Open Edition

2004-09-05 08:49:34 AM
kylix1
Hi,
What are the main features of Kylix Open Edition? Can it use IBX? Thanks.
Frank

Re:Open Edition

FrankW wrote:
What are the main features of Kylix Open Edition?
The main feature is that it costs nothing.
Can it use IBX?
The main disadvantage is that has no Database support (missing DB.pas unit)
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Open Edition

Any options available to access Interbase? I don't need those data aware
controls.

FrankW wrote:
Any options available to access Interbase? I don't need those data
aware controls.
I think that UIB has components that work with the open addition.
Don't have an address for it but a search on
www.fulltextsearch.com should give you a match.
Cheers
Dean

Re:Open Edition

With Kylix OE I use the FBLib, a simple collection ob objetc to use
Firebird/Interbase without dataset
fblib.altervista.org
Bye,
Andrea

Re:Open Edition

Any options available to access Interbase? I don't need those data aware
controls.
You can't use anything that's a TDataSet descendant. I've been told that
IBObjects will work with Delphi Personal Edition, but I'm not sure about
Kylix. The Zeos libraries on Sourceforge.net should be another
possibility.
Rick Carter
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Open Edition

What will happen now that Kylix is becoming a community project (as announced in Borcon 2004).Will it become like Interbase & Firebird or will kylix become a truly open source project.
Acrually by making Kylix open source Borland will earn lot of good will.It can earn money also by providing support ( similar to mySql) & charge money for commercial deployments
Venkatesh

Venkatesh VT wrote:

What will happen now that Kylix is becoming a community project (as
announced in Borcon 2004).Will it become like Interbase & Firebird or
will kylix become a truly open source project. Acrually by making
Kylix open source Borland will earn lot of good will.It can earn money
also by providing support ( similar to mySql) & charge money for
commercial deployments Venkatesh
Please do not top post.
Kylix is NOT becoming a community project, CLX (apparently) is.
In fact CLX has been in the "community" since V1.
This just sounds like more smoke and mirrors from Borland.
It will do little to fix the problems in the IDE.
"Rick Carter" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>>Any options available to access Interbase? I don't need those data
>>aware controls.
>
>You can't use anything that's a TDataSet descendant. I've been told
>that IBObjects will work with Delphi Personal Edition, but I'm not
>sure about
>Kylix. The Zeos libraries on Sourceforge.net should be another
>possibility.
>
>Rick Carter
> XXXX@XXXXX.COM
>Chair, Delphi/Paradox SIG, Cincinnati PC Users Group
>
>--- posted by geoForum on delphi.newswhat.com

Re:Open Edition

What are the main features of Kylix Open Edition? Can it use IBX? Thanks.
I have successfull used the Zeos library found on SourceForge with IBX.
The instructions was for Kylix 1, but wasn't to different from Kylix 3.
Regards,
- Graeme -