Cross Platform Development

2005-07-29 02:38:31 AM
kylix1
Hi there,
I know this has been debated before but I need a review (pointers for
further reading more than welcome).
With Kylix up in the air, what are the current options for Linux/Win32
development? I'm just looking at the CrossKylix website right now. Are
there other methods folks would care to comment on?
Regards,
Rob

Re:Cross Platform Development

"Robby Tanner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hi there,

I know this has been debated before but I need a review (pointers for
further reading more than welcome).

With Kylix up in the air, what are the current options for Linux/Win32
development? I'm just looking at the CrossKylix website right now. Are
there other methods folks would care to comment on?
In what language ? Pascal or C++ ?
Jonathan

Re:Cross Platform Development

I know this has been debated before but I need a review (pointers for
further reading more than welcome).

With Kylix up in the air, what are the current options for Linux/Win32
development? I'm just looking at the CrossKylix website right now. Are
there other methods folks would care to comment on?
There are several routes:
- CrossKylix (this will only be a permanent solution if you trust Borland
to sooner or later pick up Kylix again for an update)
- CrossFPC (work in progress, will embed the FPC compiler targetting Linux
into the Delphi IDE, basicly the same as CrossKylix, but with an updated
compiler)
- Lazarus
- FreePascal
- Delphi 2005 + Mono
Depending on what your needs are, all these routes have advantages and drawbacks.
If you are doing server development (cgi, isapi, webservices, intraweb etc),
probably CrossKylix will be the best route to go, with the option to later switch to
CrossFPC.
If you want to do GUI applications and use the Borland-provided toolchain (dbexpress etc),
CrossKylix also is a possible route if you don't mind that your applications won't look
as good as recent QT3 KDE applications.
If you want to do GUI client applications, and don't need to use existing
commercial components or Borland database layers (dbexpress), Lazarus might be a route,
if you can live with beta software.
If the boxes you are deploying to are more or less under your control and you wish
to do GUI applications, you could also go the .NET route, using Mono for Linux and
Winforms on the Delphi side (not vcl.net). As most distros don't yet install a recent
stable version of Mono including Winforms support, without having control of the linux
boxes this will be a deployment nightmare.
Using FreePascal directly is a possible route if you want to do non-gui console
applications.
I guess to give you a decent advice we'd need more info on what kind of applications
you are after.
Simon

{smallsort}

Re:Cross Platform Development

CrossFPC.
When can we expect a first alpha version?

Re:Cross Platform Development

>CrossFPC.

When can we expect a first alpha version?
Well, a first alpha version exists since May, but it's only made available
to the CrossFPC team.
Currently the biggest show-stopper issues are missing Linux resource support and
a few issues in the variants support. This is needed to support visual CLX
and DBExpress. As soon as these parts are finished, CrossFPC should be
usuable for first projects.
Sadly I've been very busy with commercial projects during the last 2 month,
and there hasn't been much progress on the CrossFPC front. I'm planning to
back to it real soon now.
Probably a first usuable public version if the project will become available in
August or September, but don't nail me on it.
Simon

Re:Cross Platform Development

There are several routes:

- CrossKylix (this will only be a permanent solution if you trust Borland
to sooner or later pick up Kylix again for an update)
- CrossFPC (work in progress, will embed the FPC compiler targetting Linux
into the Delphi IDE, basicly the same as CrossKylix, but with an updated
compiler)
- Lazarus
- FreePascal
- Delphi 2005 + Mono

As I suppose he wants to find an RAD environment to write
"Delphi-language", you can add
- Chrome (They seem to claim claim it works professionally: development
in Windows using Microsoft's IDE "Visual Studio", create .NET
assemblies that run under Microsoft .NET on Windows, Mono on Windows and
Linux, and compact .NET framework on Windows CE.
-Michael

Re:Cross Platform Development

Probably a first usuable public version if the project will become available in
August or September, but don't nail me on it.
sounds good :-)

Simon Kissel wrote:
Sadly I've been very busy with commercial projects during the last 2 month,
Sadly? Congratulations, Simon, you're making money! Something we all
hope to do!
I think it's amazing you work so {*word*156} this project you donate to us as
it is.
-Brion

Re:Cross Platform Development

Either one, I guess. I'm a Delphi programmer pre{*word*109}ly, but if
cross-platform means getting in to C++, I'll head that direction.
C++ has a lot of things to offer so it wouldn't be such a bad thing to get
in to.
Rob
news:42e92626$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Michael Schnell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>There are several routes:
>
>- CrossKylix (this will only be a permanent solution if you trust Borland
>to sooner or later pick up Kylix again for an update)
>- CrossFPC (work in progress, will embed the FPC compiler targetting
>Linux
>into the Delphi IDE, basicly the same as CrossKylix, but with an updated
>compiler)
>- Lazarus - FreePascal
>- Delphi 2005 + Mono

As I suppose he wants to find an RAD environment to write
"Delphi-language", you can add

- Chrome (They seem to claim claim it works professionally: development in
Windows using Microsoft's IDE "Visual Studio", create .NET assemblies
that run under Microsoft .NET on Windows, Mono on Windows and Linux, and
compact .NET framework on Windows CE.
Thanks to both of you for the pointers.

"Simon Kissel" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I guess to give you a decent advice we'd need more info on what kind of
applications
you are after.
A variety actually. Servers, GUI clients, DB-aware, controls systems, etc,
etc.
Where does FreeCLX fit in to all this?
Rob

Re:Cross Platform Development

"Robby Tanner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Either one, I guess. I'm a Delphi programmer pre{*word*109}ly, but if
cross-platform means getting in to C++, I'll head that direction.

C++ has a lot of things to offer so it wouldn't be such a bad thing to
get in to.
I'm trying to build a cross-platform library, that will incorporate a GUI
system similar to the VCL. It will be cross-compiler, and I'm hoping that
I'll be able to get it to work in Pascal. It is basically a C++ shared
library, and so I hope that I'll just have to write a Pascal header for it
to be C++ / Pascal.
The GUI system will be completely library-drawn, so apps on Windows and
Linux, written using this library will look and act the same.
Hopefully I will be able to complete this.
Jonathan

Re:Cross Platform Development

"Robby Tanner" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
Either one, I guess. I'm a Delphi programmer pre{*word*109}ly, but if
cross-platform means getting in to C++, I'll head that direction.

C++ has a lot of things to offer so it wouldn't be such a bad thing to get
in to.
I recommend C++ for cross-platform development. I'm switched on the C++
after Kylix failure. C++/STL/BOOST for console program development. Add here
Qt for GUI, and OCL for Oracle connectivity.

Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
I'm hoping
that I'll be able to get it to work in Pascal. It is basically a C++
shared library, and so I hope that I'll just have to write a Pascal
header for it to be C++ / Pascal.
I will not shorten your hope but you cannot simply import a C++ class into
a Pascal program. For this you must flatten the C++ class (C++ wrapper).
And that is a lot of work as you can see how long it has taken until I
could make the first release of Qt3 for Kylix. And the worst thing is that
this technique doesn't work for Qt4 anymore. So I'm currently writing a
new conversion tool. (this time in Delphi not C#).
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Cross Platform Development

Hello, why this technique doesn't works for Qt4? Can you share more details?
Dmitry