Don't know how to change vcle50.lib for it's equivalent in BCB6

        Hi all!

        I know it's quite a stupid question, but I'm getting crazy navigating
through BCB menus. I have downloaded a free package created in BCB 5,
but I have the source files. I've compiled and installed the package
under BCB 6 with no problem, but when I try to add an vcl component
that's in the package on a new project, the linker generates a Fatal
error that tells me that it can't find the vcle50.lib.
        I can't find any reference to this library file in the package project,
why does it still complain about it? What should I do to solve this problem?

        TIA.

Re:Don't know how to change vcle50.lib for it's equivalent in BCB6

> I know it's quite a stupid question, but I'm getting crazy navigating
> through BCB menus. I have downloaded a free package created in BCB 5,
> but I have the source files. I've compiled and installed the package
> under BCB 6 with no problem, but when I try to add an vcl component
> that's in the package on a new project, the linker generates a Fatal
> error that tells me that it can't find the vcle50.lib.
> I can't find any reference to this library file in the package project,
> why does it still complain about it? What should I do to solve this

problem?

Similar thing here.  We have a lot of our own custom components.  Upgrading
to BCB6, the component guy tried first
to rebuild the components for BCB6.  He had the same problem.  I think that
he didn't delete all of the lib files as doing a
tdump showed some references to vcle50.  We had to abandon the upgrade due
to some other problems with TeeChart
so we're going to try this again.

Re:Don't know how to change vcle50.lib for it's equivalent in BCB6

Hello Duane,

Have you tried looking at your "Project/Edit Option Source" menu item or
doing a "Search/Find in Files" on all of your project files for a reference
to vcle50?

Borland decided around the Delphi 6/C++ Builder 6/Delphi 7 timeframe to
begin move away from including the version number in many package files.  So
the reference should now be to "vcle" (i.e. vcle.lib) instead of "vcle50".
After a search, I found the "vcle.lib" file in $(CBUILDER)\Lib\Release under
C++ Builder 6.

Interesting; generally Delphi/C++ Builder will automatically update these
references for you for files that are included with Delphi/C++ Builder.
This is generally only a problem with Third Party libraries.  For example,
upgrading from C++ Builder 5 to C++ Builder 6 would require our users to
change our package reference (if they are using packages) from Iocomp55 to
Iocomp65.
--

Cheers,
Patrick Carroll

"Patrick Carroll [Iocomp Software]" <PatrickCarr...@spamyouiocomp.com> wrote
in message news:3ece3c55$1@newsgroups.borland.com...

> Hello Duane,

> Have you tried looking at your "Project/Edit Option Source" menu item or
> doing a "Search/Find in Files" on all of your project files for a
reference
> to vcle50?

Yep.  Didn't find it in either.

> Borland decided around the Delphi 6/C++ Builder 6/Delphi 7 timeframe to
> begin move away from including the version number in many package files.
So
> the reference should now be to "vcle" (i.e. vcle.lib) instead of "vcle50".
> After a search, I found the "vcle.lib" file in $(CBUILDER)\Lib\Release
under
> C++ Builder 6.

Yep.  the vcle.lib file was there but there was no reference to vcle50 in
anything that I could
see.  I grepped through all of the directories.  The only reference I found
was in some lib files.
These lib files should have been regenerated (I think) when the components
were bebuilt.  We're going
to do a fresh install again, and make sure that only the source code is
transferred.  Hopefully
this will clear this up.

BTW, we got the build to complete just by copying the vcle50.lib file from
an older installation.  We were
then able to build our main app except for the teechart problems.  I've just
got some info from Steema that
the installer is sometimes broken and how to update manually so we're about
ready to
try this again.  So far, it's been lots of laughs...

Re:Don't know how to change vcle50.lib for it's equivalent in BCB6

Duane,

Try:
1. unistall your old components.
2. Edit/Delete from the packages problematic includes like Jordi's
vcle50.bpl.
3. Include the new vcle.bpl (thanks God Borland decided to supress the
version number!)
4. Compile your package. If the components source were compatible with the
BCB6 bpls,
you are in haven.
5. Install the new packages and try to compile your project.

Hint: try to delete all the .obj from your old project before Building it.

Regards,

Marcelo

Re:Don't know how to change vcle50.lib for it's equivalent in BCB6

Thanks.  We'll try this.  Fortunately the only components that are giving
us problems are ours :-(

"Marcelo Augusto Cicogna" <macico...@uol.com.br> wrote in message

> Duane,

> Try:
> 1. unistall your old components.
> 2. Edit/Delete from the packages problematic includes like Jordi's
> vcle50.bpl.
> 3. Include the new vcle.bpl (thanks God Borland decided to supress the
> version number!)
> 4. Compile your package. If the components source were compatible with the
> BCB6 bpls,
> you are in haven.
> 5. Install the new packages and try to compile your project.

> Hint: try to delete all the .obj from your old project before Building it.

> Regards,

> Marcelo

Re:Don't know how to change vcle50.lib for it's equivalent in BCB6

> through BCB menus. I have downloaded a free package created in BCB 5,
> but I have the source files. I've compiled and installed the package
> under BCB 6

I think you are on the right track by making sure that the BCB5
source is completely recompiled with BCB6 because that error
indicates that somehow your compile/link is bringing in BCB5-compiled
code. So look for any and all means of referencing old compiled
code including indirect means such #pragma link which can bring in
an old OBJ or LIB. If the package uses any binary code, e.g. some
innocuous Helper.LIB or .OBJ that might be the cause also.
Also, make sure your #includes don't bring in BCB5 headers
by mistake. Delete old *.csm and *.#?? (PCH files), etc.

The reason you see the error when accidentally linking in
OBJ's or LIB's from a previous release is that the VCL header
files have a line like this:

#pragma comment(lib, "vcle.lib")

That line, like #pramga link, at compile time, places a comment
record into the OBJ that tells the linker that the lib must be
found at link time.

--Craig

Re:Don't know how to change vcle50.lib for it's equivalent in BCB6

        Hi all!

        I've solved my problem after a lot trys. In my case, the problem was
that a library created with the components and that was needed by the
linker when linking had a reference to vcle50.lib. I agree with Marcelo,
you should try to delete all the .obj files and also all the .lib files
you created with the last BCB version, and rebuild all this object files
in BCB 6. I think that, if there's no other reference to vcle50 in any
other file, when all will be rebuilt there souldn't be more problems.

Other Threads