BCB 5 crashes during linking

During linking I find that BCB 5 crashes with the following error message:

"The exception Privileged instruction.
(0xc0000096) occurred in the application at location 0x005d6bbd1.

Click on OK to terminate the application
Click on CANCEL to debug the application"

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Brian

Re:BCB 5 crashes during linking

This might/might not be the same problem but the project that I and a
colleague are working on has started{*word*154} during linking.  We then have
to kill BCB5 with the task manager and re-start it.  It has only started
happening recently and I wonder whether our application has just gotten too
big and BCB is becoming unstable.  It is 115 units and produces an exe of
nearly 4Mb.  Our two machines are completely different hardware but both run
Win2k with BCB5 and the same project and it only happens on this project.

I wonder whether both our problems are related to the "Unable to perform
incremental link, performing full link" problem which has apparently been
fixed in the patch so I am waiting for that and hopefully it will fix the
problem.

I have never seen the linker crash as you state below, BCB just locks up on
our machines.  The cancel button doesn't respond and BCB never comes back so
we have to kill it.

Russell

"Brian Solomons" <b...@obsltd.co.uk> wrote in message

> During linking I find that BCB 5 crashes with the following error message:

> "The exception Privileged instruction.
> (0xc0000096) occurred in the application at location 0x005d6bbd1.

> Click on OK to terminate the application
> Click on CANCEL to debug the application"

> Can anyone help?

> Thanks
> Brian

Re:BCB 5 crashes during linking

Russell

Thanks for your reply.

It may well be the same problem as it occurs if I just add one more form to
the application.  Remove the form and it links fine, add the form and it
crashes.  When it crashes it just freezes and I have to kill it.
Like you I will have to hope that the patch will fix it.  It's strange that
there was no such problem in BCB3.

Brian

> Russell

> Thanks for your reply.

> It may well be the same problem as it occurs if I just add one more form
> the application.  Remove the form and it links fine, add the form and it
> crashes.  When it crashes it just freezes and I have to kill it.
> Like you I will have to hope that the patch will fix it.  It's strange
that
> there was no such problem in BCB3.

Neither was it there in BCB4.  The 'unable to perform incremental link'
error was only introduced in BCB5.

Russell

Re:BCB 5 crashes during linking

Try disabling debug infor for that particular form.

.a

[snip]

news:8m46ua$l278@bornews.borland.com...> It may well be the same problem as
it occurs if I just add one more form to

> the application.  Remove the form and it links fine, add the form and it
> crashes.  When it crashes it just freezes and I have to kill it.
> Like you I will have to hope that the patch will fix it.  It's strange
that
> there was no such problem in BCB3.

Well
I have seen the same/similar behaviour.
I added some forms to a project and now this project
behaves in a bizarre way.

I don't have an answer for you...just to say I've seen it too:(
In fact this project has been driving my crazy ever since.

--
ewallace@urope.<thisbitgoes>com
Eamonn Wallace

Re:BCB 5 crashes during linking

> > there was no such problem in BCB3.

> Neither was it there in BCB4.  The 'unable to perform incremental link'
> error was only introduced in BCB5.

Oh yes its there. I see it from time to time. Bcb compiles and hits
"something" then I get the message and a full build is done. And for the
linker{*word*154} the same thing happens to me with BCB4 Pro with the patches
applied.
It is so bad that bcb can even hang when code insighting something.
Never bothered to report this to borland since I cant reproduce it at will.
And its not like there going to work on it anyways.
My .02$

--
Matz The Wolf.
<pas de signature>