QC: Vote for VCL without tying up any of your other BCB votes

2004-04-07 11:04:26 PM
cppbuilder12
As you can use 5 votes PER PRODUCT. I've added entry 7837 to the Delphi
section of QC.
/************ entry ***************/
Vote to Integrate Delphi and C++Builder
At the moment C++ Builder can compile both C++ code and Delphi code. Now
that BCB has been discontinued and VCL support in C++BuilderX is in question
I would suggest enhancing Delphi to provide the same facility. This would
create one product suitable for ALL VCL users (Delphi and C++ alike).
As well as providing a migration path for existing BCB users, this would
also benefit current Delphi users as it would allow them access to the vast
amount of C++ code available.
Please vote for this issue if you agree. (Alternatively, vote for a similar
issue under C++Builder if your existing Delphi votes are already spoken
for).
/********************************/
I've also added a similar entry (#7838) to the BCB section.
In case you're not aware, you can use upto 5 votes on a single issue.
Des

Re:QC: Vote for VCL without tying up any of your other BCB votes

At 17:04:26, 07.04.2004, Des O'Toole wrote:
Vote to Integrate Delphi and C++Builder
Good idea.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"It was the experience of mystery -- even if mixed with fear -- that

Des O'Toole wrote:
As you can use 5 votes PER PRODUCT. I've added entry 7837 to the Delphi
section of QC.

/************ entry ***************/
Vote to Integrate Delphi and C++Builder
I just put 5 votes on it.

{smallsort}

Re:QC: Vote for VCL without tying up any of your other BCB votes

Good idea, but is it a realistic proposition from Borland's point of view?
Stew
"Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Good idea.
--

"BigStew" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Good idea, but is it a realistic proposition from Borland's point of view?

Well it obviously would be possible. There's also a good a chance that it
would dig Borland out of the hole that they are currently perceived to be
in.
I suspect that they've kept the two products separate for marketing
purposes, perhaps, if enough people speak up, it would be a good time for
them to review it.

At 19:20:10, 07.04.2004, BigStew wrote:
Good idea, but is it a realistic proposition from Borland's point of
view?
You'll have to ask Borland, not me. But I guess it could be done.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Never mistake motion for action." -- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Des O'Toole wrote:
As you can use 5 votes PER PRODUCT. I've added entry 7837 to the Delphi
section of QC.

/************ entry ***************/
Vote to Integrate Delphi and C++Builder
Come on folks. Go vote for this one. Most BCB users have 5 Delphi-specific votes
sitting unused.
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
You can also go put 5 votes into BCBX bugs. In particular, a Win32 VCL forms designer
for BCBX:
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
or CodeGuard support in BCBX:
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
For BCB I voted on 3 linker bugs:
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
and for Athlon 64 compatibility
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
and for a longer list of most recently used projects:

Randall Parker wrote:
Des O'Toole wrote:

>As you can use 5 votes PER PRODUCT. I've added entry 7837 to the Delphi
>section of QC.
>
>/************ entry ***************/
>Vote to Integrate Delphi and C++Builder

Come on folks. Go vote for this one. Most BCB users have 5 Delphi-specific
votes
sitting unused.
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

You can also go put 5 votes into BCBX bugs. In particular, a Win32 VCL
forms designer
for BCBX:
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
May I suggest that people don't spend all 5 votes on a VCL forms designer?
While it would be nice, there are other bugs (eg BOE bugs) that make BCBX
nearly unusable (for me at least). A VCL designer would be no good to me if
I couldn't actually use it. Spread your votes around.
--
Vesty.

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Come on folks. Go vote for this one. Most BCB users have 5 Delphi-specific votes
sitting unused.
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details
Sorry Randall, I can't help you on this one. I have little or no interest
in Delphi. I only tolerate it <g>because that's the way they've implemented
VCL. I would have preferred to have VCL rewritten in C++ (I know
it's not a trivial task - we've discussed it to death but then again
1KUS per developer is not a trivial price IMO)
I think a straight C++ environmnet is much more preferable.
Besides, we're not going to buy Delphi(X) to get C++.
FMPOV, Borland can get CBX working correctly to build win32 apps or
update BCB until they can. Any solution that doesn't support win32 GUI
RAD is not going to really work for us.
CBX is interesting but not functional in this respect. Win32 may be going
away but not this year.
Cross-platform may be good but without a compiler
that works cross-platform, the advantages dwindle. So I can run CBX on
a Linux box. I can use the compiler/linker/de{*word*81} that come with Linux.
I can use opensource wxWidgets ( or TCL for that matter)
That's a lot of money for an IDE.
I can't use the win32 100% compliant compiler to generate
any code that won't work in GCC or my codes
not portable.
I don't see the value of this product. I imagine they're going
to release a RAD GUI designer even if it does use wxWidgets.
Maybe that will fly. I'll have to check it out first.

