CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

2004-06-04 08:53:58 AM
kylix0
I'm about to release CrossKylix, a free (as in beer and speech) toolkit
to integrate the Kylix compiler into the Delphi Windows IDE.
This project was created for people who wish to develop cross-platform
web/server/middleware applications with Delphi. Up until now doing this
required you to have a seperate Linux installation (either on a dedicated
box or inside VMWare) to recompile your project for the Linux platform.
With CrossKylix this is no longer needed - you are able to build your
project using the Kylix compiler from directly inside your Windows Delphi
IDE, without the requirement of a Linux system.
After a few nights of coding, the project is mostly finished now and
probably will be released this weekend.
I would be nice to have a few betatesters now to check if there are any
compatibility problems I haven't thought about etc.
Requirements for Beta-Testers:
- Delphi 6 or 7
- Windows 2000 or XP
- Kylix 3 (either installed or Installation CD). Other Kylix versions are
welcome for testing, too.
The testers should be at least be a bit skilled in Kylix development, so
they are able to give decent bug reports.
If you are interested, please drop me a mail, and I'll send you the current
beta.
Thanks,
Simon

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

Hi Simon,
I'm about to release CrossKylix, a free (as in beer and speech) toolkit
to integrate the Kylix compiler into the Delphi Windows IDE.
Sounds very interesting.
I would be nice to have a few betatesters now to check if there are any
compatibility problems I haven't thought about etc.
I would love to give this a look.
Requirements for Beta-Testers:

- Delphi 6 or 7
- Windows 2000 or XP
- Kylix 3 (either installed or Installation CD).
All ready...
The testers should be at least be a bit skilled in Kylix development,
so they are able to give decent bug reports.
I have some Delphi/Kylix single source (with IFDEFs) that can be used as
test candicates... <g>
Simon
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
Delphi Win32 & .NET training en support - IntraWeb Authorized Trainer

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

I'm about to release CrossKylix, a free (as in beer and speech) toolkit
to integrate the Kylix compiler into the Delphi Windows IDE.
How is this possible ?
Sound interesting !
-Michael

{smallsort}

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

>I would be nice to have a few betatesters now to check if there are any
>compatibility problems I haven't thought about etc.

I would love to give this a look.
While testing the first beta myself a few hours ago I noticed it still has
a really {*word*193} bug: It won't write dcu files to disk if these files do not
exist yet (e.g. if there is an old dcu file for a unit, it will happily
compile the unit and write the new dcu, if not, it complains about being
unable to write to disk). Looks like there is still a bug somewhere in the
linux syscall emulation.
So I decided to drop sleep for another day, and am right now hunting that
bug. Everything else is set, as soon as I've found that bug I'll send out
the beta to you and the other interested people.
>The testers should be at least be a bit skilled in Kylix development,
>so they are able to give decent bug reports.

I have some Delphi/Kylix single source (with IFDEFs) that can be used as
test candicates... <g>
Yes, you are skilled enough I guess ;)
Simon

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

While testing the first beta myself a few hours ago I noticed it still has
a really {*word*193} bug: It won't write dcu files to disk if these files do not
....and this is fixed now. It was a bug in cygwin.
I've now sent out the first beta to everyone who requested it :)
Simon

