Sending memory between 16-bit and 32-bit applications with DDE

Does anybody know if it is possible to send memory allocated with
GlobalAlloc between 16- and 32-bit applications? It doesn't seem to work in
my test program.

Are there any other ways to send data between 16/32-bit applications?

I am very thankfull for answers...

/Joachim

Re:Sending memory between 16-bit and 32-bit applications with DDE

In article <7bhdfo$...@sdaw04.seinf.abb.se>,
  "ABB Network Partner AB" <joachim.embret...@senet.abb.se> wrote:

> Does anybody know if it is possible to send memory allocated with
> GlobalAlloc between 16- and 32-bit applications? It doesn't seem to work in
> my test program.

> Are there any other ways to send data between 16/32-bit applications?

> I am very thankfull for answers...

> /Joachim

Joachim,

For sending data by DDE you should use the DdeCreateDataHandle() call,
assuming you are using the DDEML API. If you are writing using raw DDE and
PostMessage(), which I would strongly advise against,  you must use the
GMEM_DDESHARE flag.

DDE works fine between 16 and 32 bit applications. DDE is completely
bit-blind. You can also use WM_COPYDATA, but this requires you to use
SendMessage(), which is not always possible or advisable. You can also use
the clipboard.

Roger Abbott
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys
DDE tools, shareware, Algol60

Re:Sending memory between 16-bit and 32-bit applications with DDE

Use a SharedMemoryMap - it's FAR better.
http://home.sprintmail.com/~mdeverett/memshare.htm

Mike

ABB Network Partner AB <joachim.embret...@senet.abb.se> wrote in message

>Does anybody know if it is possible to send memory allocated with
>GlobalAlloc between 16- and 32-bit applications? It doesn't seem to work in
>my test program.

>Are there any other ways to send data between 16/32-bit applications?

>I am very thankfull for answers...

>/Joachim

Other Threads