news:40743fe3$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Come on folks. Go vote for this one. Most BCB users have 5 Delphi-specific votes
>sitting unused.
>qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Sorry Randall, I can't help you on this one. I have little or no interest
in Delphi. I only tolerate it <g>because that's the way they've implemented
VCL. I would have preferred to have VCL rewritten in C++ (I know
it's not a trivial task - we've discussed it to death but then again
1KUS per developer is not a trivial price IMO)
Duane,
If Borland had bundled them together a few years ago we'd already have a BCB v7 as
part of the Delphi v7 release. We'd likely also have more total C++ VCL users since
all the Delphi users would be getting it and there are a lot more of them than BCB
users.

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:40745f06>
If Borland had bundled them together a few years ago we'd already have a BCB v7 as
part of the Delphi v7 release. We'd likely also have more total C++ VCL users since
all the Delphi users would be getting it and there are a lot more of them than BCB
users.
I understand what you mean but I want to break the link with VCL/Delphi/C++
From a C++ user's perspective it's inconceivable to me that a base class
can be initialized AFTER a derived class and destroyed BEFORE. Also,
the concept of a virtual ctor boggles the mind.
There are a lot of points that I like about CBX from the conceptual point of
view. One is a C++ tool written in C++. I don't particularly need or want
VCL but I want to be able to do RAD GUI development with whatever
replaces BCB. I think if Borland can't support C++ shops, there are
other vendors. Besides, you don't think that they would bundle C++
with Delphi as a freebie, do you. They would require just as much R&D
as they do now (maybe less for the duplicated IDE but not linker/compiler etc)
and that cost would have to be passed on to the product. It would end up that
Delphi users were paying for C++ development and vice versa.
These are all only my opinions, so take them at face value. I hope
that after the smoke clears, at least some of us will be satisfied.

Re:QC: Vote for VCL without tying up any of your other BCB votes

If Borland had bundled them together a few years ago we'd already have a
BCB v7 as
part of the Delphi v7 release. We'd likely also have more total C++ VCL
users since
all the Delphi users would be getting it and there are a lot more of them
than BCB
users.
Also, they maybe would have taken more care in the Delphi compatibility
problems with BCB. There are a lot of problems that requiere workarounds
when dealing with Delphi components.
For example, in some cases (no, I don't have a small or feasible test case)
some virtual functions calls end up in another function (usually the next
one declared in the Delphi source). This, as you can see, it's a big
problem...
--
Rodrigo Gómez
rgomez.msa.com.mx/gallery/

Re:QC: Vote for VCL without tying up any of your other BCB votes

Sorry Randall, I can't help you on this one. I have little or no interest
in Delphi. I only tolerate it <g>because that's the way they've
implemented
VCL. I would have preferred to have VCL rewritten in C++ (I know
it's not a trivial task - we've discussed it to death but then again
1KUS per developer is not a trivial price IMO)
But do never expect to get a pure C++ VCL with so many
valuable 3rd party components without the big market
segment of the Delphi users. VCL is written in Object Pascal
which is not that bad IMHO and could be tolerated for
getting a much bigger community.
Just my two cents.
Frank.

"Frank Gruber" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:40751f43$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
But do never expect to get a pure C++ VCL with so many
valuable 3rd party components without the big market
segment of the Delphi users. VCL is written in Object Pascal
which is not that bad IMHO and could be tolerated for
getting a much bigger community.
Well you have a good point about the 3rd party components.
I don't see any wxWidget replacement for TeeChart or
TPagePrinter. I just don't think bundling C++ and Delphi
into Delphi is the solution.

Re:QC: Vote for VCL without tying up any of your other BCB votes

I just don't think bundling C++ and Delphi
into Delphi is the solution.
Mabye it is not "the" solution but it is one (and not a bad one IMHO).
Integrating BCB into Delphi for Windows based development
with OP and C++ and BCX for cross-plattform development
for C++ purists.
I'm sure this would also lead to much more VCL based components
written in C++.
Frank.