Advice on good book for learning Borland C++ Builder

Hello,

I have been using Visual C++ for quite a while now, but recently my
company has decided to use Borland C++ Builder (because my boss knows
Delphi and can't be bothered to learn VC++!!). As I am quite
knowledgeable on C++ programming including MFC, I was wondering if
anyone can suggest a decent book for helping me learn the new classes
and the BCB environment.

Thanks for any advice,

Andy

Re:Advice on good book for learning Borland C++ Builder

One of the best is the one that comes in the box with Builder3, Teach
Yourself Borland C++ Builder.  The 14 days edition is included, the 21 day
version is at your favorite bookstore (or at least it should...)  There are
others that get you more into the nitty gritty, but the Teach Yourself book
is the best introduction to the IDE, and pretty good at helping you get your
feet wet and your hands dirty.

      Kevin

Andy wrote in message <35812F65.6FFC6...@bis.de>...
>Hello,

>I have been using Visual C++ for quite a while now, but recently my
>company has decided to use Borland C++ Builder (because my boss knows
>Delphi and can't be bothered to learn VC++!!). As I am quite
>knowledgeable on C++ programming including MFC, I was wondering if
>anyone can suggest a decent book for helping me learn the new classes
>and the BCB environment.

Re:Advice on good book for learning Borland C++ Builder

> I have been using Visual C++ for quite a while now, but recently my
> company has decided to use Borland C++ Builder (because my boss knows

Yes!  That's great news!  Believe me, you'll be glad you came over!

> knowledgeable on C++ programming including MFC, I was wondering if
> anyone can suggest a decent book for helping me learn the new classes
> and the BCB environment.

As someone who knows C++ and programming, I suggest the "Unleashed" series.
I don't think the one for BCB3 is out yet, but it is due Real Soon Now.
But I can't imagine there are too many differences from the BCB1 version,
so if you can't wait, just pick that one up.

You should also run, don't walk, to your local bookstore (or, say,
amazon.com) and pick up Borland C++Builder How-To by Miano, Howe, and
Cabanski.  It is a treasure trove of code solving all sorts of problems.
The first two fellows hang out here quite a bit.

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarn...@world.std.com)   |
| Senior Engineer           Roger Wagner Publishing |
| http://people.ne.mediaone.net/jdarnold            |

Re:Advice on good book for learning Borland C++ Builder

Yes, this is excellent advice! Along with the Learn in 21 days book.
(I second the nominations)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:40:13 -0400, Jonathan Arnold

<jdarn...@world.std.com> wrote:
>Yes!  That's great news!  Believe me, you'll be glad you came over!

> I suggest the "Unleashed" series.
>You should also run, don't walk, to your local bookstore (or, say,
>amazon.com) and pick up Borland C++Builder How-To by Miano, Howe, and
>Cabanski.

Ken Moffat
kmof...@halcyon.com

Other Threads