real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

2004-03-04 07:00:49 PM
kylix0
hello,
is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
from Borland? or others?
So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?
Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)
best regards

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

prom schrieb:
hello,
is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
from Borland? or others?
So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?

Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)
I want a QT3 Wrapper first! ;-)

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

theo wrote:
prom schrieb:
>hello,
>is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
>from Borland? or others?
>So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?
>
>Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)

I want a QT3 Wrapper first! ;-)
me too ;)

{smallsort}

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

It's not impossbile to create a "DelphiX", I just takes some financial
muscle to support some good talent (even programmers have to live a life).
Outside of JBuilder, there is not much that comes close to Delphi & Kylix.
The Lazarus Project is under way, but it has a long way to go.

eWolverine schrieb:
It's not impossbile to create a "DelphiX", I just takes some financial
muscle to support some good talent (even programmers have to live a life).
Outside of JBuilder, there is not much that comes close to Delphi & Kylix.
The Lazarus Project is under way, but it has a long way to go.

yes, i agree ...
the best company that could do this is Borland itself ...
Perhaps IBM speaks with Borland ...
There was a good partnership with Java, perhaps there could also be
such one with DelphiX, let me dream ....
best regards
Gerhard

"prom" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:40470c46$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>hello,
>is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
>from Borland? or others?
>So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?
>
>Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)
>
>best regards

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

I think your on to something...
IBM backing Borland like Microsoft is backing Borland. Microsoft will back
Borland's .NET tools while IBM will back Borland's "Unix" tools. This will
include Java, C++ and "DelphiX".
eWolverine schrieb:

>It's not impossbile to create a "DelphiX", I just takes some financial
>muscle to support some good talent (even programmers have to live a
life).
>Outside of JBuilder, there is not much that comes close to Delphi &
Kylix.
>The Lazarus Project is under way, but it has a long way to go.

yes, i agree ...
the best company that could do this is Borland itself ...
Perhaps IBM speaks with Borland ...
There was a good partnership with Java, perhaps there could also be
such one with DelphiX, let me dream ....

best regards
Gerhard

>"prom" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:40470c46$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>hello,
>>is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
>>from Borland? or others?
>>So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?
>>
>>Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)
>>
>>best regards

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

prom wrote:
hello,
is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
from Borland? or others?
So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?

Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)

best regards
Its not impossible. Have a look at Lazarus.
--
Chris Gordon-Smith
London

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

Microsoft will back
Borland's .NET tools while IBM will back Borland's "Unix" tools. This will
include Java, C++ and "DelphiX".

Why should IBM not back Borland's .NET tools with a decent open source
MONO that might evolve with IBM's sponsoring ? (Just a dream...)
-Michael

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

Lazarus is still very buggy and has not the power of the Kylix IDE.
"Chris Gordon-Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
prom wrote:

>hello,
>is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
>from Borland? or others?
>So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?
>
>Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)
>
>best regards

Its not impossible. Have a look at Lazarus.
--
Chris Gordon-Smith
London
Homepage: graffiti.{*word*269}.net/c.gordon-smith/
Email Address: Please see my Home Page

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

Your idea really makes things interesting. IBM supporting Borland's Java
and .NET. Imagine the RAD tools Borland could deploy with both IBM and
Microsoft backing them with cash.

eWolverine wrote:
Your idea really makes things interesting. IBM supporting Borland's Java
and .NET. Imagine the RAD tools Borland could deploy with both IBM and
Microsoft backing them with cash.

Why wouldn't IBM back IBMs own tools instead? Ever heard of Web Sphere? :)
The only way I could even remotely see this happening, is if Borland became
part of IBM, which I do not know would be a bad thing, as long as IBM let
Borland become a subsidiary and not totally control it.

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

Ace wrote:
Lazarus is still very buggy

kylix too

"Chris Gordon-Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:c286mv$1psc9o$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>prom wrote:
>

>>hello,
>>is it really impossible to make a real Delphi IDE on LINUX?
>>from Borland? or others?
>>So we can port Windows Delphi VCL-Applications to LINUX?
>>
>>Use KYLIX 3 to make a DelphiX 7 for LINUX :)
>>
>>best regards
>
>Its not impossible. Have a look at Lazarus.
>--
>Chris Gordon-Smith
>London
>Homepage: graffiti.{*word*269}.net/c.gordon-smith/
>Email Address: Please see my Home Page

--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

Marc Collin schrieb:
Ace wrote:

>Lazarus is still very buggy

kylix too
Maybe, but compared to Lazarus, Kylix (with Kylixpatches) is a
Rolls-Royce....
I've tried Lazarus (again) last night. Couldn't figure out how to make
an open array or how to do drag and drop, how to change a cursor or a
font..
I love the idea of Lazarus, but it has a loooooong way to go...

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

theo wrote:
Maybe, but compared to Lazarus, Kylix (with Kylixpatches) is a
Rolls-Royce....

I've tried Lazarus (again) last night. Couldn't figure out how to make
an open array or how to do drag and drop, how to change a cursor or a
font..

I love the idea of Lazarus, but it has a loooooong way to go...
That may be true. However, Lazarus looks as though it is going somewhere;
bugs are being fixed every day.
--
Chris Gordon-Smith
London
Homepage: graffiti.{*word*269}.net/c.gordon-smith/
Email Address: Please see my Home Page

Re:real delpni IDE on LINUX ?

Yep, and their mailling list is more active then this group.