BCB and Sheridan

I'm new to BCB Pro and must say I was thrilled with the product after
installing.  The interface seemed much more intuitive than VB... I was
ecstatic to finally have a Visual C++ compiler that wasn't
Mickeysoft's.  Joy!  Joy!  Joy!

I tried installing my favorite OCX's and to my surpirse, I can't get
any of the Sheridan controls to install to the palette.  I get errors
like the following:

PASCAL ERROR sslstbar.pas(123): Integer constant too large.
PASCAL FATAL ERROR pasall(4):  Could not compile used units c:\program
files\borland\cbuilder\lib\sslstbar.pas

OR Error trying to load type DLL.

Thus I have spent the last three days sifting through the newsgroups
to find a fix to my problem.  In doing so, I have read more tripe and
flames than I care to read.  It seems to me if Borland is going to put
this newsgroup on the web as a help tool, then they should tell those
put in charge to be courteous and helpful without being condescending
and full of self-importance.  I realize some of these people are
probably kids, but I don't feel they should be allowed to behave in
this forum in such a manner.

Honestly at this point, I'm thoroughly disenchanted.  My OCX's aren't
working which seems to be a common problem, and I see the VCL is
written in Pascal instead of C++ (I'm sure there must be a good reason
for this, but have yet to hear anyone say what it is).  I'm tired, my
head aches, and wonder if my vendor will accept a return of the open
package and what will the company say that I stupidly sold on BCB
before trying it out (went on what I perceived to be Borland's
reputation.)

I've always been a staunch supporter of Borland as having the best
compilers on the market.  Surely this is still the case and I'm merely
having a bad week.

Has anybody tried PowerBuilder and do the Active X components work in
their C++ implementation?  Anybody have any HELPFUL suggestions or
ideas?  Please, I am in a bind here and need some sound, experienced
advice.
Thanks in advance,
Angela

Re:BCB and Sheridan

Fixed the integer problem... don't know why it didn't fix the first
time I tried 4 days ago... obviously I did something wrong.  After a
sound meal and a nap, successfully installing the Sheridan controls to
the palette that worked beautifully in my program, and an extremely
supportive email from a member of this newsgroup I am back to my
initial stage of euphoria... ecstatic to have an easy-to-use C++ RAD
tool.

Thanks, Borland, for providing intuitive, quality development tools at
an affordable price just as you always have over the years.  I
apologize for ever doubting you.

Angela

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 23:10:31 GMT, angel...@texoma.net (angela) wrote:
>I'm new to BCB Pro and must say I was thrilled with the product after
>installing.  The interface seemed much more intuitive than VB... I was
>ecstatic to finally have a Visual C++ compiler that wasn't
>Mickeysoft's.  Joy!  Joy!  Joy!

>I tried installing my favorite OCX's and to my surpirse, I can't get
>any of the Sheridan controls to install to the palette.  I get errors
>like the following:

>PASCAL ERROR sslstbar.pas(123): Integer constant too large.
>PASCAL FATAL ERROR pasall(4):  Could not compile used units c:\program
>files\borland\cbuilder\lib\sslstbar.pas

>OR Error trying to load type DLL.

>Thus I have spent the last three days sifting through the newsgroups
>to find a fix to my problem.  In doing so, I have read more tripe and
>flames than I care to read.  It seems to me if Borland is going to put
>this newsgroup on the web as a help tool, then they should tell those
>put in charge to be courteous and helpful without being condescending
>and full of self-importance.  I realize some of these people are
>probably kids, but I don't feel they should be allowed to behave in
>this forum in such a manner.

>Honestly at this point, I'm thoroughly disenchanted.  My OCX's aren't
>working which seems to be a common problem, and I see the VCL is
>written in Pascal instead of C++ (I'm sure there must be a good reason
>for this, but have yet to hear anyone say what it is).  I'm tired, my
>head aches, and wonder if my vendor will accept a return of the open
>package and what will the company say that I stupidly sold on BCB
>before trying it out (went on what I perceived to be Borland's
>reputation.)

>I've always been a staunch supporter of Borland as having the best
>compilers on the market.  Surely this is still the case and I'm merely
>having a bad week.

>Has anybody tried PowerBuilder and do the Active X components work in
>their C++ implementation?  Anybody have any HELPFUL suggestions or
>ideas?  Please, I am in a bind here and need some sound, experienced
>advice.
>Thanks in advance,
>Angela

Other Threads