What Danny said...

2004-06-04 06:28:42 AM
kylix0
Bob Goddard < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
He did not say "three year plan", he said "three year outlook".
Regardless of what he "really" meant, Danny is just one developer.
He might be a senior developer with a voice in management circles but he is
still just one developer.
In a year he might be working with Microsoft or Oracle if the
money and opportunity is right.
We have all seen how much loyalty the current Borland staff have to Borland.
If you plan to commit your business or life to Kylix based on what Danny,
you have large silicaceous objects in the cranium.

Re:What Danny said...

Regardless of what he "really" meant, Danny is just one developer.
He might be a senior developer with a voice in management circles but he is
still just one developer.

Anders Hejlsberg is just one developer as well.
We have all seen how much loyalty the current Borland staff have to Borland.

You're stepping on your tongue here. Current means that they're still here.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/

Re:What Danny said...

If you plan to commit your business or life to Kylix based on what Danny,
you have large silicaceous objects in the cranium.
Actually I've more trust in Danny than in the whole Borland management and
marketing.
Yes, I'd commit my business on Dannys words.
Simon

{smallsort}

Re:What Danny said...

Danny is our Delphi messiah!
"I R T" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Bob Goddard < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>He did not say "three year plan", he said "three year outlook".

Regardless of what he "really" meant, Danny is just one developer.
He might be a senior developer with a voice in management circles but he
is
still just one developer.

In a year he might be working with Microsoft or Oracle if the
money and opportunity is right.

We have all seen how much loyalty the current Borland staff have to
Borland.

If you plan to commit your business or life to Kylix based on what Danny,
you have large silicaceous objects in the cranium.

Re:What Danny said...

Anders Hejlsberg is just one developer as well.

And he help to make .NET be as it is and thus made Delphi 8 possible and
Delphi language projects be better portable to the .NET world than any
other.
-Michael

Re:What Danny said...

"Anders Ohlsson (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>We have all seen how much loyalty the current Borland staff have to Borland.

You're stepping on your tongue here. Current means that they're still here.
For the moment..

Re:What Danny said...

make .NET be as it is and thus made Delphi 8 possible
These two aren't necessarily Good Things (tm).

Re:What Danny said...

zedd schrieb:

>make .NET be as it is and thus made Delphi 8 possible

These two aren't necessarily Good Things (tm).

I can't affirm nor deny that. But obviously Borland saw .BET as a good
thing.
-Michael

Re:What Danny said...

Why don't you open source Delphi/Kylix? You can use a combination of the
MySQL and Red Hat business models. I'm talking about selling "Enterprise"
versions and support services. Delphi/Kylix have serious quality control
issues not to mention stagnated development. I've been following Borland
since around D4. Things haven't really gotten any better.
With open source, bugs are found, fixes are incorporated into the code base
and evolution occurs. We aren't seeing any evolution of Delphi/Kylix.
Stuff goes into CodeCentral just sits there and rots away unnoticed. Eager
Borland customers who donated their time to find and fix the bugs get
frustrated and go somewhere else. Take the "7.1" service pack you guys just
released. How many years did that take? From what I've seen on these
newsgroups, the service pack created more problems then solved. Imagine
where we would be right now if D7 was open source.

Re:What Danny said...

Imagine where we would be right now if D7 was open source.

We'd all be using Visual Studio.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/

Re:What Danny said...

Freepascal/Lazarus bugs get fixed within some days :-)

Max wrote:
Freepascal/Lazarus bugs get fixed within some days :-)
That's true, but Lazarus has more bugs than Kylix's VisualCLX. And when I
have tested Lazarus last time (must be half a month ago) it was not as
stable as Kylix. And this sentence says a lot (but keep in mind that it
was half a month ago).
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:What Danny said...

Andreas Hausladen schrieb:
..it was not as stable as Kylix.
That's quite contrary to my experience.
I've had far less problems with Lazarus
than Kylix.
Which Version did you have tested ?
Martin

Re:What Danny said...

Jeff Undercash wrote:
With open source, bugs are found, fixes are incorporated into the
code base and evolution occurs.
LOL. That must be why I'm using Internet Professional 5.0 for my
newsreader, along with Orpheus 5, and have Orpheus.NET installed in D8.

Re:What Danny said...

Max wrote:
Freepascal/Lazarus bugs get fixed within some days :-)
LOL. When is that ever going to be a solid release?