Re: Borland, strategies, Microsoft, Kylix

2005-12-17 11:14:11 AM
kylix2
Lester Caine sighed and wrote::

You never used a decent word processor then? Anybody miss AMI Pro, which
Microsoft copied when designing Word! It took years to get my Wife to
move to Lotus after they acquired it :(

Never got the chance. Didn't know about AMI Pro. Lotus? You mean
AMI Pro = WordPro? If so, I use it now, but the Lotus Smartsuite
WordPro is seriously weird. I open a normal 10 page Lotus WordPro
document (from a '97 version) and I get 1 normal page, then the
2nd page starts having text all overlapping.
(Yet again, I digress from the topic.)

Re:Re: Borland, strategies, Microsoft, Kylix

Edmund wrote:
>You never used a decent word processor then? Anybody miss AMI Pro, which
>Microsoft copied when designing Word! It took years to get my Wife to
>move to Lotus after they acquired it :(

Never got the chance. Didn't know about AMI Pro. Lotus? You mean
AMI Pro = WordPro? If so, I use it now, but the Lotus Smartsuite
Yep - AMI Pro was the first proper windows based word processor, and
Lotus took it over when Microsoft started walking all over it :(
WordPro is seriously weird. I open a normal 10 page Lotus WordPro
document (from a '97 version) and I get 1 normal page, then the
2nd page starts having text all overlapping.
Not a problem I've ever seen, all of my documents up to 2002 are in
either AMIPro or WordPro format, and all look fine. Of cause all the new
stuff is in OpenOffice - It's a pity that there is not a decent
translation filter for that, and links from Borland tools to it would be
nice :)
(Yet again, I digress from the topic.)
Yes a digression - but I do think that some standardisation on document
formats with Linux would be nice.
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

Re:Re: Borland, strategies, Microsoft, Kylix

Lester Caine < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:43a4a148$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
Yes a digression - but I do think that some standardisation on document
formats with Linux would be nice.
already in the works.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument
Just about everyone except MS is supporting it.
--
Iman

{smallsort}

Iman L Crawford wrote:
Lester Caine < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:43a4a148$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:

>Yes a digression - but I do think that some standardisation on document
>formats with Linux would be nice.

already in the works.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

Just about everyone except MS is supporting it.
And Wikipedia ;)
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------
L.S.Caine Electronic Services
Treasurer - Firebird Foundation Inc.

Re:Re: Borland, strategies, Microsoft, Kylix

Ender wrote:
Linux - software at no cost (or extremely low cost) is not dumping?
No it is not. Dumping only ocurrs when the price is artifically low as a
strategy to gain market share and then, after all competitors are dead,
raise the price.
Acording to your line of thought, giving food for free in charity is
dumping agains food companies. This is very logical.
I live in another country. I don't know what is Exxon.
It is enougth to know they were doing illegal businness practices and
went to jail =)
Other illegal practices are: Truste, Dumping, Monopoly, etc
AT&T was a telecomunications monopoly and the american governament
forced it to subdivide into hundreds of companies. I think the same
should happen to Microsoft.
I think high prices on software is thing that incentivate Piracy. Let's
compare two countries with different average incomes:
Let's say software piece cost USD $200.

Country 1: $40000. $200 / $40000 = 0.5%
Country 2: $3600. $200 / $3600 = 5.6%

Do you think that people from country 2 will always buy licensed
software?
That is only because they are forced to it as the only software in the
market is the $200 dolars one.
Being in the country 1 easy to relax and argue how Piracy is
bad.
I am from country 2, by the way. And Piracy do is a crime. People don't
like commiting crimes (most people at least). It only happens that the
only available Operating System for x86 on the market is Windows and
it's owners follow abusive pricing methods. Linux is being introduced to
the masses only very recently and many people don't know it yet.