is there a gui coming for web page design in JB2005?

2004-09-21 11:43:47 PM
jbuilder7
I was playing with VisualStudio 2003 last night (ok, keep the flames down
:>) and I have a question for the Borland people.
J2EE and .net both have custom tags/controls, however in VS2k3, they also
have the ability to drag'n'drop their controls onto a GUI design pane for
the webpage. I found I could create a working webpage incredibly fast last
night, just after installing the product without much c# knowledge. I'm
wondering if JB2005 is going to include something like this?
Thanks.

Re:is there a gui coming for web page design in JB2005?

Flip wrote:
J2EE and .net both have custom tags/controls, however in VS2k3, they
also have the ability to drag'n'drop their controls onto a GUI design
pane for the webpage. I found I could create a working webpage
incredibly fast last night, just after installing the product without
much c# knowledge. I'm wondering if JB2005 is going to include
something like this?
That was one of the selling points of JSF, but I have not seen JB2005
to see how JSF has been implemented
--
Phil

Flip wrote:
I was playing with VisualStudio 2003 last night (ok, keep the flames down
:>) and I have a question for the Borland people.

J2EE and .net both have custom tags/controls, however in VS2k3, they also
have the ability to drag'n'drop their controls onto a GUI design pane for
the webpage. I found I could create a working webpage incredibly fast last
night, just after installing the product without much c# knowledge. I'm
wondering if JB2005 is going to include something like this?

Thanks.

The short answer is no. The only product that does that at this time
for JSF is Sun's Java Studio Creator.
wwws.sun.com/software/products/jscreator/
The longer answer we got at BorCon was that the JSF spec is just too
immature at this point. They figure that within the JSF 2.0 timeframe
there might be enough there to hang a real WYSIWYG designer on, but not
for now.
On the bright side, the JSF flow designer is quite impressive. And
there is a form of "drag and drop" component palette for use in the
source editor, which is a little weird at the start (MHO), but quite
helpful once you get used to how it works. Also, the Tag Insight and
Error Insight for JSF tags and components help speed things up, too.
--
Regards,
Lori Olson [TeamB]

Re:is there a gui coming for web page design in JB2005?

The short answer is no. The only product that does that at this time
for JSF is Sun's Java Studio Creator.
Thanks for the heads up! :>I do hope this functionality makes it's way
into the product soon.