BCB5 Pro and Std Compatibility

I am about to begin a project using BCB5 Professional. A friend and
coworker on the project would like to "follow along" with my code. He'd
like to spend no more than necessary and buy the Standard edition. Are
there any compatibility problems? Can the Std guy compile the Pro guy's
project, or vice versa?

Is there any way for me to know what Pro objects are _not_ available to
the Std compiler?

Thanks,

Bob

Re:BCB5 Pro and Std Compatibility

Robert Penoyer wrote:

< snip >

> Is there any way for me to know what Pro objects are _not_ available to
> the Std compiler?

Y'might try checking the feature matix. I think you can get there
from:

http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/productinfo/feamatrix/

HTH

Bob ;-)

Re:BCB5 Pro and Std Compatibility

Robert,

Been there. Done that. What I want is some input from someone who's done what
I intend to do so that I can have some sense of finality to my question.

But thanks anyway,

Bob

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:45:02 -0800, Robert Penoyer <rpeno...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Been there. Done that. What I want is some input from someone who's done what
>I intend to do so that I can have some sense of finality to my question.

I can tell you that if you use *any* database components,  the guy with the
Standard Edition will not be able to do anything,  since he won't have the
data aware components,  or even the BDE...

Additionally,  he won't have TASM,  so in-line assembly is out for you.
Also he won't have the VCL source,  so he will have problems if you try to
customize or "fix" any of the VCL components for which you have the source.
I am not positive,  but I also believe that the Standard Edition does not
include the de{*word*81} in the IDE either.

The feature matrix should give you more examples of things you can do that
he can't,  but these come to mind without referring back to the matrix...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam

Re:BCB5 Pro and Std Compatibility

Jerry,

Thanks for an answer from a TeamB member. It is much appreciated. Let me pose a
couple of related questions. (I won't be using any database components, in-line
assembly code or customized VCL--I hope.)

If I use a Pro edition BCB5 to insert components in my program, components that
aren't part of the Std edition, can a user of the Std edition compile the program?
I guess what I'm asking, is the component now part of my code so that any edition
of the BCB5 compiler can compile the program?

When a Builder program is published in, say, "C++Builder Developer's Journal," or
anything similar, does the author have to be careful so that all editions (Std,
Pro, Ent) of BCB can compile it?

I'm asking these specific questions because I don't want my friend to buy the Std
edition at a "bargain" price only to find out he really should have bought the Pro
version so that he could compile the code I create using the Pro version.

Unfortunately, the feature matrix doesn't list specific components in each
edition, just the total numbers of components.

Thanks for your time,

Bob

"Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)" wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:45:02 -0800, Robert Penoyer <rpeno...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:

> >Been there. Done that. What I want is some input from someone who's done what
> >I intend to do so that I can have some sense of finality to my question.

> I can tell you that if you use *any* database components,  the guy with the
> Standard Edition will not be able to do anything,  since he won't have the
> data aware components,  or even the BDE...

> Additionally,  he won't have TASM,  so in-line assembly is out for you.
> Also he won't have the VCL source,  so he will have problems if you try to
> customize or "fix" any of the VCL components for which you have the source.
> I am not positive,  but I also believe that the Standard Edition does not
> include the de{*word*81} in the IDE either.

> The feature matrix should give you more examples of things you can do that
> he can't,  but these come to mind without referring back to the matrix...

> Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
> --
> http://www.teamb.com                                      JersW...@wwa.com
> Please do *NOT* send private e-mail without prior permission (my anti-spam
> filters will probably just delete it anyway <g>)

Re:BCB5 Pro and Std Compatibility

> If I use a Pro edition BCB5 to insert components in my program, components that
> aren't part of the Std edition, can a user of the Std edition compile the program?
> I guess what I'm asking, is the component now part of my code so that any edition
> of the BCB5 compiler can compile the program?

No. If you use a component, then the person who is recompiling your code has to
have that component. It just like a library of code that you are linking against.

> When a Builder program is published in, say, "C++Builder Developer's Journal," or
> anything similar, does the author have to be careful so that all editions (Std,
> Pro, Ent) of BCB can compile it?

Yes. Usually they'll say something like "Only the Enterprise version", if it
uses some of the web stuff that is only there.

> edition at a "bargain" price only to find out he really should have bought the Pro
> version so that he could compile the code I create using the Pro version.

I think pretty much everyone here would urge your friend to spend the extra
$150 and get the Pro version. It has so much more that the Standard version,
from big things like the VCL source to little things like being able to inspect
variables in the de{*word*81}.

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarn...@buddydog.org)      |
|         Comprehensive C++Builder link site:         |
| http://www.buddydog.org/C++Builder/c++builder.html  |

Other Threads