Re: ANN: Universal Object Pascal Library (UOPL)

2004-11-13 06:40:36 PM
kylix1
On 2004-11-12, Thomas Miller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
The last two articles I read (one from MS and one from AMD)
were both singing the same story. Win64 XP was to ship by
the end of this year. SP2 was more complicated then
expected so they had delay Win64 XP for 6 months. All the
SP2 work migrates directly to Win64 XP. So preliminary work
on a compiler would be appropriate.
Ah. What is "preliminary" work in this case?
Anyway, we welcome anyone that would clean up the windows unit a bit (which
will be one of the hard nuts, since it is auto-translated). That one could
also look into win64 cleanness of that unit.
Since FPC is 64-bit clean for the rest, I think that that is the only that
could be done before. However we have been trying to get a volunteer for
that (cleaning up the windows unit for win32, improving compability) for
some time now without success. Incidental problems are reported (and fixed)
all the time, but no maintainer has stepped up.

Re:Re: ANN: Universal Object Pascal Library (UOPL)

Dennis Landi wrote:
download the preview here:

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx
can't be used with non US keyboards.
Martin

"Marco van de Voort" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Anyway, we welcome anyone that would clean up the windows unit a bit
(which
will be one of the hard nuts, since it is auto-translated). That one could
also look into win64 cleanness of that unit.

Since FPC is 64-bit clean for the rest, I think that that is the only that
could be done before. However we have been trying to get a volunteer for
that (cleaning up the windows unit for win32, improving compability) for
some time now without success. Incidental problems are reported (and
fixed)
all the time, but no maintainer has stepped up.

Marco,
What exactly is the filename of the windows unit you are referring to?
-d

{smallsort}

On 2004-11-12, Thomas Miller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>The last two articles I read (one from MS and one from AMD)
>were both singing the same story. Win64 XP was to ship by
>the end of this year. SP2 was more complicated then
>expected so they had delay Win64 XP for 6 months. All the
>SP2 work migrates directly to Win64 XP. So preliminary work
>on a compiler would be appropriate.

Ah. What is "preliminary" work in this case?
Getting hello world to compile in win64. Introducing one
little sub-routine that uses a pointer. You really can't
polish the compiler until Win 64 XP is released, but you
don't have to start from scratch either.

Anyway, we welcome anyone that would clean up the windows unit a bit (which
will be one of the hard nuts, since it is auto-translated). That one could
also look into win64 cleanness of that unit.
I am sure our project will get in and work on this. We will
share.

Since FPC is 64-bit clean for the rest, I think that that is the only that
could be done before. However we have been trying to get a volunteer for
that (cleaning up the windows unit for win32, improving compability) for
some time now without success. Incidental problems are reported (and fixed)
all the time, but no maintainer has stepped up.

Unfortunately, this isn't my forte, database stuff is, but
we will definitely try to get one of our members to work on it.
--
Thomas Miller
Wash DC Delphi SIG Chairperson

On 2004-11-13, Thomas Miller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Introducing one little sub-routine that uses a pointer.
And then? That already involves the whole RTL in startup, binary execute
formats etc.
Of course preliminary work can be done, but in general FPC targets are
maintained/initiated by interested users. Since there is no Win64, there are
none.
You really can't polish the compiler until Win 64 XP is released, but you
don't have to start from scratch either.
True. win64 windows unit cleaning could be done, trying to get some data about
formats, startup code etc, also. However there is no hurry.
>Anyway, we welcome anyone that would clean up the windows unit a bit (which
>will be one of the hard nuts, since it is auto-translated). That one could
>also look into win64 cleanness of that unit.

I am sure our project will get in and work on this. We will
share.
That would be nice. I think the best way would be to start working on an header
conversion tool, and then hack recognition for win64 specific tasks in it.
Unless win64 is pretty much the same in api as win32.
>Since FPC is 64-bit clean for the rest, I think that that is the only that
>could be done before. However we have been trying to get a volunteer for
>that (cleaning up the windows unit for win32, improving compability) for
>some time now without success. Incidental problems are reported (and fixed)
>all the time, but no maintainer has stepped up.
Unfortunately, this isn't my forte, database stuff is,
We also miss some people that really want to get into TDataSet etc, and
make derivations for several dbs :-) (some work is already done)

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Anyway, we welcome anyone that would clean up the windows unit a bit
(which
>will be one of the hard nuts, since it is auto-translated). That one could
>also look into win64 cleanness of that unit.
>
>Since FPC is 64-bit clean for the rest, I think that that is the only that
>could be done before. However we have been trying to get a volunteer for
>that (cleaning up the windows unit for win32, improving compability) for
>some time now without success. Incidental problems are reported (and
fixed)
>all the time, but no maintainer has stepped up.
What exactly is the filename of the windows unit you are referring to?
Mostly fpc/rtl/win32/windows.pp, though that file includes a lot of includefiles
in fpc/rtl/win32/wininc
This API port is totally Microsoft free btw, since everything was either
gotten from public (web) resources, or the original mingw headers.
It's not under Platform SDK EULA.

On 2004-11-13, Thomas Miller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>Unfortunately, this isn't my forte, database stuff is,

We also miss some people that really want to get into TDataSet etc, and
make derivations for several dbs :-) (some work is already done)

Look for a dbExpress Plus on steroids from this project.

On 2004-11-14, Thomas Miller < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>We also miss some people that really want to get into TDataSet etc, and
>make derivations for several dbs :-) (some work is already done)

Look for a dbExpress Plus on steroids from this project.
dbexpress plus is under cpl. I don't the license very well, but according to
this page (point 12) is it seems to be incompatible with other licenses.
www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-cplfaq.html
(however BSD license or LGPL license don't require that the entire program
will need to be relicensed under BSD/LGPL).
GNU says it is incompatible with GPL (which isn't that bad), but doesn't
mention compability with other licenses.
Can sb shed some light on this?

Re:Re: ANN: Universal Object Pascal Library (UOPL)

I am the owner of the code and hold the copyright, so I will
release the next version under both CPL and LGPL. This
should solve the problem.