Motor giant Ford to move to Linux

Re:Motor giant Ford to move to Linux

"James Presley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32837.html
No surprise there. Lots of companies migrating to Linux from proprietary
*nix on the *server* side. The transition is relatively easy and cost
effective. The overall impact on MS has been limited, recent stats show
them doing well (up 22%) on the server side.
www.entmag.com/news/article.asp
The big loser in all this appears to be Sun.
What is not happening is any discernable movement toward Linux on the
*client* side; for obvious reasons IMO. From your Ford reference:
"But presumably there are still going to be Windows clients in there ..."
I think the hope was that Kylix would help trigger a client side transition.
Instead, it has illustrated by example why this is unlikely any time soon.

Re:Motor giant Ford to move to Linux

James Presley wrote:
Martin

{smallsort}

On 16/09/2003 "James Presley" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32837.html

It seems Ford have denied this, but SuSE are indicating they are doing
something with them. We'll have to wait and see...
newsforge.com/newsforge/03/09/15/228202.shtml