Re: wxwindows is dead...

2004-02-24 03:46:58 AM
kylix2
Brion L. Webster wrote:
Iman L Crawford wrote:

>Only in certain countries. MS lost the trial in the US when
>trying to defend the use of windows as a trademark.

Actually, I believe the trial is just delayed a little bit while MS
appeals that particular bit to a higher court.

-Brion
i hope that ms will lost again lindows in canada
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
Actually, I believe the trial is just delayed a little bit while MS
appeals that particular bit to a higher court.
correct. Here's a small summary for anyone interested.
www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1525079,00.asp
--
Iman

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

"Marc Collin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Peter Agricola wrote:
i know, the truth shocks
What, did they cancel your nap time in school today?

{smallsort}

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

news:403a55d6$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Peter Agricola wrote:

>i know, the truth shocks

What, did they cancel your nap time in school today?

no school today, only a homework to do...
need to write a text (1000 word) about the stupidy of the americain...
1000 word is to easy
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

Marc Collin < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
need to write a text (1000 word) about the stupidy of the americain...

1000 word is to easy
If it is an english class, you should file a complaint against your
previous teachers.
--
Iman

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

Marc Collin < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
stupid americain
Please stop this. Now.
I canceled your other post.

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
Marc Collin < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>stupid americain

Please stop this. Now.

I canceled your other post.
ya sir
O americano ?pardais, aquele não pensa
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

Marc Collin wrote:
ms have still win...

Changing a name does make a product DOA..
Yes, the European courts decision on Lindows, made wxWindows group change
their name (which I think is rather STUPID, so can I no longer install
windows in my home, so what do I call them now, Glassports or External
Viewing devices?)
Common words should not be able to be patented or trademarked. What's next.
a company owning the words hello and good bye?

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

news:403a29c4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>soon will pay for write and said windows...

If Microsoft produced "msLinux", you wouldn't be outraged?
Would I care, would be a more appropriate response.
Of course it would be valid for MS to do this, if they wished, but then they
would have to follow GPL, which would be TOTALLY AGAINST THE PROPRIETARY
AND PREDITARY NATURE of MS. :)
the word Windows does not refer only to MS Windows. What do you have in your
home, car, etc, MS Windows or glass panes in some type of frame?
The word Windows has existed for centuries and has nothing to do with MS. It
also existed in the computer software world long before MS Windows was in
existence.
I can understand somewhat, about Lindows as a word play on Windows
(especially in a society that is deemed not to possess even a moronic
capacity for intellectual thought by the elitist), but I cannot, for the
life of me, understand how anything related to the word WINDOWS, is owned.
patented, copyrighted, etc. by Microsoft. That is absolutely absurd.
I guess if someone had deep enough pockets to pay the "professional twisters
of common sense word meanings, and basic etymology", then MS could be
forced to rename MS Windows, since the word Windows was commonly in use,
before MS Windows ever existed; both in common usage and in the software
industry.

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

pnichols wrote:
Marc Collin wrote:

>ms have still win...

Changing a name does make a product DOA..

Yes, the European courts decision on Lindows, made wxWindows group change
their name (which I think is rather STUPID, so can I no longer install
windows in my home, so what do I call them now, Glassports or External
Viewing devices?)

Common words should not be able to be patented or trademarked.
+10000
What's next.
a company owning the words hello and good bye?

maybe :)
--
Borland rulez pages.infinit.net/borland

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

Marc Collin wrote:
wxwindows change it name for wxWidgets
So from now on we're all wxWidowers and wxWidows, right?
--
Ruurd

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

Peter Agricola wrote:
[...]
You can use the word windows as you like, except as a trade-name for
software or other things wich might be confusing with MS Windows.
Or do you think wxWindows has to change the classname wxWindow, derived from
wxEvtHandler and ancestor of a lot of other classes, too?
This reminds me of when Warner Bros. asked the Marx Brothers to change
the name of their "A night in Casablanca" movie. To this Groucho replied
that they had been "Brothers" for a longer time than Warner so WB should
change their name first.
Cheers,
--
Nicola Musatti
Team Thai Kingdom

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

"Nicola Musatti" wrote:
This reminds me of when Warner Bros. asked the Marx Brothers to change
the name of their "A night in Casablanca" movie. To this Groucho replied
that they had been "Brothers" for a longer time than Warner so WB should
change their name first.
LOL!
Peter

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

"pnichols" wrote:
so can I no longer install
windows in my home,
Of course you can.
so what do I call them now, Glassports or External
Viewing devices?)
Just windows like everybody else.
Saying MS has rights on the word 'windows' is FUD. It has the right on the
trade name Windows for software products. That's all. Although commercial a
clever choice I agree that this name is on the verge of legallity, that's
why it is brought to court. But isn't everything MS does on the verge?
Peter

Re:Re: wxwindows is dead...

Peter Agricola wrote:
Saying MS has rights on the word 'windows' is FUD. It has the right on the
trade name Windows for software products. That's all. Although commercial a
clever choice I agree that this name is on the verge of legallity, that's
why it is brought to court. But isn't everything MS does on the verge?
BUT the US court has already said that it CAN'T trademark
'Windows' and in the latest 'Lindows' case the Judge has
ruled that the previous situation can not now be changed
simply by throwing more money at it.
So when MS loses their appeal to have US case law rewritten
can we just go back to using wxwindows :)
Probably not of cause because they have already lost the
monopoly case and now just decide their own punishment in that!
--
Lester Caine