TCanvas FillRect question

I am using the canvas property of a string grid to "paint" in the cells. No
issues, except one. I wanted to fill a cell with the cross hatch pattern. I
did this by setting the TCanvas->BrushStyle to bsDiagCross. I also set the
TCanvas->Brush->Color to some color I wanted to use. when the FillRect
command is called, it does do the DiagCross, in the color I wanted. But the
background of the cell is now black. Where is this background color coming
from. It is not the color of the cell (which was white).

any ideas on how to fix this are much appreciated.

Thanks, Brian