Newbie ActiveX Document Question - Please help.

Hello:

I just started converting some old VB-5 applications to ActiveX
Documents for access via our company's Intranet.

I compiled and tested successfully the sample ActiveX Document
application that comes with VB-5 Enterprise Edition. This application
is called ActXDoc, and it generates FirstDoc.vbd.

I copied FirstDoc.vbd into our Intranet and hyper linked to it from a
page. Everything works fine as long as I use the development computer
(i.e. The one where VB-5 is installed.) This is a Windows NT 4.0
machine, by the way.

If I try launching the same page using Internet Explorer 3.02 from
another machine on the network, using Windows 95, I get the message
"Do you wish to open this file, or save it to disk" If I select "open"
the page just flashes momentarily, but the ActiveX never runs. It just
thinks its a file and tries to either download it or run it (which
doesn't work.)

In fact, IE does this with any .exe, or .bin file.

What am I missing? Is there a VB5 .dll or other component that I've
failed to include in the Windows 95 machine. I've been pouring over
the Online Books on ActiveX with little luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John.

Re:Newbie ActiveX Document Question - Please help.

John,

We had the exact same problem happen.  Half of the machines would work and
the other half would pop up the dialog box.  We called Microsoft and they
were NO HELP!

The answer is..... download the updated Setup Wizard.  It fixed the
problems.  (It's in the owner area of the vstudio section).  Again,
Microsoft didn't even suggest this fix.

Pat

Re:Newbie ActiveX Document Question - Please help.

Thanks. I'll do that!!

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:27:25 -0700, "Pat Hayes"

<pehay...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>John,

>We had the exact same problem happen.  Half of the machines would work and
>the other half would pop up the dialog box.  We called Microsoft and they
>were NO HELP!

>The answer is..... download the updated Setup Wizard.  It fixed the
>problems.  (It's in the owner area of the vstudio section).  Again,
>Microsoft didn't even suggest this fix.

>Pat

Other Threads