Closing editor throws away changes

Non-form units appear to be discarded without saving changes
when the editor is closed. I would have expected to be asked
at any rate. I'm becoming rather paranoid about losing code...
Anyone else getting this?

Arnold the Aardvark

Re:Closing editor throws away changes

I just tryed and it asked me to save my changes ?
What are the exact step to reproduce youre problem.

MatzTheWolf <matzer...@videotron.ca> wrote in article
<377D0531.4E734...@videotron.ca>...
I just tryed and it asked me to save my changes ?
What are the exact step to reproduce youre problem.

1. Launch BCB4
2. Do File | New... and choose Unit
3. Right click on the editor and open the header
4. Enter a simple class declaration - class Class {};
5. Click the X to close the editor

You are not asked to save changes to the new unit.
You are asked if you make changes to the .CPP but
not the .H. This is not the case in BCB3.

Is it just me?

Arnold the Aardvark
===========================
http://www.foxholly.demon.co.uk
ICQ# 30592054

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:
> MatzTheWolf <matzer...@videotron.ca> wrote in article
> <377D0531.4E734...@videotron.ca>...
> I just tryed and it asked me to save my changes ?
> What are the exact step to reproduce youre problem.

> 1. Launch BCB4
> 2. Do File | New... and choose Unit
> 3. Right click on the editor and open the header
> 4. Enter a simple class declaration - class Class {};
> 5. Click the X to close the editor

> You are not asked to save changes to the new unit.
> You are asked if you make changes to the .CPP but
> not the .H. This is not the case in BCB3.

BCB saves the .h automaticaly when you save the cpp. They are closelly
linked in bcb.
I did all youre steps. When I closed bcb I was asked if I wanted to save
my file. I said yes and it saved the .h as well.

> Is it just me?

I'm starting to think so....

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:

> You are not asked to save changes to the new unit.
> You are asked if you make changes to the .CPP but
> not the .H. This is not the case in BCB3.

There are several subtly entropic changes from BCB3 to BCB4 as a result
of BCB4's IDE actually being a port of the D4 IDE rather than an upgrade
from the BCB3 IDE. These include the above-mentioned dehancement, plus a
couple others that are extremely irritating:

* the New Unit... command has been removed from the File menu, which is
just really handy when you're creating a project with a couple hundred
classes and you want each in its own unit.

* the Help windows no longer remember their size or position, and insist
on opening in the lower-right hand corner of the screen, regardless of
where you would like to have them.

Lin
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsh...@gte.net> http://www.cti-pro.com
Computer programming, technical writing, web development

Re:Closing editor throws away changes

Linda Sherman <linsh...@gte.net> wrote in article
<377D2537.47447...@gte.net>...
>>There are several subtly entropic changes from BCB3 to BCB4 as a result

of BCB4's IDE actually being a port of the D4 IDE rather than an upgrade
from the BCB3 IDE.

Now I didn't know that...

>>>* the New Unit... command has been removed from the File menu, which is

just really handy when you're creating a project with a couple hundred
classes and you want each in its own unit.

True. With that many units, I think I'd also like to group them into
folders
in the project "manager". I'm sure the BC++5.0 IDE allowed this.

Arnold the Aardvark
===========================

<377D1688.4E03B...@videotron.ca>...
>>> BCB saves the .h automaticaly when you save the cpp. They are closelly

linked in bcb.

Obviously I know this. Thanks for trying it out.

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:

> Linda Sherman <linsh...@gte.net> wrote in article
> just really handy when you're creating a project with a couple hundred
> classes and you want each in its own unit.

> True. With that many units, I think I'd also like to group them into
> folders
> in the project "manager". I'm sure the BC++5.0 IDE allowed this.

I forget to mention that not only did they remove New Unit from the File
menu, but they put the icon OFF THE BOTTOM of a window that you can
indeed resize, but which does not remember its size across BCB4
sessions.

Lin
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsh...@gte.net> http://www.cti-pro.com
Computer programming, technical writing, web development
voice and fax: 1-813-855-5261
Welsh language site: http://www.dalati.com

Re:Closing editor throws away changes

:-) This could become a long thread.

Arnold the Aardvark
===========================
http://www.foxholly.demon.co.uk
ICQ# 30592054

Re:Closing editor throws away changes

: Linda Sherman <linsh...@gte.net> wrote:

>they put the icon OFF THE BOTTOM of a window that

Press "U" once :-)

Re:Closing editor throws away changes

Hello Linda,

Linda Sherman <linsh...@gte.net> schreef in artikel
<377D2537.47447...@gte.net>...

> These include the above-mentioned dehancement, plus a
> couple others that are extremely irritating:

> * the New Unit... command has been removed from the File menu, which is
> just really handy when you're creating a project with a couple hundred
> classes and you want each in its own unit.

However, right clicking on the file toolbar and selecting customize you'll
find in the File section an entry 'New Unit' that you can drag onto this
toolbar. It was the first customization I did<g>, although they forgot to
add a fancy icon for it...;-))

> * the Help windows no longer remember their size or position

That is annoying indeed, but one gets used to it...

--
Greetings from overcast Amsterdam

                Jan

email: bijs...@worldonline.nl
http://home.worldonline.nl/~bijster

"J.A. Bijsterbosch" wrote:

> However, right clicking on the file toolbar and selecting customize you'll
> find in the File section an entry 'New Unit' that you can drag onto this
> toolbar. It was the first customization I did<g>, although they forgot to
> add a fancy icon for it...;-))

I didn't know that! Thanks for the pointer. Still wish it were a menu
command, however...Old Ms. Carpal Tunnels here likes to avoid reaching
for the mouse any more than she has to.)

> > * the Help windows no longer remember their size or position

> That is annoying indeed, but one gets used to it...

I haven't gotten used to it at all--and I've actually been dealing with
this since D4 came out, which was several months before B4. It's not so
bad on the 19" but it's a real pain in the {*word*82}on my trusty old Gateway
13" because the window is small that I have to resize it just to read
anything.

And what's even more annoying is that it worked just fine in D3 and B3,
and then either it was broken in D4 or someone at Borland unilaterally
decided to "improve" it.

Lin

--
Linda K. Sherman <linsh...@gte.net> http://www.cti-pro.com
Computer programming, technical writing, web development
voice and fax: 1-813-855-5261
Welsh language site: http://www.dalati.com

Other Threads