Component Palette Icon problem - more info

This is a temporary solution, any further ideas on this problem?

I have read repeated posts in the past about distorted component palettes.  The
problem does appear to be with Windows NT/95 and not with Builder.  I have an S3
VIRGE (type 375) video card.  There are no updated drivers that I could find
(the latest is May 98).

I found something that worked as a temporary fix.  It fixes icon problems in
Windows in general.  If I perform the last step below (increasing icon size and
decreasing it), while I am in C++Builder, it solves the problem in Builder for
that session.  As soon as I log out of Builder and come back in I have the
problem again.

Here is what I read on the web page from my computer manufacturer (PowerSpec):

<<<<<<<
Problem: Icons in the control panel are displayed incorrectly as black boxes or
the wrong icon.

icon image is displayed for the control.

Cause:  If the icons are only displayed incorrectly in the control panel; such
as the icons only appearing black or the wrong image, the cause may be a damaged
"ShellIconCache" file in the Windows folder. Windows caches the icon images to
improve video performance when redrawing the desktop.

Solution: To force Windows 95 to rebuild the icon cache file, restart the
computer in Safe mode.  Use Windows Explorer to remove the file called
"ShellIconCache" from the Windows directory.  (You must be able to view all
files, including hidden files: click options on the view menu in Windows
Explorer, click Show All Files, then click OK.)  After deleting the
ShellIconCache file, restart Windows 95 normally.  Windows 95 will rebuild the
file on startup.

To resolve the problem in either Windows 95 or Windows NT: In the control panel,
double click on the Display icon. Click on the "Appearance" tab. In the "Item"
box, select "Icon".  Increase the icon size by one unit. Click Apply.  Decrease
the Icon size by one unit, click on OK.  This will force Windows to rebuild the
cache file.

-Jim McGuire
Custom Computer Programming

Re:Component Palette Icon problem - more info

I got the same problem too.
Dont know too what to do to solve it.
After reinstalling BCB 3.0 it was the same.
I changed from Win95 to NT where the System is frozen after starting BCB
I think its not the S3-Card because every other program works correctly.
What says Borland to this problem ?

Greetings
    Roland Weickert

Jim McGuire schrieb:

> This is a temporary solution, any further ideas on this problem?

> I have read repeated posts in the past about distorted component palettes.  The
> problem does appear to be with Windows NT/95 and not with Builder.  I have an S3
> VIRGE (type 375) video card.  There are no updated drivers that I could find
> (the latest is May 98).

> I found something that worked as a temporary fix.  It fixes icon problems in
> Windows in general.  If I perform the last step below (increasing icon size and
> decreasing it), while I am in C++Builder, it solves the problem in Builder for
> that session.  As soon as I log out of Builder and come back in I have the
> problem again.

> Here is what I read on the web page from my computer manufacturer (PowerSpec):

> <<<<<<<
> Problem: Icons in the control panel are displayed incorrectly as black boxes or
> the wrong icon.

> icon image is displayed for the control.

> Cause:  If the icons are only displayed incorrectly in the control panel; such
> as the icons only appearing black or the wrong image, the cause may be a damaged
> "ShellIconCache" file in the Windows folder. Windows caches the icon images to
> improve video performance when redrawing the desktop.

> Solution: To force Windows 95 to rebuild the icon cache file, restart the
> computer in Safe mode.  Use Windows Explorer to remove the file called
> "ShellIconCache" from the Windows directory.  (You must be able to view all
> files, including hidden files: click options on the view menu in Windows
> Explorer, click Show All Files, then click OK.)  After deleting the
> ShellIconCache file, restart Windows 95 normally.  Windows 95 will rebuild the
> file on startup.

> To resolve the problem in either Windows 95 or Windows NT: In the control panel,
> double click on the Display icon. Click on the "Appearance" tab. In the "Item"
> box, select "Icon".  Increase the icon size by one unit. Click Apply.  Decrease
> the Icon size by one unit, click on OK.  This will force Windows to rebuild the
> cache file.

> -Jim McGuire
> Custom Computer Programming

Re:Component Palette Icon problem - more info

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:47:36 +0100, Roland Weickert

<weick...@anka.fzk.de> wrote:
>I got the same problem too.
>Dont know too what to do to solve it.
>After reinstalling BCB 3.0 it was the same.
>I changed from Win95 to NT where the System is frozen after starting BCB
>I think its not the S3-Card because every other program works correctly.
>What says Borland to this problem ?

Inprise says that the problem is in the video driver for your card.
"How?" you ask...  Well,  they make use of some little known (or
utilized) driver functionality which is in the specs as specified by MS
for compliant video drivers.  These functions work on almost all video
cards except for S3 based cards.

You have just been lucky enough that no other software package that you
use attempt to make use of this functionality of your video card...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
Proud Member of Inprise's TeamB