Code Insight to slow

I use BCB5 at Home and MS visual Studio at UNI and I have found that the
Code completion facilities on BCB5 are very slow by comparison.  It some
times takes BCB5 up to around 5-6 seconds to produce a list of class member
functions.  I have taken to printing out my header files so that I can more
quickly flip through and get the method signatures for classes I have
written.  This seems crazy to me.  Is there some way to improve the speed.
I will experiment by moving my project files closer to the root to see if
this has any effect. Is it possible that BCB5 would directory search for
user classes , read them and then produce a list of class members in the
editor ?

would love some help, writing code is a bit painful at the moment.

Ben

Re:Code Insight to slow

Ben,

Are you using precompiled headers? If not then you will significantly
reduce compile times (which will affect CI) by doing this. Look at
this article:

  http://www.bcbdev.com/articles/pch.htm

The main reason why CI can be slow is that it offers context
sensitive help. To do this it must compile your code. With correct
use of precompiled headers CI lookup can be instantaneous. I am
hoping that in BCB6 Borland may elect to use CI caching and display
this information while checking/updating it in the background.
Unfortunately I have no reason to believe they will do this <sad
smile>.

Andrue Cope
[Bicester, UK]

Re:Code Insight to slow

Hi !

    I use BCB 4 & 5, and I have found that the code completion on BCB 4&5
are very slow too.
So I have change something :
    Go to environment option menu, click on Tab "audit code" and uncheck all
option
    Now when you want a property or a method in your class do this :

for example :
    MyClass->|     // | is your cursor ok ?
    now press ctrl+space and a list of methods and property appear

    now you have a SuperMethod in your class and you want to now what's
argument it needs
    MyClass->SuperMethod(|
    press shift+ctrl+space and all arguments appear

these techniques are more rapidily, but BCB search all methods and all
property in Parent Class
so it's normal if it's a little slow.

PS : Sorry for my poor english, I'm a french guy.

BlackBird
black.netw...@ifrance.com

"Ben Tait" <ar...@powerup.com.au> a crit dans le message news:
3b52a63a_2@dnews...

> I use BCB5 at Home and MS visual Studio at UNI and I have found that the
> Code completion facilities on BCB5 are very slow by comparison.  It some
> times takes BCB5 up to around 5-6 seconds to produce a list of class
member
> functions.  I have taken to printing out my header files so that I can
more
> quickly flip through and get the method signatures for classes I have
> written.  This seems crazy to me.  Is there some way to improve the speed.
> I will experiment by moving my project files closer to the root to see if
> this has any effect. Is it possible that BCB5 would directory search for
> user classes , read them and then produce a list of class members in the
> editor ?

> would love some help, writing code is a bit painful at the moment.

> Ben

Re:Code Insight to slow

I use BCB v5 and there is no "audit code" tab in the Environment Options
Dialog Box.
It doesn't exist anywhere.

"BlackBird" <black.netw...@ifrance.com> wrote in message

> Hi !

>     I use BCB 4 & 5, and I have found that the code completion on BCB 4&5
> are very slow too.
> So I have change something :
>     Go to environment option menu, click on Tab "audit code" and uncheck
all
> option
>     Now when you want a property or a method in your class do this :

> for example :
>     MyClass->|     // | is your cursor ok ?
>     now press ctrl+space and a list of methods and property appear

>     now you have a SuperMethod in your class and you want to now what's
> argument it needs
>     MyClass->SuperMethod(|
>     press shift+ctrl+space and all arguments appear

> these techniques are more rapidily, but BCB search all methods and all
> property in Parent Class
> so it's normal if it's a little slow.

> PS : Sorry for my poor english, I'm a french guy.

> BlackBird
> black.netw...@ifrance.com

> "Ben Tait" <ar...@powerup.com.au> a crit dans le message news:
> 3b52a63a_2@dnews...
> > I use BCB5 at Home and MS visual Studio at UNI and I have found that the
> > Code completion facilities on BCB5 are very slow by comparison.  It some
> > times takes BCB5 up to around 5-6 seconds to produce a list of class
> member
> > functions.  I have taken to printing out my header files so that I can
> more
> > quickly flip through and get the method signatures for classes I have
> > written.  This seems crazy to me.  Is there some way to improve the
speed.
> > I will experiment by moving my project files closer to the root to see
if
> > this has any effect. Is it possible that BCB5 would directory search for
> > user classes , read them and then produce a list of class members in the
> > editor ?

