Re: How to make Kylix application deployment much easier

2004-08-01 10:47:54 PM
kylix1
Willibald Krenn wrote:
[...]
It's always cool on Linux when you do a rpm install, then type the
application name on prompt - and nothing happens. Bad luck - now you
have to search for the binary (cause you don't know where it has gone)
and modify some searchpath. (So much for Linux and standards..)
[...]
If you install extra software via RPM into its own directory, it should
also update /etc/profile etc for the PATH variable. As this only gets
read at login time them I'm not surprised it does not work.

Re:Re: How to make Kylix application deployment much easier

dk_sz wrote:
>works on Window not always in Linux. The whole thing could work
>perfectly if you assume the location for your application or better

Just an observer: Holy God! I would rather write an app that couldn't
run on some systems (because of e.g. ParamStr not working etc.)
that doing something like above...

I know what you mean but Linux works like this.. the whole concept of
"looking for itself" is virtually nonexistent, all the unnecessary
complexity that comes with it is removed; for example you know what
the /bin director contains, you know what the /usr/bin directory
contains, you know what the /etc directory contain and so on.. you
have well organized system in which everything is clearly predefined
so the application do not need to work so hard... look on Kylix, like
it is installed; the installer give to the user a very limited option
in all cases you have /kylix3 directory the directory contains
/bin director and so on .. and you have the ~/.borland directory...
it is all fixed and predefined, it simplifies greatly the whole
system and coding. That way you have everything in order and you
know where everything is and you do not need to look for it all over..
there are the conceptual difference in Unix systems, but it doesn't
mean that you absolutely cannot do it differently.. that's Linux... ;-)
juliusz
--
InstallMade - Kylix-specific installer
www.superobject.com/installmade/

Re:Re: How to make Kylix application deployment much easier

works on Window not always in Linux. The whole thing could work
perfectly if you assume the location for your application or better
Just an observer: Holy God! I would rather write an app that couldn't
run on some systems (because of e.g. ParamStr not working etc.)
that doing something like above...
best regards...
Thomas

{smallsort}