Runtime configurations help ...

2004-11-15 02:11:16 PM
jbuilder22
I'm would like to put together an OpenTool that 1) adds an argument to every
runtime configurations vm paramters based on 2) an runtime configuration
"enable opentool" option to all of the unique runtime configuration screens.
The documentation on the runtime configuration API is rather poor. Can
someone please point me in the right direction? Docs? Samples?
Thanks!
-rjm

Re:Runtime configurations help ...

Renato J. Mascardo wrote:
I'm would like to put together an OpenTool that 1) adds an argument to every
runtime configurations vm paramters based on 2) an runtime configuration
"enable opentool" option to all of the unique runtime configuration screens.
The documentation on the runtime configuration API is rather poor. Can
someone please point me in the right direction? Docs? Samples?
Take a look at Keith Wood's OpenTools Runner
OpenTool which is available at CodeCentral:
cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/files
I think that will get you started.
--
Paul Furbacher (TeamB)
Save time, search the archives:

Re:Runtime configurations help ...

Thank you for that lin, however I'm not looking to create a new Runner
rather get a list of a projects runtime configurations. How can I do that?
Thanks!
-rjm
"Paul Furbacher [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Renato J. Mascardo wrote:

>I'm would like to put together an OpenTool that 1) adds an argument to
every
>runtime configurations vm paramters based on 2) an runtime configuration
>"enable opentool" option to all of the unique runtime configuration
screens.
>The documentation on the runtime configuration API is rather poor. Can
>someone please point me in the right direction? Docs? Samples?

Take a look at Keith Wood's OpenTools Runner
OpenTool which is available at CodeCentral:

cc.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/files

I think that will get you started.

--

Paul Furbacher (TeamB)

Save time, search the archives:

Is it in Joi Ellis's Faq-O-Matic?

Thank you.

{smallsort}

Renato J. Mascardo wrote:
Thank you for that lin, however I'm not looking to create a new Runner
rather get a list of a projects runtime configurations.
I wasn't suggesting that you were. Rather,
I was hoping you'd take some hints from it,
and do research based on the classes found there.
How can I do that?
Much of OpenTool development is based on
using the "Find Class" dialog, crafting
intelligent searches.
It also includes or requires scanning the
verbose output in the console window --
what classes does JBuilder itself load,
and when? They aren't just loaded at
startup, so if you want to research certain
functionality, you may have to activate
it by pulling down a menu, or opening a
dialog box.
In the Find Class dialog, try *runtime* as
the search pattern.
In particular, look at
RuntimeManager
RunPropertyGroup.getConfigurations()
RunConfiguration.getMap()
Write a small investigatory OpenTool (i.e.,
not a full-blown OpenTool -- I have one
called "ot_api_investigations" in which I indeed
do have an investigation of Runtime configs, among
many other concepts). Run your open tool investigator,
and open a project, preferably one which has at least
one runtime configuration. Get the configurations for
the current project, iterate through them, and print
out their maps.
I think you'll see what you are looking for ...
or you might not.
First, where do the keys come from? Keith's
OpenTool points the way. He implements a
static member variable, VM_PARAMS. Looking
at other descendents of JavaRunner (e.g.,
ApplicationRunner), you see something similar.
Stick a few output statements in your investigator
code which print out the map properties VM_PARAMETERS
and PARAMETERS.
Second, properties are only saved if they
are different from the default. So, unless
the runtime config you are looking at has
modified the VM params, or the JBuilder
params, you won't see a property in the listings.
Where are these properties saved? With a
text editor, look in any project's .jpx
file. (You have to do this outside JBuilder.)