Re: Delay on popup the IDE 8/9

2003-07-30 04:47:10 PM
jbuilder15
Some additional info:
The delay increases with the running time of JBuilder.
At the beginning it needs 1 second to show the IDE.
After a while it's going up to 7 seconds.
I have P4, 1G RAM, W2K SP3.
JB8 and JB9 are the only applications who have this behaviour.
Regards
"moisdn" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hello,

everytime I try to access the previous started JBuilder IDE, (e.g. from
Taskbar) there is a 7 sec. delay before the IDE is shown.
If the IDE is partly covered by another App and I click on the Titlebar of
the IDE it is the same.
I see a white frame and after approx. 7 sec. I have access to the IDE.
This does not occur with JB7, but with JB8 and JB9.

Has anyone or everyone this effect to?
Is there a way to fix this?

Regards

Re:Re: Delay on popup the IDE 8/9

I won't say whether the original problem is related to Windows swapping out. However, your statement that it is non-negotiable is not quite true. Go get a copy of Cacheman (it's free). It has settings that change the behavior of 2000 and XP to be much less aggressive on code swapouts. My machine is much more responsive with the adjustments. For whatever reason, Microsoft seems to think that (with 512MB of RAM), you should have 250MB of memory dedicated to disk cache, forcing 150MB of executable code to the paging file. Go figure.
On a different note, JB9 is definitely more of a pig than JB8 was. Borland wasn't kidding when they made 512MB the min RAM requirement. Unfortunately, my laptop maxes out at 512MB is now becoming memory limited once I open the various apps I need for development.
Matt
Rich Wilkman < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Win2K started a trend (Win XP took it further) with the memory
management. If the OS notices that you've taken your eyes off an
application for more than half a second or so (or minimized it or left
it out of focus) it will start to swap that application to virtual
memory (disk) so that the real memory (10^6 faster than disk) can be
used by active applications. It doesn't matter how much RAM is
available, either. Nothing you can do about it (it's non-negotiable
with the OS) and it's even more fun if you've configured a system like a
laptop to sleep the drives after a period of inactivity.

-Rich