Regards,
Dag

"Dag Fjeld Edvardsen" <dfe who is located on byggforsk dot no>wrote:
Notice that Kylix 3 seems to be working perfectly in
the newest Mandriva distribution (I have only
tried the Object Pascal part, do not know if
C++ is working).
what is the glibc version inside ?

FrankW wrote:
I'd like to develop some linux apps using its native tools, which is a
better option:
Lazarus =)
Lazarus is a cross platform Visual IDE developed for and supported by
Free Pascal. It aims to provide a Delphi Clone for Pascal and Object
Pascal developers using the open source Free Pascal compiler.
It can compile the same code on several architectures /operating systems
and also compiles VCL-based apps.
Lazarus website: www.lazarus.freepascal.org/
A screenshot of the IDE running a popular software created with Lazarus:
sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php
Wikipedia article about Lazarus:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_%28software%29
Felipe

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
FrankW wrote:

>I'd like to develop some linux apps using its native tools, which is a
>better option:

Lazarus =)

Lazarus is a cross platform Visual IDE developed for and supported by
Free Pascal. It aims to provide a Delphi Clone for Pascal and Object
Pascal developers using the open source Free Pascal compiler.

It can compile the same code on several architectures /operating systems
and also compiles VCL-based apps.

Lazarus website: www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

A screenshot of the IDE running a popular software created with Lazarus:

sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php

Wikipedia article about Lazarus:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_%28software%29

Felipe
Felipe,
PMFJI, Lazarus sounds interesting, but will it compile any/most/all 3rd
party components if I have the source code? What about TeeChartPro or
QuantumGrid? Or is it possible to get Intraweb running on it if I want
to create webservers? Or is there a better alternative to building
webservers on Lazarus? Is there anyone building commercial applications
with Lazarus?
TIA
Sam

Re:Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

>Notice that Kylix 3 seems to be working perfectly in
>the newest Mandriva distribution (I have only
>tried the Object Pascal part, do not know if
>C++ is working).

what is the glibc version inside ?
Mandriva 10.1 uses glibc 2.3.3

Re:Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

Felipe,
PMFJI, Lazarus sounds interesting, but will it compile any/most/all
3rd party components if I have the source code? What about TeeChartPro
or QuantumGrid? Or is it possible to get Intraweb running on it if I
want to create webservers? Or is there a better alternative to building
webservers on Lazarus? Is there anyone building commercial applications
with Lazarus?

Lazarus is a great Project, but it isn't a perfect Delphi/Kylix replacement.
Porting Delphi/Kylix visual components to Lazarus takes a major rewrite
in most cases. And even then you'll miss some vital features.
You may have better luck with non visual components, which FPC (which
Lazarus is based on) will compile quite nicely with little adjustments.

On 2006-04-10, Sam Remek < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
PMFJI, Lazarus sounds interesting, but will it compile any/most/all 3rd
party components if I have the source code?
What about TeeChartPro or QuantumGrid? Or is it possible to get Intraweb
running on it if I want to create webservers?
Probably not. Some components will work some not, and some will with some
mods.
Or is there a better alternative to building
webservers on Lazarus?
Indy http server?
Is there anyone building commercial applications with Lazarus?
There are several. But I don't know anyone doing webapps using highlevel
components atm (some that have own http servers)

Re:Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

MSEide+MSEgui

mypage.bluewin.ch/msegui/
It's cool IDE for FPC but completely do not combine on Delphi/Kylix :( but
then for GUI does not use the outside libraries!

theo wrote:
Lazarus is a great Project, but it isn't a perfect Delphi/Kylix replacement.
Delphi (5 to 7) still produceses smaller executables, is better
documented and more stable. But then I can compile my code with Delphi
on Windows and with Lazarus on the rest of the platforms =)
Also Lazarus is far superior to Kylix. To start with it works on all
distros without tricks, is still being developed, compiles VCL code, as
opposed to having to rewrite VCL software (which is the majority) in CLX.
And if your source works on Lazarus, there is a good chance it works
without modifications on many targets Kylix will never reach. Just to
start: All BSDs, Mac OS X, Windows CE, Solaris.
Also you can choose your widgetset on Unixes. Gtk, Gtk2 or Qt. With the
same source you can link to any of them =)
Porting Delphi/Kylix visual components to Lazarus takes a major rewrite
in most cases. And even then you'll miss some vital features.
Only the visual part needs to be changed. If you use the component from
code, as opposed to drop it on the from, it will need as little changes
as a non-visual component needs.
Felipe

Marco van de Voort wrote:
>Or is there a better alternative to building
>webservers on Lazarus?
Synapse works great with free pascal and Lazarus, and it comes
with a http server demo.
--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re:Re: what is a best platform to develop native Linux gui app?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
... Lazarus ...
Only the visual part needs to be changed. If you use the component from
code, as opposed to drop it on the from, it will need as little changes
as a non-visual component needs.
Some time ago I started writing a project to parse DFM files and "insert" their
contents into subroutines called the FormCreate event.
In that way you could develop your app on Windoze, then "Parse" it to create a
DFM-less project.
I originally did this to aid component development - you can get into all sorts
of interesting trouble by placing an experimental component on a form. But it
seems to me that such a program may be quite useful in porting from Delphi to
Lazarus.
What do you reckon ?
cheers,
Mat