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

How is this possible ?
I'll paste the explanation from the not-yet-public project website:
About
Welcome to CrossKylix, a free (as in beer and speech) toolkit to
integrate the Borland Kylix (Delphi for Linux) compiler into the
Delphi Windows IDE.
This project was created for people who wish to develop cross-platform
web/server/middleware applications with Delphi. Up until now doing
this required you to have a seperate Linux installation (either on a
dedicated box or inside VMWare) to recompile your project for the
Linux platform. With CrossKylix this is no longer needed - you are
able to build your project using the Kylix compiler from directly
inside your Windows Delphi IDE, without the requirement of a Linux
system. Sounds cool? Read on...
How it works
Of course CrossKylix isn't a real cross compiler. The only ones able
to build a real cross compiler would be Borland themselves. CrossKylix
actually is a faked together solution using a lot of tricks to achieve
the goal. But oh well, it works, and that's what counts :)
As you know, the Kylix compiler runs on Linux only. We want it to run
it on Windows. Sounds impossible? Not quite. There is a project called
LINE ("LINE Is Not an Emulator"). What it does is this: "LINE executes
unmodified Linux applications on Windows by intercepting Linux system
calls. The Linux applications themselves are not emulated. They run
directly on the CPU just like all other Windows applications.". What
LINE basicly does is implement an Linux ELF binary loader, load the
process into memory, catch Linux syscalls and redirect them to the
Cygwin DLL, which translates those calls to Windows API functions.
Sadly the project died in early Alpha stage in 2001 and was unable run
the Kylix command line compiler. So I took the LINE sources, ported
them to the current Cygwin version, added all missing syscalls needed
by Kylix, fixed some bugs - and well, now it IS able to run the Kylix
command line compiler (DCC) :)
Next step was writing a Delphi IDE plugin to integrate the compiler.
This plugin adds "Build with CrossKylix" and "Compile with CrossKylix"
items to the Project-menu. During compile, it also parses the output
of the Kylix compiler executed in the background to give out
Hints/Errors to the Delphi messages window - clicking on those brings
you to the source file at the correct line, like it uses to be in
Delphi. So after all, integration is pretty tight - not much
difference to compiling for Windows. One limitation exists: You can't
debug the linux executable.
Another problem to fix was that the Kylix compiler requires a few
shared objects to execute, and sadly Borland hardcoded their search
path to "/lib". Well, we don't have "/lib" on windows, so we need to
patch the compiler binary (dcc). This is covered in detail the
Installation section.
Now you know how it's done.

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

Sounds very interesting .. where can i get a copy?
Cristian Nicola
"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm about to release CrossKylix, a free (as in beer and speech) toolkit
to integrate the Kylix compiler into the Delphi Windows IDE.

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

Sounds very interesting .. where can i get a copy?
Mailed... as soon as I get some feedback from the testers
(so I know it does not just crash everywhere else ;) I'll
release the first version to the public. Maybe later today
or tomorrow.
Simon

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

I am interested. Getting the Linux machine back up this weekend with a Red
Hat 8 distro.
Chris Woodruff
Terralant
XXXX@XXXXX.COM
[...]

Chris, I can not reach you by email:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >:
host tenmast.com [216.248.61.23]:
550 5.0.0 Mail rejected due to possible SPAM
The sending MTA mail.computerman.de (194.162.214.100) is not on any Blacklist,
so probably you have some content filter that does not like my instructions
regarding CrossKylix... ;)
Simon

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

Please send email to XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Thanks
CW
"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I am interested. Getting the Linux machine back up this weekend with a
Red
Hat 8 distro.
Chris, I can not reach you by email:
XXXX@XXXXX.COM :
SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >:
host tenmast.com [216.248.61.23]:
550 5.0.0 Mail rejected due to possible SPAM
The sending MTA mail.computerman.de (194.162.214.100) is not on any
Blacklist,
so probably you have some content filter that does not like my instructions
regarding CrossKylix... ;)
Simon

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

sounds very interesting! i'd like to have a look ;)
hd
"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

Two versions later, this now looks quite stable and working according to
the feedback I get.
Therefore I made the current version (0.7) a public beta. Visit
crosskylix.untergrund.net if you wish to check it out.
If you encounter problems AFTER reading and following the instructions,
please mail me a detailed bug report.
Simon

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

Hi Simon,
Two versions later, this now looks quite stable and working according to
the feedback I get.
It works great; I love it - thanks again for this great toolset!
Therefore I made the current version (0.7) a public beta. Visit
crosskylix.untergrund.net if you wish to check it out.
I've also (finally) announced it on my website...
Simon
Groetjes,
Bob Swart (aka Dr.Bob - www.DrBob42.com)
--
Bob Swart Training & Consultancy (eBob42) Borland Technology Partner
Delphi Win32 & .NET training en support - IntraWeb Authorized Trainer

Re:CrossKylix - Betatesters needed

Simon Kissel wrote:
This is _very_ interesting, but because i'm more at the BCB-side of Kylix,
is there any possibility to get this to work even with C++Builder 6 on
Windows?
regards, Jens
--
Die o.a. Adresse ist OK, wird aber nicht gelesen. Für Mails an mich bitte
"spamtrap" durch "jens.nixdorf" ersetzen.