Problem calling Windows User Interface Functions on Windows 2003 Sp1 Terminal Server

2005-09-12 04:02:27 PM
cppbuilder73
I have an old application written with MS Visual C++. It uses the old OWL library for GUI creation etc. When running the application on a Windows 2003 Server everything works fine, but after installing SP1 on that server the application stops running with a crash as result. After debugging it seems to be problems with function calls to Windows Interface Functions such as CreateWindowEx, but no exceptions that make sense are thrown. The problem only occurs when logging in to the server via Remote Desktop.
I suspect that the problem has to do with the extended security control provided in SP1, but I have not managed to find a solution to the problem by tweaking security parameters.
Does anyone have a clue about how to solve the problem?
Regards Henrik

Re:Problem calling Windows User Interface Functions on Windows 2003 Sp1 Terminal Server

Henrik wrote:
I have an old application written with MS Visual C++. It uses the old OWL library for GUI creation etc. When running the application on a Windows 2003 Server everything works fine, but after installing SP1 on that server the application stops running with a crash as result. After debugging it seems to be problems with function calls to Windows Interface Functions such as CreateWindowEx, but no exceptions that make sense are thrown. The problem only occurs when logging in to the server via Remote Desktop.

I suspect that the problem has to do with the extended security control provided in SP1, but I have not managed to find a solution to the problem by tweaking security parameters.

Does anyone have a clue about how to solve the problem?

Regards Henrik

Hello,
Which version of OWL are you using?
In the OWLNext forum there were threads discussing a 64-bit DEP problem:
https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1155637&forum_id=97175
sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php
If this is connected to your problem, and if you are using OWLNext,
you may try to build your application with the latest release candidate
for OWLNext 6.20:
owlnext.sourceforge.net/patches/owl60419p20_rc5.zip
Jogy