Converting delphi to bcb for BHO

Hi, i am trying to convert some delphi code of a browser helper object to
work in bcb5.  I am not doing too well since i am not familiar with delphi
at all, well except for the simple translations like ":=, if" simple stuff
like that.  This one is a lot harder, if i post the complete working example
in the attachments group, can someone give it a shot and see what can be
acomplished.

Thanks in advance.

Re:Converting delphi to bcb for BHO

You don't need to convert it. Just add it to the project and use it.
BCB can compile pascal files (Delphi can't compile BCB files)
--
Rgds Pete
GenHelp: The Component Writers Help Authoring package

"Carlton Rogers" <c_rogers2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi, i am trying to convert some delphi code of a browser helper object to
> work in bcb5.  I am not doing too well since i am not familiar with delphi
> at all, well except for the simple translations like ":=, if" simple stuff
> like that.  This one is a lot harder, if i post the complete working
example
> in the attachments group, can someone give it a shot and see what can be
> acomplished.

> Thanks in advance.

Re:Converting delphi to bcb for BHO

I tried that in the past and it did not convert all the files, plus a lot of
it did not even compile because of errors while compiling.  What if i have
to modify the code, how am i going to do it if it's still delphi.

> You don't need to convert it. Just add it to the project and use it.
> BCB can compile pascal files (Delphi can't compile BCB files)
> --
> Rgds Pete
> GenHelp: The Component Writers Help Authoring package
> =================================
> Web:  www.frasersoft.net

> "Carlton Rogers" <c_rogers2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i am trying to convert some delphi code of a browser helper object
> > work in bcb5.  I am not doing too well since i am not familiar with
delphi
> > at all, well except for the simple translations like ":=, if" simple
stuff
> > like that.  This one is a lot harder, if i post the complete working
> example
> > in the attachments group, can someone give it a shot and see what can be
> > acomplished.

> > Thanks in advance.

Re:Converting delphi to bcb for BHO

You can still edit pascal files in BCB and then re-compile them. I do this
quite often.
Which version of BCB do you use?
Rgds Pete

> I tried that in the past and it did not convert all the files, plus a lot
of
> it did not even compile because of errors while compiling.  What if i have
> to modify the code, how am i going to do it if it's still delphi.

> "Pete Fraser" <pete.fra...@at.frasersoft.dot.net> wrote in message
> > You don't need to convert it. Just add it to the project and use it.
> > BCB can compile pascal files (Delphi can't compile BCB files)
> > --
> > Rgds Pete
> > GenHelp: The Component Writers Help Authoring package
> > =================================
> > Web:  www.frasersoft.net

> > "Carlton Rogers" <c_rogers2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, i am trying to convert some delphi code of a browser helper object
> > > work in bcb5.  I am not doing too well since i am not familiar with
> delphi
> > > at all, well except for the simple translations like ":=, if" simple
> stuff
> > > like that.  This one is a lot harder, if i post the complete working
> > example
> > > in the attachments group, can someone give it a shot and see what can
be
> > > acomplished.

> > > Thanks in advance.

Re:Converting delphi to bcb for BHO

Okay let me try this again, seems like i am not getting far on this.  When i
first started the thread this is what i asked.

Hi, i am trying to convert some delphi code of a browser helper object to
work in bcb5.  I am not doing too well since i am not familiar with delphi
at all, well except for the simple translations like ":=, if" simple stuff
like that.  This one is a lot harder, if i post the complete working example
in the attachments group, can someone give it a shot and see what can be
acomplished.

I know i can edit the files in bcb, i can even edit it in notepad.  What
good is it going to do me to edit the files in either notepad or the bcb ide
when its still in pascal code.  Thats why i need a translation, so i will
know how to add to and take away from the code.  If i tell you to add some
code to your project thats in a language you don't know, is that going to be
of any help to you when you can't add to or take way from the code?

I see people from time to time asking to get pascal translated to c++ and i
read the same answers, "you don't need to convert it, just add it in and bcb
will compile it".  That does no good if you have to do modifications and you
don't know the language, if i knew pascal i would use the pascal example i
have and code the project in pascal.  I would not be looking for a
conversion.

Re:Converting delphi to bcb for BHO

The Object Pascal reference can be downloaded from Borland and might give
you some help. See
ftp://ftp.borland.com/pub/delphi/techpubs/delphi5/d5oplr.zip
I personally prefer to edit the pascal source (even though I don't fully
understand Pascal) as it will probably lead to less problems.
Rgds Pete

> Okay let me try this again, seems like i am not getting far on this.  When
> first started the thread this is what i asked.

> Hi, i am trying to convert some delphi code of a browser helper object to
> work in bcb5.  I am not doing too well since i am not familiar with delphi
> at all, well except for the simple translations like ":=, if" simple stuff
> like that.  This one is a lot harder, if i post the complete working
example
> in the attachments group, can someone give it a shot and see what can be
> acomplished.

> I know i can edit the files in bcb, i can even edit it in notepad.  What
> good is it going to do me to edit the files in either notepad or the bcb
ide
> when its still in pascal code.  Thats why i need a translation, so i will
> know how to add to and take away from the code.  If i tell you to add some
> code to your project thats in a language you don't know, is that going to
be
> of any help to you when you can't add to or take way from the code?

> I see people from time to time asking to get pascal translated to c++ and
> read the same answers, "you don't need to convert it, just add it in and
bcb
> will compile it".  That does no good if you have to do modifications and
you
> don't know the language, if i knew pascal i would use the pascal example i
> have and code the project in pascal.  I would not be looking for a
> conversion.

Re:Converting delphi to bcb for BHO

Thanks Pete, i will grab the reference and see how far i can get.  I edit
pascal source at times, but it would be so much better having it converted.
One time it took me two hours to figure out how to get the selected text of
a treeview, i was really struggling :)

Thanks

> The Object Pascal reference can be downloaded from Borland and might give
> you some help. See
> ftp://ftp.borland.com/pub/delphi/techpubs/delphi5/d5oplr.zip

Other Threads