compiling JNI C code in JB9

2004-01-09 05:34:44 AM
jbuilder16
Hey Guys,
Quick question. I have some C code that I will be calling through JNI. I
cant't seem to figure out how to set a C compiler for JB9 to invoke to
compile it.
Where should I be looking?
Thanks
Jeff Kesselman
Games Technology Group
Sun Microsystems

Re:compiling JNI C code in JB9

Jeff Kesselman wrote:
Hey Guys,

Quick question. I have some C code that I will be calling through JNI. I
cant't seem to figure out how to set a C compiler for JB9 to invoke to
compile it.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks

Jeff Kesselman
Games Technology Group
Sun Microsystems

I recently did up a bunch of the JNI examples, using JB9 and
C++BuilderX. It was easier to use a real C/C++ tool than to try to
hack it in to JBuilder.
You can download the "Personal" edition of C+BuilderX for free. Don't
know how the licensing would apply to you...
I also set up an ANT file that can compile and build everything (and it
runs on Windows, Solaris, and Linux). If you are interested, reply
here, and I can zip up my project(s) and post them to the attachments
group for you.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Re:compiling JNI C code in JB9

Thanks Lori.
In the past I've used ANT for just such projects but as this is internal
development I have the luxury in this case of using the IDE. I was hoping
it was at least as functional as ANT :/

Jeff Kesselman wrote:
Thanks Lori.

In the past I've used ANT for just such projects but as this is internal
development I have the luxury in this case of using the IDE. I was hoping
it was at least as functional as ANT :/

Well, to tell you the truth, my C/C++ was so rusty that I *needed* to
use the C++BuilderX IDE just to get the stuff to compile and link properly.
After I got everything working in there, I created the ANT file by
duplicating the settings from C++BuilderX in ANT tasks. C++BuilderX
echoes the command-line for you, so you can see what it's doing.
I only created the ANT file because I needed to demonstrate this to some
Microsoft Visual Studio C++ developers, and I didn't think they'd
appreciate having to install 2 new IDE's just to run some examples. ANT
is a pretty easy install on every platform.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)
question.
Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:compiling JNI C code in JB9

Isn't this what external build tasks are for?
Mike
Jeff Kesselman wrote:
>Thanks Lori.
>
>In the past I've used ANT for just such projects but as this is internal
>development I have the luxury in this case of using the IDE. I was
hoping
>it was at least as functional as ANT :/

Well, to tell you the truth, my C/C++ was so rusty that I *needed* to
use the C++BuilderX IDE just to get the stuff to compile and link
properly.

After I got everything working in there, I created the ANT file by
duplicating the settings from C++BuilderX in ANT tasks. C++BuilderX
echoes the command-line for you, so you can see what it's doing.

I only created the ANT file because I needed to demonstrate this to some
Microsoft Visual Studio C++ developers, and I didn't think they'd
appreciate having to install 2 new IDE's just to run some examples. ANT
is a pretty easy install on every platform.

--

Regards,

Lori Olson (TeamB)

------------

question.

Google Advanced Newsgroup Search
www.google.ca/advanced_group_search
Other Newsgroup Searches:
Joi Ellis's FAQ-O-Matic:

Re:compiling JNI C code in JB9

Well I Dl'd C++ builder personal and started playing with it. Its very
nice.
But it it ALSO seems to be built on the same Java IDE foundation as
JBuilder, so I'm kind of suprised/disappointed they don't integrate together
:(
This is one trick S1Studio has over JB I guess.

Jeff Kesselman wrote:
Well I Dl'd C++ builder personal and started playing with it. Its very
nice.

But it it ALSO seems to be built on the same Java IDE foundation as
JBuilder, so I'm kind of suprised/disappointed they don't integrate together
:(

This is one trick S1Studio has over JB I guess.

You are expecting a lot from a "free" tool! I believe the C++ Builder
Architect version has integrated support for Together. But it certainly
won't be free.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson (TeamB)

Jeff Kesselman wrote:
>But it it ALSO seems to be built on the same Java IDE foundation as
>JBuilder, so I'm kind of suprised/disappointed they don't integrate
together

You are expecting a lot from a "free" tool! I believe the C++ Builder
Architect version has integrated support for Together. But it
certainly
won't be free.
I think he meant together with a lowercase T, as in integrating JBuilder
and C++BuilderX together into a single IDE, similar to what Eclipse is
working toward. I suspect that's the long term goal, and it just hasn't
happened yet in this release.
The same thing happened with integration of Together with a capital T.
In the first few releases it ran as a separate application with a
separate Java VM, and there was a little bit of communication back and
forth between JBuilder and Together. Now, with JBuilder X, there is
true, seamless integration.
Good things come to those who wait. :-)
--
Gillmer J. Derge (TeamB)

Re:compiling JNI C code in JB9

How much longer do I have to wait to get it for free :=)