Who will get my money?

2005-11-18 03:50:18 PM
kylix2
Hi all,
I work on a logistics company as a developer.
My company use inhouse developed softwares.
In 2003 I checked Kylix3.
Then I planned move sources to cross-platform.
I bought Developer Express CLX components, Developer Express EWF,
TMS Planner, Cross Platform desktop style databases...
I convert my sources to CLX (cross platform).
In my 2004 budget, there were items exist, for Kylix and Delphi upgrade
cost.
Kylix 4 didn't released I didnt updgre to D8.
In my 2005 budget, there were items exist again, for Kylix and Delphi
upgrade cost.
Kylix 4 didn't released I didnt updgre to D2005.
As you know, other 3rd party software vendors stopped their Kylix/CLX
development, so I didnt upgrade my 3rd parties.
Now, I will not put any item about kylix and delphi in my 2006 budget.
I heard Borland has new CEO. I hope he hears my voice...
If he need a little clue, Delphi/Kylix for mobile devices may be good...
We use VB6 here for programming RF hand terminals
See you...

Re:Who will get my money?

Hür Akdülger wrote:
[...]

latest lazarus release is exceptionnal and target also win32-linux-MacOS
fpc 2.11 target native WindowsCE/ Windows Mobile 2003
and generated native exe very FAAST !
perhaps ECO and TOGETHER available for lazarus next year ? :)

Re:Who will get my money?

fpc 2.11 target native WindowsCE/ Windows Mobile 2003
and generated native exe very FAAST !
Where I can find info about this!
--
Mutis: The open source indexing/search engine for Delphi
(Alpha stage: Developers Wanted!)

{smallsort}

Re:Who will get my money?

mamcx schrieb:
>fpc 2.11 target native WindowsCE/ Windows Mobile 2003
>and generated native exe very FAAST !

Where I can find info about this!

www.freepascal.org/wiki/index.php/WinCE_port

Re:Who will get my money?

On 2005-11-18, XXXX@XXXXX.COM < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

latest lazarus release is exceptionnal and target also win32-linux-MacOS

fpc 2.11 target native WindowsCE/ Windows Mobile 2003
and generated native exe very FAAST !

perhaps ECO and TOGETHER available for lazarus next year ? :)
Afaik ECO is .NET and FPC doesn't plan any .NET activities atm. .NET has
Borlands main focus, and Borland is already working on compact framework
support, so there would be no added value.

Re:Who will get my money?

Hey don't forget that their is also a port of FPC on the way for GBA for
those of us game developers out their :).
Jeremy
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:437dbafa$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Hür Akdülger wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I work on a logistics company as a developer.
>My company use inhouse developed softwares.
>In 2003 I checked Kylix3.
>Then I planned move sources to cross-platform.
>I bought Developer Express CLX components, Developer Express EWF,
>TMS Planner, Cross Platform desktop style databases...
>I convert my sources to CLX (cross platform).
>
>In my 2004 budget, there were items exist, for Kylix and Delphi upgrade
>cost.
>Kylix 4 didn't released I didnt updgre to D8.
>In my 2005 budget, there were items exist again, for Kylix and Delphi
>upgrade cost.
>Kylix 4 didn't released I didnt updgre to D2005.
>As you know, other 3rd party software vendors stopped their Kylix/CLX
>development, so I didnt upgrade my 3rd parties.
>
>Now, I will not put any item about kylix and delphi in my 2006 budget.
>
>I heard Borland has new CEO. I hope he hears my voice...
>If he need a little clue, Delphi/Kylix for mobile devices may be good...
>We use VB6 here for programming RF hand terminals
>
>See you...

latest lazarus release is exceptionnal and target also win32-linux-MacOS

fpc 2.11 target native WindowsCE/ Windows Mobile 2003
and generated native exe very FAAST !

perhaps ECO and TOGETHER available for lazarus next year ? :)

Re:Who will get my money?

Personally I'm suggesting my clients run with Chrome and .NET/Mono I've
found it to work very well and movement for an active Delphi/Kylix developer
isn't that difficult. Ok Team B kill my post for not pushing Borland.
Jeremy
"Hür Akdülger" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

I thought, in 1999-2001, that linux will be in at least 30 or 40% of the
desktops of the world.
But now, falling 2005, there is no sign of linux on the desktop.
I think that Windows will be the {*word*109} OS on desktop at least for the 5
to 10 years in the future. As matter of fact I'm advising to my customers
to stay with Windows, I'm lefting linux only for server user.
Why bother with cross platform if M$ will be in the desktop for the next
lustrum or decade?
I'm begining to play and develop with the new VS 2005.
I left my technician and anti-M$ hat in the closet, I want to make money
with my apps.
Regards.

Re:Who will get my money?

ssamayoa schrieb:
I thought, in 1999-2001, that linux will be in at least 30 or 40% of the
desktops of the world.

