Re: What ever happed to the Kylix Community stuff mentioned at Borcon?

2005-02-07 08:21:07 PM
kylix2
On 2005-02-04, Andreas Hausladen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Max wrote:

>There is also planned a WxNet port?

What would be the benefit of wxNet ? < Another .NET widget framework
(CLX.NET) ?
If I understood Jason Southwell correctly (who sent me a header translation
for this), wx.net is not .NET, it is the C++ WXWindows library wrapped in
pure C for easy importing into other languages and compilers (including
.NET)
I myself would prefer to use commonly installed API's and libs though (gtk, QT
win32 etc) over such beast though. Dependancies are evil.

Re:Re: What ever happed to the Kylix Community stuff mentioned at Borcon?

Marco van de Voort wrote:
If I understood Jason Southwell correctly (who sent me a header
translation for this), wx.net is not .NET
It is both. The wx.NET is the project to bring wxWidgets into the managed
world. And for this you need a C++ wrapper library. The same as Qt#. It
also has two parts: libqts.so and qtsharp.dll
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

On 2005-02-04, Andreas Hausladen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Max wrote:
>

>>There is also planned a WxNet port?
>
>What would be the benefit of wxNet ? < Another .NET widget framework
>(CLX.NET) ?

If I understood Jason Southwell correctly (who sent me a header translation
for this), wx.net is not .NET, it is the C++ WXWindows library wrapped in
pure C for easy importing into other languages and compilers (including
.NET)

I myself would prefer to use commonly installed API's and libs though (gtk, QT
win32 etc) over such beast though. Dependancies are evil.

no, it's just another small layer between 2 worlds
and it is not a big pb if result is a multiplatform component library.
what is the complete net framework ? a kind big layer
same for Qt, wx, and GTK
in that case you should directly interface with xlib
and even xlib from a certain point of view is a layer
with graphic card driver... :)

{smallsort}

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Marco van de Voort wrote:

>If I understood Jason Southwell correctly (who sent me a header
>translation for this), wx.net is not .NET

It is both. The wx.NET is the project to bring wxWidgets into the managed
world. And for this you need a C++ wrapper library. The same as Qt#. It
also has two parts: libqts.so and qtsharp.dll

is that mean that next release of FreeCLX will drop all Qt links
and will be fully based on wxWindows library via wx.Net C++ to C wrapper ?

On 2005-02-07, oro06 <"oro06 at sf ">wrote:
Marco van de Voort wrote:
>On 2005-02-04, Andreas Hausladen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>

>If I understood Jason Southwell correctly (who sent me a header translation
>for this), wx.net is not .NET, it is the C++ WXWindows library wrapped in
>pure C for easy importing into other languages and compilers (including
>.NET)
>
>I myself would prefer to use commonly installed API's and libs though (gtk, QT
>win32 etc) over such beast though. Dependancies are evil.

no, it's just another small layer between 2 worlds
and it is not a big pb if result is a multiplatform component library.
what is the complete net framework ? a kind big layer
same for Qt, wx, and GTK
True. But you misunderstand what I meant, or simply totally missed the
"commonly installed" part. I prefer not to use frameworks not installed by
default. So that includes wxwindows, and Qt/GTK outside *nix. Saves a lot of
deployment problems.
.NET is a border case. It will be standard on pretty much every Windows system. However there
are other reasons why I don't like it, at least not for my current uses.
in that case you should directly interface with xlib
and even xlib from a certain point of view is a layer
with graphic card driver... :)
True, but that was not the point.

Re:Re: What ever happed to the Kylix Community stuff mentioned at Borcon?

and as the successes in the solution of obstacles with Borand?