Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

2005-09-10 05:53:23 AM
kylix1
Hy everyone
I post here because I think the problem involve our ancient Kylix or my
scarce knowledge of GNU/Linux.
I did a very little test with Kylix 3 to access a 3 row table, like this
one:
INSERT INTO APP_CFG (NOMBRE, VALOR) VALUES('TEST01', 'NAME01');
INSERT INTO APP_CFG (NOMBRE, VALOR) VALUES('TEST02', 'LLLLLL');
INSERT INTO APP_CFG (NOMBRE, VALOR) VALUES('TEST03', 'ÑÑÑÑÑÑÑ');
The last row is my problem.
As a side note: If you can't see it, it is the letter that we, Spanish
spoken people, use and English people don't. As in the name of the
language: 'espaÑol'.
ASCII values in decimal: 164 or 165.
I did a console and GUI test to see that field value, but the only thing
that I see in the Kylix IDE while debugging
was:'#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1'. And the GUI application running only
shows: '???????'.
If anyone have a clue of what I need to configure, please tell me.
The GUI was tested with the components:
FIBPlus
dbExpress
Zeos
IBX
and the console with dbExpress. I think only miss the IBObject beta for
Kylix. I don't have it.
In Delphi7 everything works as expected.
The project can be found here:
espanol.f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/ggaaaff
espanol.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/ggaaaff
under the directory PUBLIC. If you can't see it, give me other method and
I gladly send the project to you.
Thanks for the help
Gustavo AF
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: www.opera.com/mail/

Re:Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

Hi Gustavo,
I believe that the problem your having with with the character set(s).
Firebird itself controls the character settings not delphi. So when you configure/
create your firebird database you have to expressly tell the database what your
character set for the gdb file is going to be. So I think that you should post this
question over on the Firebird support group as you'll probably find more information
over there.
groups.yahoo.com/groups/firebird-support
Or at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Ryan.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:53:23 -0500, "Gustavo Agudelo Frias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

I post here because I think the problem involve our ancient Kylix or my
scarce knowledge of GNU/Linux.
<snip>

Re:Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

Hy
Thanks Ryan for taking the time to write to me.
Anyone give me a second chance review. For this reason:
I did the test (which I put in Yahoo briefcase) in Kylix 3 that doesn't
show the right charset, but that very same test runs perfectly in Delphi 7.
So this is the reason I post here and not in firebird-support. Besides,
they said in its description:
Questions that pertain to the use of third-party client development tools,
e.g. Delphi, Java, PHP, Python, ODBC, .NET, etc., are not welcome. There
are dedicated lists for these questions.
I KNOW that my question seems very very trivial but I'm with Delphi since
version 3 and the same with Interbase. And then switch to Firebird. So
I've been using DB components a long time in windows. And now for 4 months
I've been playing in Linux with the same distro (Redhat9) and this problem
have just arise.
Thanks for read

{smallsort}

Re:Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

PROBLEM SOLVED
Just add the line:
export LANG=es_ES
To the script that start the Delphi IDE in Kylix:
/kylix3/bin/startdelphi
I found what was happening because I started the script in console mode
and there it complain in this way:
[root@GAAF-RH9 root]# /usr/local/kylix3/bin/startdelphi
For language 'es_ES.UTF-8' several language ids were found:
es_ES - 040A; es_ES - 0C0A;
Instead of using the first entry in the list, it is suggested that you
define your LANG environment variable like this: LANG=es_ES
Thanks a lot to the people that let that warning message float to the
surface. :-)
Bye.
--
Gustavo AF