BCB5-Std About Dialog; stupid newbie question

I've been trying to follow a tutorial in the online help and in a book I
have.  Both refer to using File|New, then selecting a "Forms" tab and
then selecting "About Dialog".  However, when I do this the "New Items"
box that shows up after File|New, doesn't have a "Forms" tab, and I
can't find anything about an About Dialog anywhere.  What have I
missed?  Was the About Dialog removed in the standard edition?  Is there
a free resource out there that has some pre-made "standard-looking"
About Dialog components?  I'm not exactly at the stage where I can make
my own components.  :-)

Also, where is the "right" place for code that does some file I/O work
*before* the program is even visible to the user?

Thanks,
Ed

--
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.  -- Voltaire

Re:BCB5-Std About Dialog; stupid newbie question

"Ed Cogburn" <ecogb...@greene.xtn.net> wrote in message

> Also, where is the "right" place for code that does some file I/O work
> *before* the program is even visible to the user?

Either in the WinMain (a bit dodgy because BCB can trash code in the
WinMain.  You can get round this by putting your code in a function in a
separate file, and calling this file before the Application->CreateForm call
in WinMain).

Or, IMHO preferably, in the constructor of you MainForm of your application.
The constructor is called before the form is shown so this will have the
desired effect.

Russell

Re:BCB5-Std About Dialog; stupid newbie question

Ed Cogburn <ecogb...@greene.xtn.net> wrote in message

> I've been trying to follow a tutorial in the online help and in a book I
> have.  Both refer to using File|New, then selecting a "Forms" tab and
> then selecting "About Dialog".  However, when I do this the "New Items"
> box that shows up after File|New, doesn't have a "Forms" tab, and I
> can't find anything about an About Dialog anywhere.  What have I
> missed?  Was the About Dialog removed in the standard edition?  Is there
> a free resource out there that has some pre-made "standard-looking"
> About Dialog components?  I'm not exactly at the stage where I can make
> my own components.  :-)

It was there when I used it :-)  (BCB5)
Take a look in $(BCB)/ObjRepos folder, where you should find
about.cpp
about.dfm
about.h
about.ico
If they're there you can manually add the form to the forms tab (which
you'll also create.)

Not sure on the best way, but you can open the form in the IDE, right click
on the form and add to Repository. The Page edit should be Forms.

Claire

"Claire W." wrote:

> It was there when I used it :-)  (BCB5)
> Take a look in $(BCB)/ObjRepos folder, where you should find
> about.cpp
> about.dfm
> about.h
> about.ico

Thanks for the help guys.  I don't understand it, but I decided to
reinstall to see if that would help, and sure enough the "Forms" tab is
there now along with a lot of other stuff.  My first couple of projects
ended up getting trashed because I didn't know what I was doing, so
maybe I trashed more than just the projects.

--
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.  -- Voltaire

Other Threads