UpDown control and EXPONENTS

I have a project (BCB3 Pro) that requires I adjust the value of a
floating-points exponent....

I need to have values like:   10000, 1000, 100, 10,  1,  0.1, 0.01,
0.001, 0.0001
(+4, +3, +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, -3, -4)

Is there some convenient way to take the value returned by an
UpDown control, and other than using    pow(10,  UpDown->Increment);
generate these types of double-precision values?

Some math.h routine that simply takes an Exponent as argument and
efficiently returns  10^Exponent  in an immediate and elegant way?

WOULD there be another approach that I can use that would work the
most efficiently....

An array of values would be my next approach, since no mathematical
computation would be necessary, except that every possible position
would have to be filled....and that could quickly prove impractical
(yet fast).

Any input appreciated!
Thanks!

email: radsm...@juno.com
http://members.tripod.com/~RadSurfer/

Join us on Yahoo at:
for informal discussions about all versions of C++Builder...
[Computer programming for Windows 95, and Console32]
(you must be a Yahoo member to join)