Error with MIDL and Netmeeting IDL files

I'm trying to work with the MS NetMeeting SDK which uses IDL files.  I
have the MIDL
compiler working and finding all the correct IDL files but something is
causing it to {*word*88}.  At this
point I'm only working with MS code, none of it is my own.

Here is output from running it on the command line:

    D:\NM21SDK\INCLUDE>midl.exe /cpp_cmd "C:\Program
Files\Borland\CBuilder\bin\cpp3
    2.exe" /cpp_opt "-P- -oCON" /I "C:\Program
Files\Borland\CBuilder\include\idl" .\ils.idl
    Microsoft (R) MIDL Compiler Version 3.00.44
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1991-1995. All rights reserved.
    Processing .\ils.idl
    Processing C:\Program Files\Borland\CBuilder\include\idl\objidl.idl
    command line error MIDL1003 : error returned by the C preprocessor
(1)

This is from the Microsoft site:
    MIDL1003 : error returned by the C preprocessor
        The preprocessor returned an error. The error message is
directed to the output stream.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?  I'm using BC 1 Pro with both
patches applied.

TIA
Keary Phillips

Re:Error with MIDL and Netmeeting IDL files

I have been able to get MIDL to work properly with BCB3. Perhaps there is a
problem with MIDL and BCB1 . For what it is worth, here is a command line
that works, essentially taken from the make file of Chapter 10 of Inside
COM by Dale Rogerson,

midl /cpp_cmd CPP32 -cpp_opt "-P- -oCON" /h iface.h /iid guids.c /proxy
proxy.c server10.idl

I do not know why this works and your example doesn't. In my case CPP32 is
found on the Windows path. I did find a problem with the MIDL compiler I
was using, which is version 5.00.1496.1, and reported it to Microsoft ( no
response from them ) but it was not the error that you found but rather
some non Ansi C++ code that it generated in one case. I was able to find a
workaround to my problem. It sounds as if the MIDL version you are using
with BCB1 is an older one and perhaps that is giving you the problem.

Keary Phillips wrote:
> I'm trying to work with the MS NetMeeting SDK which uses IDL files.  I
> have the MIDL
> compiler working and finding all the correct IDL files but something is
> causing it to {*word*88}.  At this
> point I'm only working with MS code, none of it is my own.

> Here is output from running it on the command line:

>     D:\NM21SDK\INCLUDE>midl.exe /cpp_cmd "C:\Program
> Files\Borland\CBuilder\bin\cpp3
>     2.exe" /cpp_opt "-P- -oCON" /I "C:\Program
> Files\Borland\CBuilder\include\idl" .\ils.idl
>     Microsoft (R) MIDL Compiler Version 3.00.44
>     Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1991-1995. All rights reserved.
>     Processing .\ils.idl
>     Processing C:\Program Files\Borland\CBuilder\include\idl\objidl.idl
>     command line error MIDL1003 : error returned by the C preprocessor
> (1)

> This is from the Microsoft site:
>     MIDL1003 : error returned by the C preprocessor
>         The preprocessor returned an error. The error message is
> directed to the output stream.

> Any suggestions on where to go from here?  I'm using BC 1 Pro with both
> patches applied.

> TIA
> Keary Phillips

Other Threads