Re: What to do with Kylix

2004-02-17 03:16:34 AM
kylix0
"pnichols" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
No I do not know how you would do it, that is my point. How do you track
free operating system usage?
Probably the same way they track television viewership and market share,
with random statistical sampling. If conducted in an un-biased manner it
can provide a reasonable accurate snapshot of the marketplace without having
to resort to personally contacting every last user. Many people; including
some Linux distro vendors, are convinced that the IDC survey meets the
necessary criteria for a statistically valid sample.
Obviously not perfect; there is always room for error but as noted earlier,
it does present the best possible numbers which I'm sure you'll continue to
ignore in favor of your own rhetoric.