But now, falling 2005, there is no sign of linux on the desktop.
I think that Windows will be the {*word*109} OS on desktop at least for the 5
to 10 years in the future. As matter of fact I'm advising to my customers
to stay with Windows, I'm lefting linux only for server user.

Why bother with cross platform if M$ will be in the desktop for the next
lustrum or decade?

I'm begining to play and develop with the new VS 2005.

I left my technician and anti-M$ hat in the closet, I want to make money
with my apps.

Regards.

Blah blah blah....

Re:Who will get my money?

"ssamayoa" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
I thought, in 1999-2001, that linux will be in at least 30 or 40% of the
desktops of the world.
Every year there are claims of various linux people about next year is "year
of Linux", "30%..40% percent on desktop", "Microsoft's death" and so on.
Every year nothing changes.

Re:Who will get my money?

ssamayoa wrote:
I thought, in 1999-2001, that linux will be in at least 30 or 40% of the
desktops of the world.

But now, falling 2005, there is no sign of linux on the desktop.
I think that Windows will be the {*word*109} OS on desktop at least for the 5
to 10 years in the future. As matter of fact I'm advising to my customers
to stay with Windows, I'm lefting linux only for server user.

i think this is due to a lack of business applications
i mean, for office purposes OpenOffice+firebird+thunderbird is perfect
but many other daily used applications are missing
for corporate companies : ERP clients, Lotus Notes clients...
and for small companies : accounting, budget, appointments ... softwares
and to complicate this each country have is own official required
documents formats(tax dept), VAT in US is a little bit complicated...
also, there is weight of habitude...but things are changing slowly
Why bother with cross platform if M$ will be in the desktop for the next
lustrum or decade?

I'm begining to play and develop with the new VS 2005.

I left my technician and anti-M$ hat in the closet, I want to make money
with my apps.

it's difficult to be objective
but at least from the technical point of view, i've 3 remaks regarding
this NEW intermediate layer that MS created and is hardly marketing
called 'NET Frameword'
1?technical innovation
on one side CPU powerfullness is always improving
and on another side a new intermediate layer is introduced.
claming no, no it's not pcode, it's compiled.
look a little bit CIL specs, it's an unexisting cpu, with an unexisting
instruction set, opcods, data structures...
all this have to be compiled ok but then ... no cpu can uses this nativeli !
it's the same as making a AMD64 compiler in 1990, resulting code
should have to interpreted again to be usable.
so all these compiled stuffs have then to be translated
by an engine that will traduce this in native code.
this only have consequencemake to make YOUR code extremely {*word*60} to the OS
and perhaps in 2010 they will release a new MS CIL CPU understanding
natively wich is for the moment nothing else than another pcode :)
first there was only VB now they plan to put the complete OS in PCODE !
very good
2?needs
earning money is coding faster complex things and bug free (nearly free :) )
this could be achieved with higher level objects, more business
frameworks with big rock solid objects libraries...
if they not exist i must make my own and if i have to they must be
portable...
instead of this, what new thing do you find in VS :
-TLabel, TCheckBox, Timage, TTreeview...
ho, it's seems something 'déj?vue'
just reinventing a 10 years old wheel !
very good
3?remember what happened to MFC ->deprecated
jet engine, ado remote dataset ->deprecated
cautiousness, it seems that lifetime ms technologies can be short and
can change like the wind...
the risk is to drop the time you spent to learn it, drop your code and
learn again.
Regards.

Re:Who will get my money?

I heard Borland has new CEO. I hope he hears my voice...
If I had Linux /needs/ I would probably start
thinking about donating time or $$ to Lazarus...
best regards
Thomas

Re:Who will get my money?

"ssamayoa" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I thought, in 1999-2001, that linux will be in at least 30 or 40% of the
desktops of the world.

Why bother with cross platform if M$ will be in the desktop for the next
lustrum or decade?
How about web based app? any desktop can use.

I'm begining to play and develop with the new VS 2005.
What are the things that will keep developer in Delphi? ECO is the only one
missing in vs2005?

Re:Who will get my money?

Also not forget that VS 2005 is ONLY for NET 2.0 development... is
necesary use VS2003 for .NET 1.1... so be in the MS is very costly
(costly as time/effort not money...)
--
Mutis: The open source indexing/search engine for Delphi
(Alpha stage: Developers Wanted!)
AnyNet: Convert ANY .NET assembly to (almost!) working Delphi code!
(Beta stage)
mutis.sourceforge.net/

Re:Who will get my money?

Hi Ender
I agree, there has been a lot of talk over the years about this is the
year for Linux. Nothing happens quick, but there is a movement,
although slow.
I am working with a big client, converting their all Windows
applications, to Linux. We will start rolling out the Linux OS and
applications mid to end next year. That is 250 franchises at the
moment, in a little country called South Africa. Linux market share is
growing slowly every year.
Regards,
- Graeme -