BCBX: Does it support Athlon64 code generation?

2003-09-19 01:22:02 PM
cppbuilder65
Does the GCC compiler for BCBX support Windows and/or Linux Athlon
64 bit instruction set code generation?

Re:BCBX: Does it support Athlon64 code generation?

Jeff Weir < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Randall Parker wrote:

>Does the GCC compiler for BCBX support Windows and/or Linux Athlon
>64 bit instruction set code generation?

From the gcc docs:

These -m switches are supported in addition to the above on AMD x86-64
processors in 64-bit environments.

-m32
-m64
[snip]
This means that GCC suport 64 bit AMD. It doesn't means that CBX comes
with GCC binaries that has such support.
Every GCC binary supports only one architecture, which is selected
when the user builds GCC. As CBX is advertised as compiler-agnostic,
the user can build a GCC supporting 64 bit AMD architecture and plug
it into CBX. This should be easy to do on *nix. Non-trivial on
Windows. A different thing is the de{*word*81}. Please note that it is
possible to have as much GCC installations on a system as you wish.
--
Oscar

Randall Parker wrote:
Does the GCC compiler for BCBX support Windows and/or Linux Athlon
64 bit instruction set code generation?

There is no GCC for CBX. There is a toolset description that allows GCC
to be used inside CBX.
It should be trivial to create a toolset description (copy and rename a
couple of files) for a 64 bit Athlon GCC.
.a

{smallsort}

Oscar Fuentes wrote:
the user can build a GCC supporting 64 bit AMD architecture and plug
it into CBX. This should be easy to do on *nix. Non-trivial on
Windows. A different thing is the de{*word*81}. Please note that it is
Oscar, could you clarify this, please? What exactly is non-trivial in
Windows? Building a gcc cross-compiler or plugging it into CBX? I can't
see how latter is difficult.
.a

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
It should be trivial to create a toolset description (copy and rename a
couple of files) for a 64 bit Athlon GCC.
We're actually going to have a "build your own toolset" contest on BDN
shortly.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/thanks.html

"Alex Bakaev [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Oscar, could you clarify this, please? What exactly is non-trivial in
Windows? Building a gcc cross-compiler or plugging it into CBX? I
can't see how latter is difficult.
Building GCC for 64 bit AMD.
--
Oscar

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:

>It should be trivial to create a toolset description (copy and rename
>a couple of files) for a 64 bit Athlon GCC.

We're actually going to have a "build your own toolset" contest on BDN
shortly.

There is a reason that you are running BDN - you have great ideas for it!
.a

Re:BCBX: Does it support Athlon64 code generation?

Oscar Fuentes wrote:

Building GCC for 64 bit AMD.

Could you give more details, please?
thanx,
.a

Oscar Fuentes wrote:

>Building GCC for 64 bit AMD.

Could you give more details, please?
For building GCC you need a system with certain amount of *nix
support. On Windows, Cygwin and MSYS provides this (MSYS is a Cygwin
fork created by a MinGW maintainer). However, due to differences among
the multitude of *nix systems out there, it is necessary to tweak the
build machinery and the GCC/Binutils sources themselves. For some
platforms, the sources distributed by GNU are already tested. That's
not the case for Cygwin/MSYS and cross-compilation. I know of people
that successfully created cross-compilers on Windows, but usually some
tweaks are needed. For that, you need to know certain things about
*nix (mostly shell programming and 'make' ;-) and GCC itself. As the
Windows folks are accustomed to installations with a few clicks, don't
expect your average guy to create an AMD64 cross- or native- compiler
for you on Windows.
IIRC, Windows will support AMD64 on the near future. This poses the
question of the C library. MinGW uses MSVCRT.DLL. I'm afraid that the
MinGW headers and import libraries will not work for the C library
that that Windows version will use.
Having a Windows GCC cross-compiler for AMD64 is not a serious
problem. Someone will do it and publish the binaries somewhere. Having
a Windows C library for it is the delicate thing. Now that I think
about it, Binutils possibly will require some extension work for
creating executables for Windows/AMD64, as well as GDB.
My conclusions are this:
AMD64 from Linux to Linux, ok
AMD64 from Windows to *nix, doable with some work.
AMD64 from * to Windows, will require quite a few of work by
knowledgeable people
I hope that was the kind of details you asked for.
--
Oscar

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:
There is a reason that you are running BDN - you have great ideas for it!
Aw, shucks. ;-)
Actually, JT and David I asked me about doing this one. I just created
the infrastructure.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/thanks.html
Make a wish: qc.borland.com * Get source
codecentral.borland.com

Re:BCBX: Does it support Athlon64 code generation?

Oscar Fuentes wrote:
[snip]
I hope that was the kind of details you asked for.

Yes, thanx - much appreciated.
.a

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote:

>There is a reason that you are running BDN - you have great ideas for it!

Aw, shucks. ;-)

Actually, JT and David I asked me about doing this one. I just created
the infrastructure.

Well, you get the credit anyway ;)
.a

Alex Bakaev [TeamB] wrote: