Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

2003-07-26 12:19:49 AM
kylix1
"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
We all know how crime and punishment correlates..
It doesn't look like the guy I replied to did.
If he did he wouldn't have said what he said so I commented on that.
The discussion you guys were having was compromised by that statement so any
comments on it actually are on-topic.
and any discussion about this here is off-topic specially as you
indicated
that SCO and Linux are totally irrelevant to what you are saying..
See above. Anyhow, generally speaking (and this is what you would call
off-topic), discussions can have small floatations during their course. This
is natural, right and human. How many times did you see something
transforming itself into something else?
THIS, for instance, is an example of that as well. I just diverged on
something different but it's a natural part of the conversation.
It would be interesting however to see what kind of punishment SCO
corporate officers can get for spreading FUD against Linux, what by
itself is not a crime, at least in a legal sense, but because of
inflating SCO stock, therefore potentially defrauding many unaware
investors that took SCO wards at face value. It would be interesting
to see how many people purchase a large quantities of SCO stack just
before SCO announce that they are suing IBM for 1B.. Insider trading
is a serious crime... if all that happened, that is..
It will be interesting for sure.

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

"juliusz" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I am sure that he is perfectly capable of grasping the concept ...
we all do.. ;-)
So you think that if you do something good the day after, you won't get
punished?
If you want to talk about law and punishment concepts .. for that,
the bast place would be the off-topic group ..
No. That was relevant in the context of this thread. That is what started
it.

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

"Ender" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
The driver can refuse to pay, say "f**k off idiots", and probably win the
court because of sign was not visible to him and to anyone, because of
sign
was set incorrectly. A few peoples can easily prove that there is no sign
on
the road, so cops just lying that there is sign. Pure cop's fault.
The driver doesn't choose what to do. The court does.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

In article <3f2148ea$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >, Martin.Waldenburg@T-
Online.de says...
they don't own copyrights to the code donated by IBM.
mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-24-Copyrights_Story01.html

Martin
They're claiming copyright ownership using the broadest definition of
"derivative work" they can get their fingers in.
As to the famous '80 lines' they've been showing people in carefully
controlled labs, the Doctrine of Fair Use likely comes into play:
www.bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html
Of course, I'm sure they'd have you believe those lines are the most
important part of AT&T SysV and negatively impacts on their business.
-- Ritchie Annand
Senior Software Architect
Malibu Software & Engineering Ltd.
Business: www.malibugroup.com
Personal: nimble.nimblebrain.net
Wiki: wiki.nimblebrain.net

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

Tom wrote:

I think this tread is pretty off-topic, but I want to share my
thoughts about this with you all. I've much objections against
SCO:

1) They supported Linux for a long period and now they are
dumping it and leaving their own customers in the dark.
{*word*99}, they are asking their customers to move to Open Server
(I think).
2) Unix is owned by AT&T and it is an open platform.
{*word*99}, Unix the trademark is owned by The Open Group, and the
source (at least SYSV) is owned by Novell (or SCO). AT&T has
not owned it since 1994.
3) They are far (too) late, since this issue is running for a
couple of years.
{*word*99}, time has got nothing to do with it. Unisys did not go
after the LZW patent for many years.
4) There are a lot of companies and private users working with
Linux.
And ?!?!?!?!
5) SCO looks like to follow MS in order to be a Unix monopolist
and that's not good for honest competition.
{*word*99}. Sun, IBM and HP all have perpetual licenses.
Please do everyone a favour and check your facts first and stop
spreading FUD.
www.mailtrap.org.uk/
www.ibrox.demon.co.uk/

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:19:49 -0500, "Alessandro Federici - RemObjects
Software" <alef@[nospam]remobjects.com>wrote:

It doesn't look like the guy I replied to did.
If he did he wouldn't have said what he said so I commented on that.
Ack!
Ender said:
Seems i understand what they want. If they show what places of code is
"stolen" opensource community will quickly rewrite these places and there
is no possibility to demand any money from anyone.
AF said:
ROTFL You're joking, right?
If you are found guilty of stealing, you pay. It doesn't matter what
you do afterwards. You are not not-punished for what you do
afterwards. You are punished for what you did.
I said that's a poor example. Ender is clearly speaking of SCO and
linux source. You were replying to that exact comment. I have no
idea when you decided you were talking about crime and punishment in
general.
AF said:
"So you think that if you do something good the day after, you won't
get punished?"
The answer is in some cases YES. IP example:
Day 1: I start selling my widget RemObjects.
Day 2: AF sends me a letter saying he's used that name for the past
two years and the product already exists.
Day 3: I rename my product and am not punished. I violated your IP,
you informed me, I fixed my end, and that's the end of it. If I
caused any damages to your company you may be entitled to something
more.

