Free system tray icon

Greetings!

Could someone suggest a freeware component to send an app to the System
Tray? I'm using BCB4 and so far haven't been able to find one. I did manage
to find a Delphi 4 component that does this but I don't know if it is
possible to install it on Builder, and if so how.

I'll appreciate any help. In an extreme case, I could do with a support
class, not necessarily a visual component. I just don't wan't to write it
myself because I'm short on time and I need it for a term project (albeit I
could write the class or the whole component usign the example included,
but... Sounds like reinventing quite an old wheel :-))

TIA,

_________________________________
Ramn Jimnez
INTEC / Sistemas
rjime...@mail.intec.edu.do
http://www.intec.edu.do/~rjimenez

Re:Free system tray icon

In the Borland C++Builder 3 Unleashed book there was an example of building
a package for a tray icon. I am not sure about Unleashed for 4 but you could
check one of the books, you will get more then just the tray icon.
Hope this helps some

Ramn Jimnez <rjime...@mail.intec.edu.do> wrote in message

> Greetings!

> Could someone suggest a freeware component to send an app to the System
> Tray? I'm using BCB4 and so far haven't been able to find one. I did
manage
> to find a Delphi 4 component that does this but I don't know if it is
> possible to install it on Builder, and if so how.

> I'll appreciate any help. In an extreme case, I could do with a support
> class, not necessarily a visual component. I just don't wan't to write it
> myself because I'm short on time and I need it for a term project (albeit
> could write the class or the whole component usign the example included,
> but... Sounds like reinventing quite an old wheel :-))

> TIA,

> _________________________________
> Ramn Jimnez
> INTEC / Sistemas
> rjime...@mail.intec.edu.do
> http://www.intec.edu.do/~rjimenez

Re:Free system tray icon

> Could someone suggest a freeware component to send an app to the System
> Tray? I'm using BCB4 and so far haven't been able to find one. I did manage

As is often the case, there are a few ways of doing it.

1) Use a component.  There are a zillion TrayIcon components in the
various libaries on the 'net.  Also, the shareware ZieglerCollection at
http://www.zieglersoft.com has one.

2) You can do it yourself.  Check this old posting by Harold Howe (who
has a chapter in his must-have reference book "BCB How-To" on it):

> You hide your app from the main taskbar with this code

> ShowWindow(Application->Handle, SW_HIDE);
> ShowWindow(Handle, SW_HIDE); // Handle is the main form's handle

> You can display an icon in the tray next to the clock by using the
> Shell_NotifyIcon API function. My TTrayIcon control makes this step
> effortless if you want to use it.

> http://www.bcbdev.com/components.htm

> Harold

Or see the example shipped with BCB:

Cbuilder\Examples\Controls\Tray

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarn...@buddydog.org)    |
| Engineering Manager       Roger Wagner Publishing |
| http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jdarnold            |

The one thing that unites all humans, regardless of
age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic
background, is that, deep down inside, we all believe
that we are above average drivers.  Dave Barry

Re:Free system tray icon

: "Ramn Jimnez" <rjime...@mail.intec.edu.do> wrote:

>Could someone suggest a freeware component to send an app to the System
>Tray? I'm using BCB4

Just use the one in

  E:\BCB4\Examples\Controls\Tray

Re:Free system tray icon

Hello Ramn

Ramn Jimnez <rjime...@mail.intec.edu.do> schreef in artikel
<7kkctf$4...@forums.borland.com>...

> Greetings!

> Could someone suggest a freeware component to send an app to the System
> Tray? I'm using BCB4 and so far haven't been able to find one.

You didn't look close enough<g>, there's one in the
CBuilder4\Examples\Controls directory of your bcb4 install, called
TrayIcon. The demo code for this component has an error in the make file
though. Remove all references to bcbsmp40.lib and all is fine...;-))

--
Greetings from sunny Amsterdam

                Jan

email: bijs...@worldonline.nl
http://home.worldonline.nl/~bijster

Re:Free system tray icon

Thanks to everyone for their prompt and accurate responses. Also, please
apologize me for sending this note so late :-)

--
Ramn Jimnez
INTEC / Sistemas
rjime...@mail.intec.edu.do