Re: Kylix Community Project - thoughts

2004-09-16 08:44:41 PM
kylix1
Is this truth, rumor or joke ?
Joke.
(would be a good idea, anyway)
Well, AFAIK there is no plan to move fpc to support mono..
Willi
---

Re:Re: Kylix Community Project - thoughts

On 2004-09-15, willi krenn <x@y>wrote:
>>Of course the freepascal guys also have a Windows32 version of Lazarus..
>
>And a Mac OS X, Linux/PPC one :_)

And of course a Mono version is in the works, right ;-)
No. There are no plans for .NET. The investment is too large to be able to
do something short term. (Borland can do this better with its vastly larger
programmer time resources).
I personally also think that Delphi and Delphi.NET are too different beasts
to try to unify them. Again, for Borland that is different due to their
resources (read:fulltimers), and for them it of course it makes sense to
have this situation as migration solution. (however winforms is probably the
way to go long run and also Avalon might require hefty changes to VCL(.NET)
based code. That's only my own personal guestimate of the Borland direction
of course)
See also www.freepascal.org/faq.html

On 2004-09-15, willi krenn <x@y>wrote:
>>>Of course the freepascal guys also have a Windows32 version of
>>>Lazarus..
>>
>>And a Mac OS X, Linux/PPC one :_)
>
>And of course a Mono version is in the works, right ;-)

No [...]
Please see XXXX@XXXXX.COM
This was supposed to be a joke.
Willi
---

On 2004-09-17, willi krenn <x@y>wrote:

>>>And a Mac OS X, Linux/PPC one :_)
>>
>>And of course a Mono version is in the works, right ;-)
>
>No [...]
Please see XXXX@XXXXX.COM
That one was later.
This was supposed to be a joke.
Haha.

Re:Re: Kylix Community Project - thoughts

Andreas Hausladen wrote:

I have a working LCL for Delphi. It is now oudated but it can be compiled
with Delphi. The only problem I have with this is that after offering the
changes to the Lazarus development team, they refused and discared all my
changes. "Why should we remove operator overloading to support Delphi
compilers?" and such comments from them brought me to "discard" the
Lazarus project. On the one hand they want Delphi developers but on the
other had they do not want them, at least the dcc32.exe. But fpc is no
alternative for me at the moment. The Qt3forKylix/Delphi does not work
with it because of some compiler bugs. For my proove of concept I had to
disable many Qt class methods. The newest fpc compiler (CVS) seems to have
fixed this bug, but still no alternative to dcc32.

Since FreePascal has a compiler for Win32, what does using dcc32 buy us?
If you have a good answer, then I will argue the case to include your
changes. Thanks.
--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

Re:Re: Kylix Community Project - thoughts

They still have a lot of work to do without mono and chrome
is already going to support it.
willi krenn wrote:
>Is this truth, rumor or joke ?

Joke.

Thomas Miller wrote:
Since FreePascal has a compiler for Win32, what does using dcc32 buy us?
If you have a good answer, then I will argue the case to include your
changes. Thanks.
These changes are outdated. So we do not have to discuss this because I
will not spend my time in applying the "old" changes to the new files.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

"Thomas Miller" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
They still have a lot of work to do without mono and chrome
is already going to support it.
Well, chrome is not exactly open source - is it? What's the difference to D8
except for new language features and 'official' Mono compliance..
Willi
---

news:414b1525$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>They still have a lot of work to do without mono and chrome
>is already going to support it.

Well, chrome is not exactly open source - is it? What's the difference to D8
except for new language features and 'official' Mono compliance..
Total new IDE. I hope on spectacular improvements in debugging :-)

On 2004-09-17, willi krenn <x@y>wrote:

>"Thomas Miller" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>news:414b1525$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>They still have a lot of work to do without mono and chrome
>>is already going to support it.
>
>Well, chrome is not exactly open source - is it? What's the difference to D8
>except for new language features and 'official' Mono compliance..

Total new IDE. I hope on spectacular improvements in debugging :-)
But this is _only_ for the compiler towards .NET. AFAIK, they supply a
good old D7 for Native Windows support in the package.
-Michael