What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

2003-11-22 02:45:02 AM
kylix0
Borland said that Kylix will not be updated till 2005. This means we have
at least two years with the buggy IDE that may or may not work under the
distributions that will come out in these two years.
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation? For the debug process the gnu de{*word*81} gdb
can be used.
I know there is the Lazarus project but it uses the free pascal compiler
and that means no packages and "IDE package plugin"-system. dcc is not
that buggy and it is a real native application.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation? For the debug process the gnu de{*word*81} gdb
can be used.

I know there is the Lazarus project but it uses the free pascal compiler
and that means no packages and "IDE package plugin"-system. dcc is not
that buggy and it is a real native application.
And what about an Eclipse plugin for Kylix/Delphi (or simply Object Pascal)
projects?
Ciao, Dean

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Borland said that Kylix will not be updated till 2005. This means we have
at least two years with the buggy IDE that may or may not work under the
distributions that will come out in these two years.
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation? For the debug process the gnu de{*word*81} gdb
can be used.
Good idea!
Actually I would be willing to help; My main interest would be to implement
a (Delphi) parser for features like code completion, all sorts of
refactoring (_deeply_ missed in Delphi), class browsing, limited generics,
design by contract (pre/post conditions)....
Anyone already worked with this toolkit: www.first.gmd.de/cocktail/ ?
BTW: If we ever create the IDE, we should also allow a call to the free
pascal compiler for compilation...
Now, how do we call it? "Kylix Reloaded" or "Kylix Revolutions" (No, I don't
want to imply that our IDE will be not as good as the original *g* )
Willi

{smallsort}

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

juliusz wrote:
The problem I can see is the de{*word*81}
dcc can produce gdb symbol tables. This means that we can use gdb for
debugging like ddd and kgdb do.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen
(www.kylix-patch.de.vu VisualCLX and Kylix patches)

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag

The new Kylix IDE editor could be based on KWrite. It has many nice
features, ...
Hmm, what about SynEdit (the Delphi component?)
Willi

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

Andreas, have you considered contacting Borland directly? It seems you have
become the unofficial spokesman for the product. Perhaps if you did contact
them they would be willing to help.
"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Borland said that Kylix will not be updated till 2005. This means we have
at least two years with the buggy IDE that may or may not work under the
distributions that will come out in these two years.
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation? For the debug process the gnu de{*word*81} gdb
can be used.

I know there is the Lazarus project but it uses the free pascal compiler
and that means no packages and "IDE package plugin"-system. dcc is not
that buggy and it is a real native application.

--
Regards,

Andreas Hausladen
(www.kylix-patch.de.vu VisualCLX and Kylix patches)

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

Should such an effort include the use of GTK as opposed to Qt? It would be
nice not to have to wait on Borland to release updated versions of the Qt
wrapper in order to take advantage of newer widgets.
Borland said that Kylix will not be updated till 2005. This means we have
at least two years with the buggy IDE that may or may not work under the
distributions that will come out in these two years.
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation? For the debug process the gnu de{*word*81} gdb
can be used.

I know there is the Lazarus project but it uses the free pascal compiler
and that means no packages and "IDE package plugin"-system. dcc is not
that buggy and it is a real native application.

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation?
For an editor, I can't see much problem. But for a forms designer, that
sounds like a nightmare, because of the widget set issues. Instead of
borQT, you will have xxxQT and xxxGTK and xxxWX and so on ad infinitum.
One form designer for all that would be huge, and several would be a
nightmare to maintain.

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Borland said that Kylix will not be updated till 2005. This means we have
at least two years with the buggy IDE that may or may not work under the
distributions that will come out in these two years.
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation? For the debug process the gnu de{*word*81} gdb
can be used.

It is a good idea; replacement for the environmentally fragile Kylix
IDE based on very old version of WineLib. The problem I can see is
the de{*word*81}, it is very sophisticated and important part of Kylix and
it would be very hard to replace it. If it would be possible to reuse
the existing Kylix de{*word*81} somehow, for example by running the new
native IDE concurrently with installed Kylix 3.. I think, some
unofficial help from Borland would be necessary to make such project
moving fast forward. since they know all the details how the de{*word*81}
is invoked ..
juliusz

juliusz wrote:

It is a good idea; replacement for the environmentally fragile Kylix IDE
based on very old version of WineLib.
The new Kylix IDE editor could be based on KWrite. It has many nice
features, for example like the "collapsing paragraphs" for C++ code.
It could be adapted for Delphi "begin/end;"
juliusz

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

Hi Andreas what you suggest is ok in theory and if you
get it of the ground I think it will take longer than 2years.
The Lazarus project has already completed a lot of mileage
and if guys want to get involved in such a project then the
time may well be better spent on Lazarus.
If on the other hand you can talk Borland into it you would
have a huge following if they let you fix Kylix.
The Kylix community could do with some white knight like
yourself to lift it up. So just say the word and I will start a
lobby Borland campaign
Thanks for all your kind work on Kylix.
Rita

Rita wrote:
Hi Andreas what you suggest is ok in theory and if you
get it of the ground I think it will take longer than 2years.
The Lazarus project has already completed a lot of mileage
and if guys want to get involved in such a project then the
time may well be better spent on Lazarus.
No. The Lazarus developer team does not want to support Kylix (Delphi). I
abondonded my LCL port to Delphi and incorporated only my bug fixes. But
as long the Free Pascal Compiler is not 99% Delphi compatible this is no
solution for me.
--

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Why not write a new RAD IDE with CLX (without WineLib) that uses dcc (and
maybe bc++) for compilation? For the debug process the gnu de{*word*81} gdb
can be used.
Why not integrate the kylix stuff in kdevelop? The groundwork has been done,
it supports several languages, and Kylix would be a good addition I think.
--
Ruurd

Re:What about a new IDE for dcc and bc++

Upgrading GCC Pascal to be compatible with Delphi and giving it an IDE
would be great. But I suppose a _huge_ task.
-Michael

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:39:33 +0100, Michael Schnell wrote:
Upgrading GCC Pascal to be compatible with Delphi
This will be impossible unless you fork it. The GNU Pascal people afaik
don't believe that they should take any features other than ISO Pascal (or
something).
Better try Freepascal, it supports most if not all delphi things already.
I recently added reference counted exceptions ;-)
johannes