Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

2005-09-10 05:53:23 AM
Hy everyone
I post here because I think the problem involve our ancient Kylix or my
scarce knowledge of GNU/Linux.
I did a very little test with Kylix 3 to access a 3 row table, like this
The last row is my problem.
As a side note: If you can't see it, it is the letter that we, Spanish
spoken people, use and English people don't. As in the name of the
language: 'espaÑol'.
ASCII values in decimal: 164 or 165.
I did a console and GUI test to see that field value, but the only thing
that I see in the Kylix IDE while debugging
was:'#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1#$D1'. And the GUI application running only
shows: '???????'.
If anyone have a clue of what I need to configure, please tell me.
The GUI was tested with the components:
and the console with dbExpress. I think only miss the IBObject beta for
Kylix. I don't have it.
In Delphi7 everything works as expected.
The project can be found here:
under the directory PUBLIC. If you can't see it, give me other method and
I gladly send the project to you.
Thanks for the help
Gustavo AF

Re:Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

Hi Gustavo,
I believe that the problem your having with with the character set(s).
Firebird itself controls the character settings not delphi. So when you configure/
create your firebird database you have to expressly tell the database what your
character set for the gdb file is going to be. So I think that you should post this
question over on the Firebird support group as you'll probably find more information
over there.
Or at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction.
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:53:23 -0500, "Gustavo Agudelo Frias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

I post here because I think the problem involve our ancient Kylix or my
scarce knowledge of GNU/Linux.

Re:Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

Thanks Ryan for taking the time to write to me.
Anyone give me a second chance review. For this reason:
I did the test (which I put in Yahoo briefcase) in Kylix 3 that doesn't
show the right charset, but that very same test runs perfectly in Delphi 7.
So this is the reason I post here and not in firebird-support. Besides,
they said in its description:
Questions that pertain to the use of third-party client development tools,
e.g. Delphi, Java, PHP, Python, ODBC, .NET, etc., are not welcome. There
are dedicated lists for these questions.
I KNOW that my question seems very very trivial but I'm with Delphi since
version 3 and the same with Interbase. And then switch to Firebird. So
I've been using DB components a long time in windows. And now for 4 months
I've been playing in Linux with the same distro (Redhat9) and this problem
have just arise.
Thanks for read

Re:Kylix + Firebird + CHARSET=ASCII

Just add the line:
export LANG=es_ES
To the script that start the Delphi IDE in Kylix:
I found what was happening because I started the script in console mode
and there it complain in this way:
[root@GAAF-RH9 root]# /usr/local/kylix3/bin/startdelphi
For language 'es_ES.UTF-8' several language ids were found:
es_ES - 040A; es_ES - 0C0A;
Instead of using the first entry in the list, it is suggested that you
define your LANG environment variable like this: LANG=es_ES
Thanks a lot to the people that let that warning message float to the
surface. :-)
Gustavo AF
Cartagena de Indias, Colombia.