> > would love some help, writing code is a bit painful at the moment.

> > Ben

Re:Code Insight to slow

<jqpdev> wrote in message news:3b545033_2@dnews...
> I use BCB v5 and there is no "audit code" tab in the Environment Options
> Dialog Box.
> It doesn't exist anywhere.

Possibly that's a mistranslation... I believe he means turn off all the
options in the 'Automatic features' section on the Code Insight tab.  That's
where it is in CB4.

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk

Re:Code Insight to slow

ok in bcb 4, this exist, but in bcb 5 I don't know, I will install bcb 5
this afternoon and I resend a msg this afternoon.

<jqpdev> a crit dans le message news: 3b545033_2@dnews...

> I use BCB v5 and there is no "audit code" tab in the Environment Options
> Dialog Box.
> It doesn't exist anywhere.

> "BlackBird" <black.netw...@ifrance.com> wrote in message
> > Hi !

> >     I use BCB 4 & 5, and I have found that the code completion on BCB
4&5
> > are very slow too.
> > So I have change something :
> >     Go to environment option menu, click on Tab "audit code" and uncheck
> all
> > option
> >     Now when you want a property or a method in your class do this :

> > for example :
> >     MyClass->|     // | is your cursor ok ?
> >     now press ctrl+space and a list of methods and property appear

> >     now you have a SuperMethod in your class and you want to now what's
> > argument it needs
> >     MyClass->SuperMethod(|
> >     press shift+ctrl+space and all arguments appear

> > these techniques are more rapidily, but BCB search all methods and all
> > property in Parent Class
> > so it's normal if it's a little slow.

> > PS : Sorry for my poor english, I'm a french guy.

> > BlackBird
> > black.netw...@ifrance.com

> > "Ben Tait" <ar...@powerup.com.au> a crit dans le message news:
> > 3b52a63a_2@dnews...
> > > I use BCB5 at Home and MS visual Studio at UNI and I have found that
the
> > > Code completion facilities on BCB5 are very slow by comparison.  It
some
> > > times takes BCB5 up to around 5-6 seconds to produce a list of class
> > member
> > > functions.  I have taken to printing out my header files so that I can
> > more
> > > quickly flip through and get the method signatures for classes I have
> > > written.  This seems crazy to me.  Is there some way to improve the
> speed.
> > > I will experiment by moving my project files closer to the root to see
> if
> > > this has any effect. Is it possible that BCB5 would directory search
for
> > > user classes , read them and then produce a list of class members in
the
> > > editor ?

> > > would love some help, writing code is a bit painful at the moment.

> > > Ben

Re:Code Insight to slow

jqpdev wrote:

One, please watch your overquoting. It is against newsgroup guidelines:

http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/netiquette.html -      netiquette

> I use BCB v5 and there is no "audit code" tab in the Environment Options

Here's my standard reply about Code Insight:

This is Code Insight running, trying to give you lots of cool
information about the variable you are hovering over, like a list of
methods and properties and such.  If you hold down the control key
over a variable or whatever, you'll see it turn into a link, so you
can jump to its declaration too! These are all cool things, but they
can take a while as the code is pre-compiled so it can find it. If
your machine is at all reasonable, you can usually get a reasonable
response time by tuning your precompiled headers, as Harold Howe
documents at:

http://www.bcbdev.com/articles/pch.htm

However, if you still want to turn it all off, do the following:

1] Go to Tools|Environment Options|Code Insight and turn off all the options

2] Do a registry hack. Mind you, all the usual warnings apply when editing the
registry, but:

Change value of registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\C++Builder\4.0\Code Insight\Declaration Information
from "-1" to "False"...

In BCB5 there are more settings and less need for registry hacks. See
Tools|Editor Options, the Code Insight tab.

Also see:

+=====================================================+
| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarn...@buddydog.org)      |
| Team Martini    Comprehensive C++Builder link site: |
| http://www.buddydog.org/C++Builder/c++builder.html  |

Re:Code Insight to slow

Hi !

    In BCB 5, go to editor options, and in the last tab uncheck the 4
checkbox. the first time you use ctrl+space, it will take a little times and
after the listbox appear immediatly.

BlackBird
black.netw...@ifrance.com

Other Threads