The problem is the hardcodedness with the glibc libraries

2004-08-16 10:20:52 PM
kylix2
Hi,
I'm tom and I want to speak in behalf of the Kylix community
regardless Open, Professional or Enterprice Edition. Therefore
I'd like to use 'we' instead of 'I'.
We're using Kylix 3 Pro under SuSE 7.3 without any single
problem, since SuSE 7.2 provides the correct version of the Linux
and QT librararies. All subsequent upgrades of Linus SuSE 8.0 and
up are the cause of the Kylix blues many people are facing, since
the library versions no longer match. We've spent a lot of money
for Kylix: 569.00 Dutch guilders for K1, 385.00 dutch Guilders
for each K2 and K3 upgrades.
Our problem is that Borland seems to not doing a lot work for
this group of people. We find that Borland can do four things
with Kylix:
1) Make (a part of) it open-source
2) Sell it to a company who is willing to update it to the latest
kernel and glibc verions. An AMD64 mode is also welcome!
3) Continue to work with Kylix so that version conflicts don't
bother. OpenOffice and Java both are compiled with the newest
GC compiler suite, but run flawlessly on my computer on which
I installed SuSE 7.3. This is the proof that brand new
software can run flawlessly on and old version of Linux and
glibc!
4) Why not putting Delphi 8.0 (.NET version) to Mono?
We hope that Borland doesn't let us sit in the cold.
Kylix tied to a fixed version of glibc and qt is like a prisoner
keeping handcuffed and feetcuffed whilst in cell.
Please remove that tie!
Tom

Re:The problem is the hardcodedness with the glibc libraries

Tom wrote:
1) Make (a part of) it open-source
The CLX is open source.
3) Continue to work with Kylix so that version conflicts don't
bother. OpenOffice and Java both are compiled with the newest
GC compiler suite, but run flawlessly on my computer on which
I installed SuSE 7.3. This is the proof that brand new
software can run flawlessly on and old version of Linux and
glibc!
Does OpenOffice have an intergrated De{*word*81}?
4) Why not putting Delphi 8.0 (.NET version) to Mono?
Mono is a story for itself. I have a program that was started under Linux.
But C#Builder stands in no comparision to MonoDevelop and so I have worked
on the program under Windows with MS.NET. When it was finished and bug
tested, I switched back to Linux and wanted to compile and run it. The
intension is on "wanted". The application crashed. And I'm trying to find
the Mono bug for one week now. But what should I say if a function like
"String.GetLastIndexOf()" returns -1 even if the substring is in the
string? Mono still has a long way to go.
Kylix tied to a fixed version of glibc
For me the Delphi programs still work with the newest glibc. Only the IDE
has problem that mostly come from the out-dated wineserver that also has
problems with the 2.6 Kernel.
and qt is like a prisoner
I'm working on a Qt 3.3 import unit. The first version 0.1 of Qt3 for
Kylix can be found here: unvclx.sourceforge.net But it is GPL code.
( I do not have the money to buy a license from Trolltech that Borland had
bought for Qt 2. :-) ).
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Tom wrote:
We're using Kylix 3 Pro under SuSE 7.3 without any single
problem, since SuSE 7.2 provides the correct version of the Linux
and QT librararies.
All subsequent upgrades of Linus SuSE 8.0 and
up are the cause of the Kylix blues many people are facing, since
the library versions no longer match. We've spent a lot of money
for Kylix: 569.00 Dutch guilders for K1, 385.00 dutch Guilders
for each K2 and K3 upgrades.
So true.
1) Make (a part of) it open-source
2) Sell it to a company who is willing to update it to the latest
kernel and glibc verions. An AMD64 mode is also welcome!
3) Continue to work with Kylix so that version conflicts don't
bother. OpenOffice and Java both are compiled with the newest
GC compiler suite, but run flawlessly on my computer on which
I installed SuSE 7.3. This is the proof that brand new
software can run flawlessly on and old version of Linux and
glibc!
4) Why not putting Delphi 8.0 (.NET version) to Mono?
As far as I am concerned, s{*word*99} the IDE and the de{*word*81}, create a good RAD
UI designer and integrate that designer and de commandline compiler in
KDevelop. Now /that/ would make me happy.
--
Ruurd

{smallsort}

Ruurd wrote:
As far as I am concerned, s{*word*99} the IDE and the de{*word*81}, create a good RAD
UI designer and integrate that designer and de commandline compiler in
KDevelop. Now /that/ would make me happy.

This is even better than my suggestion to make the IDE
open-source: we would be definitely be freed from WINE, one
of the components that's responsible for the hardcodedness of
Kylix.
Tom