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:00:38 +0600, "Ender"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
borland.public.kylix.non-technical:
I think nobody will pay to SCO.
Wrong. Microsoft already did.
Peter Miller
PK Solutions

Ritchie Annand wrote:
They're claiming copyright ownership using the broadest definition of
"derivative work" they can get their fingers in.
ZDNET: SCO's claims have absolutely no credibility
techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2914364,00.html
Fact: SCO's contract with IBM excludes from confidentiality requirements
derivitive work that is "independently created" by IBM.
Proof: www.caldera.com/scosource/ExhibitD.qxd.pdf see 3.04(v) on
page 12.
Martin

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

Bob,
Please don't use the word "{*word*99}" in your comments. That word
suggest of having no respect for the person you comment.
First this is nu FUD at all. I only want to share my thought
and I surely not FUDDING against Linux. I only want to tell that
I'm against SCO.
Tom

Bob Goddard wrote:
{*word*99}, time has got nothing to do with it. Unisys did not go
after the LZW patent for many years.
and patent and copyright law are 2 different things.
--
.. Phoenix

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

"ckd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[..]
>Seems i understand what they want. If they show what places of code is
>"stolen" opensource community will quickly rewrite these places and
there
>is no possibility to demand any money from anyone.
[..]
I said that's a poor example. Ender is clearly speaking of SCO and
linux source. You were replying to that exact comment. I have no
idea when you decided you were talking about crime and punishment in
general.
While doing that, he's suggesting a remedy ("opensource community will
quickly rewrite these places ") for a possible legal episode ("If they show
what places of code is "stolen").
He's the one that used those terms. My comments were perfectly legit.
"So you think that if you do something good the day after, you won't
get punished?"
The answer is in some cases YES.
IP example:
Day 1: I start selling my widget RemObjects.
Day 2: AF sends me a letter saying he's used that name for the past
two years and the product already exists.
Day 3: I rename my product and am not punished. I violated your IP,
you informed me, I fixed my end, and that's the end of it. If I
caused any damages to your company you may be entitled to something
more.
You surely don't expect that to happen right?
If I'd be greedy like SCO is being and I find any legal way to have you pay
for that, you can be sure I will enforce that.
In the moment law is enforced you have to pay. If you don't is because we
settle that before hand. And in the event SCO proves its point, you can be
sure it won't happen.

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

In borland.public.kylix.non-technical, XXXX@XXXXX.COM wrote in
message < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
I think now you're just being stubborn because the distinction is not
that difficult to grasp.
dictionary.reference.com/search
Copyright infringement is definitely stealing.
--
***Posted by Jake's Custom Newsgroup Reader***
Posted using Jake's Super Newsreader 0.9.2.953

Captain Jake wrote:
dictionary.reference.com/search

Copyright infringement is definitely stealing.
definitely not:
www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32004.html
--
.. Phoenix

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

ROTFL You're joking, right?
If you are found guilty of stealing, you pay. It doesn't matter what you
do
afterwards.
You are not not-punished for what you do afterwards. You are punished for
what you did.
If you buy a book that contains copyrighted material of another autor (not
the autor of the book), you are not stealing, you can not be punished, only
the publisher-autor that copies the copyrighted material. Can you imagine a
million book readers paying money to the plagied author, just because they
purchase a book?. This is about copyright , not licenses. That is when a
software company have introduced copyrighted code from anyother company
without permission, the company is punished not every software user.
Note I already have a license from SCO to use Linux (downloaded from the SCO
ftp site), I will use that license (GPL and others licenses) I have no need
to purchase another one, the license provided by SCO have no expiration
date.

Re:Re: We are all going to have to license unixware to use linux

Why the hell does everybody always assume that discussions of ethics are
really just discussions of the law? Has our society really decayed to the
point that ethics have sunk to the legal minimum? Our society is doomed if
we
are depending on *lawyers* to provide guidance on ethics and
morality.
Morality says to me Linux users not stealed anything, maybe some company/guy
infringed copyright and must pay for it, after SCO probes the infringement
anybody can remove the infringements and replace it with GPL copyrighted
code.
Also if SCO proves the copyright infringement then my ethic says to me to
replace my Linux instalations with other Linux installations with no
copyright infringement.