Re: will there be Kylix4?

2005-02-05 12:47:05 AM
kylix2
Eugen Neuber wrote:
Is Kylix still for sale in UK?
shop.borland.co.uk/kylix.asp
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
Ivan Cruz wrote:

>1. Borland abandoned their most promising open source
>project: Interbase 6.

That's plain false. Borland continue to produce and support
InterBase
Not "open source" Interbase. AFAIK, after one minor security
update, Borland hasn't done anything to produce or support open
source Interbase. I was there in the US for the Borcon, I still
have the phoenix t-shirt promoting the release of Interbase as open
source, and I still bear the scars from it being yanked back.
>We have seen Borland give many steps away from GNU/Linux
>and FOSS. Can someone outline a single step by Borland in
>the Linux/FOSS direction in the last two years? Just one,
>please???

FreeCLX?
Which is being held up by Michael Swindell not having enough time
to clear a roadlbock. For how many months now? If the Delphi 2005
launch was the issue, what's now holding him back? Where's the
information "as soon as possible" since October?
groups-beta.google.com/group/borland.public.kylix.non-technic
al/browse_thread/thread/2b4bdd17faf26160/42b5f1d8521ff79f?q=group:bo
rland.public.kylix.*+author:swindell&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fas_q%3D%26num
%3D10%26scoring%3Dr%26hl%3Den%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_epq%3D%26as_oq%3D%26
as_eq%3D%26as_ugroup%3Dborland.public.kylix.*%26as_usubject%3D%26as_
uauthors%3Dswindell%26lr%3D%26as_qdr%3D%26as_drrb%3Db%26as_mind%3D1%
26as_minm%3D9%26as_miny%3D2004%26as_maxd%3D4%26as_maxm%3D2%26as_maxy
%3D2005%26safe%3Doff%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#42b5f1d8521ff79
or tinyurl.com/5zvfg
-Brion

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
Eugen Neuber wrote:

>I talked today to a distributor in Austria (also active selling
>Borland's products in Germany). He (I know his name) told me, that
>Kylix isn't sold anymore by them because Borland discontinued Kylix!

You might like to forward his name on to someone like John Kaster,
because there has been no official word on whether Kylix has been
discontinued or not.
I will send an email to John Kaster on this subject this weekend.
Upgrading to a Windows development tool is hardly developing on Linux
now, is it?
No. It isn't. And I am ashamed. But I remember there was some offer to buy
Kylix at a special price if own Delphi & or 7 so I thought Borland has
still anything like that...
Thank you very much for your response.
Eugen

{smallsort}

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Brion L. Webster wrote:
>>1. Borland abandoned their most promising open source
>>project: Interbase 6.
>
>That's plain false. Borland continue to produce and support
>InterBase

Not "open source" Interbase. AFAIK, after one minor security
update, Borland hasn't done anything to produce or support open
source Interbase.
Mainly because they never said they would.
--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
Brion L. Webster wrote:

>>>1. Borland abandoned their most promising open source
>>>project: Interbase 6.
>>
>>That's plain false. Borland continue to produce and support
>>InterBase
>
>Not "open source" Interbase. AFAIK, after one minor security
>update, Borland hasn't done anything to produce or support open
>source Interbase.

Mainly because they never said they would.
They only open sourced Interbase because they did NOT intend to support
it. WHEN they finally realised that was a major mistake they reinstated
Interbase as a product, but fortunately for those of us who were reliant
on Interbase for production systems, the cat was out of the bag, and
Firebird gives us much better control of the product.
Unless Kylix goes the same way, I see little point in trying to
'support' it. Borland have let it fall too far behind for them to be
able to afford to bring it up to date.
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Could anybody tell me?
No, nobody can tell you. Borland has made clear statements that the future of Kylix
is undecided. They might pick it up again, like they did with C++Builder (which also
looked pretty dead already), or maybe they won't.
Simon

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

I'm confused. They (Borland Germany) seemed to know what they say at the
Borland-Roadshow in Vienna on 1st Feb... But maybe it's only marketing what
they show up at the stage.
Borland Germany knows nothing. They never did.
Borland Germany is still selling Kylix. It's available from their webshop directly
(shop.borland.de) and also available through their reseller channels.
Simon

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Dave Nottage [TeamB] wrote:
Brion L. Webster wrote:

>>>1. Borland abandoned their most promising open source
>>>project: Interbase 6.
>>
>>That's plain false. Borland continue to produce and support
>>InterBase
>
>Not "open source" Interbase. AFAIK, after one minor security
>update, Borland hasn't done anything to produce or support open
>source Interbase.

Mainly because they never said they would.
No, they said they'd hand it over to a public steering committee.
Kind of like Free CLX. I see they supported FreeCLX, why there's
even an update there to download!
sourceforge.net/projects/freeclx/
I really need to get over the Interbase issue. My point was - Ivan
spoke of open source Interbase, you replied with regular Interbase.
Two different things.
-Brion

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Brion L. Webster wrote:
No, they said they'd hand it over to a public steering committee.
Kind of like Free CLX. I see they supported FreeCLX, why there's
even an update there to download!

sourceforge.net/projects/freeclx/

I really need to get over the Interbase issue. My point was - Ivan
spoke of open source Interbase, you replied with regular Interbase.
Two different things.
My recollection of things - having just released an Interbase 5 based
product and purchased a pack of licences at that time - was that
Interbase was killed off. The move to open source it only came after
much pressure from those of us with many years invested in the product.
That same pressure also resulted in Borland rethinking, and reinstating
Interbase as a product. *SO* they are the same thing, but those of us
who are now making more money because we don't have to pay for licences
are a lot happier and don't have to keep looking over our shoulders for
the next end of life ;)
Kylix is, as Builder was, stuck in limbo awaiting Borlands whims ...
--
Lester Caine
-----------------------------
L.S.Caine Electronic Services

Re:Re: will there be Kylix4?

Hi Simon,
Simon Kissel wrote:
>I'm confused. They (Borland Germany) seemed to know what they say at the
>Borland-Roadshow in Vienna on 1st Feb... But maybe it's only marketing
>what they show up at the stage.

Borland Germany knows nothing. They never did.
I seems so.
It is very sad that we can't buy in US -- think of the 'Discount Coupons',
if I remember correctly they were 30% of list price...
Borland Germany is still selling Kylix. It's available from their webshop
directly (shop.borland.de) and also available through their reseller
channels.
Yes, I also found Kylix 3 at the very shop.borland.de. It's a shame that the
speaker of the roadshow (you can see his picture on
www.borland-roadshow.de) has no public email address mentioned at
www.borland.de, because I'd like to send him a notice ;-)
Simon
Eugen