Deployment

2005-03-17 12:19:52 AM
kylix0
I use Kylix 3 and wanted to deploy a simple graphic application.
The problem that on the foreign system I always encounter an error
(AnsiString method not found or something like this) although I nearly
copied all libx*.so from the /usr/local/kylix3/bin directory, fixed the
symbol links and used a shell script wich points the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable to this directory.
Could it be that the qt lib is out of date on the foreign system?
How can I easyly check which lib is missing?
Kind regards
Michael Rabatscher

Re:Deployment

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:19:52 +0100, Rabatscher Michael wrote:
I use Kylix 3 and wanted to deploy a simple graphic application.
[...]
Could it be that the qt lib is out of date on the foreign system?
Short answer: you need to deploy the libborqt library:
www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Kylix/deployment.htm
-- because if anything the qt on the foreign system is insufficiently out
of date, and use something along the lines of Andreas Hausladen's
QBindings unit:
unvclx.sourceforge.net/downloads/unitcomp/QBindings.tar.gz

Re:Deployment

Although, come to notice it, TreePad Lite for Linux has somehow integrated
the runtime into the main executable, which I thought was
famously impossible.

{smallsort}

Re:Deployment

I stand corrected: it's not the main executable, it's an InstallMade file.
The library's still separate.

Re:Deployment

Why I would care how it is done? I am an average mouse-clicker, click,
click, click, when I click on the exe it works. That’s all I want to
know! ;)) Seriously, AFAIC this nifty little installer does the job
beautifully. I love it! I have better things to do than struggle with
LD_LIBRARY and {*word*99}!
Forrest wrote:
I stand corrected: it's not the main executable, it's an InstallMade file.
The library's still separate.

Re:Deployment

I can't figure out how to tell what bpl files and other dependencies need to
be included when deploying a BCB application. I have tried to use
Installshield but it seems to want the user to figure this out for himself.
So, I'm reduced to running the program on a fresh system, finding the
dependency, including it and then running it again. Isn't there an easier
way to do this ?
Thanks,
Curt

Re:Deployment

hello all
I developed an aspx application with delphi 2005
I have used interbase6
database is working fine with winXP
It doesnt work with windows 2003 server IIS
I use my own dedicated web server machine what connected to the web.
I have tried all options as loading necessary dll files to search path as
bin directory of the application
I have install interbase6 onto server machine and setup the database
After deployment aspx pages are working bbut the moment bdpdataadapter what
connects the interbase is active true error pages return as unavailable
database message
I am lost please help why system is working on winXP and not in 2003
server
Eddie

Re:Deployment

When using IB 6 with an ISAPI DLL for IIS, your code must be
thread-safe. In IB 6, this means that you must make a "remote"
connection (even if it's just to localhost).
Also, the BDE cannot be made thread-safe. It's supposed to be
thread-safe if you use one TDatabase per thread, but there are
threading bugs. IIRC, the bugs are in blob and error handling.
Using a "remote" connection will probably get rid of the "unavailable
database" error, but you'll still have to deal with thread-safety.
Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it's good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Re:Deployment

What is the solution ?
I didnt get it properly
Must I set up interbase server software as remote while it is local on
webserver machine ? is that you meant? must I keep the interbase server
software in a remote machine and setup to server you meant ? Another thing
is does newer versions of interbases also have this threat-safety problems
or this only for IB6 ? Can I use interbase database for shared hostings ?
I have my own server I can load anything on it but I cant use interbase. If
is that case and using interbase is so difficult then why borland makes
such a connection components and advertising like so much quality and good
so.. on. What ever I do then I have to work to discover another mystery
with borland systems. Now I have to discover why interbase doesnt work on
winserver2003. please help what exactly I must do to employ interbase
database on winserver2003 or at shared server as hosting space?
Eddie
"Craig Stuntz [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM [a.k.a. acm.org]>, haber
iletisinde sunlari yazdi:47161fd2$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
When using IB 6 with an ISAPI DLL for IIS, your code must be
thread-safe. In IB 6, this means that you must make a "remote"
connection (even if it's just to localhost).

Also, the BDE cannot be made thread-safe. It's supposed to be
thread-safe if you use one TDatabase per thread, but there are
threading bugs. IIRC, the bugs are in blob and error handling.

Using a "remote" connection will probably get rid of the "unavailable
database" error, but you'll still have to deal with thread-safety.

Borland newsgroup denizen Sergio González has a new CD of
Irish music out, and it's good: tinyurl.com/7hgfr

Re:Deployment

Eddie wrote:
What is the solution ?
You *cannot* use the BDE for an ISAPI DLL.
You should connect via TCP/IP and localhost when the ISAPI DLL and the
IB server are on the same machine.
Borland *doesn't* promote the BDE/SQL Links. It's been depreacted for
years.
This is actually not hard if you:
1) Use supported connectivity components.
2) Realize that ISAPI DLLs are by definition multi-threaded and follow
the usual rules for multi-threading in Delphi, and:
3) Follow the well-documented and extremely simple rules for connecting
to IB 6 from concurrent threads in a process, namely that you use
separate database connections per concurrent threads.
With all that said, IB 6 predates Server 2003 by several years, and
hence was never supported on Server 2003. This is *not* what is causing
your problem, but can cause others (notably, slow connections) down the
line.