Newbie question: Using activex control in a thread

Hello all

As the subject header says, im wanting to know how to use an activex
control within a thread. I dont mean by placing the control on a main
form and access it from a thread, but by having the control local to
that thread.

What im wanting to do is have a seperate thread in my program that
communicates through the serial port and talks to another external
device and handles all communications to that device. It does need to
be in a seperate thread that runs in the background and will
occasionally get data from the main form. Ive tried using the freeware
TCommPort class and while i got it running fine, it had issues that i
could not resolve (dropping bytes and performance issues). I have an
activex control that can do all this for me, and im wanting to use it
instead of the TCommPort class.

hours of googling comes up with nothing when i try to find some info
on how to create an instance of an activex control in a thread...Is
this even possible in c++ builder 6?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
  Caillyn Benbow

Re:Newbie question: Using activex control in a thread

couldn't you just turn the activex into a VCL then create it just like you
create a VCL on the fly?

just a guess though

jonny

"Caillyn Benbow" <benb...@cpit.ac.nz> wrote in message

> Hello all

> As the subject header says, im wanting to know how to use an activex
> control within a thread. I dont mean by placing the control on a main
> form and access it from a thread, but by having the control local to
> that thread.

> What im wanting to do is have a seperate thread in my program that
> communicates through the serial port and talks to another external
> device and handles all communications to that device. It does need to
> be in a seperate thread that runs in the background and will
> occasionally get data from the main form. Ive tried using the freeware
> TCommPort class and while i got it running fine, it had issues that i
> could not resolve (dropping bytes and performance issues). I have an
> activex control that can do all this for me, and im wanting to use it
> instead of the TCommPort class.

> hours of googling comes up with nothing when i try to find some info
> on how to create an instance of an activex control in a thread...Is
> this even possible in c++ builder 6?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Regards
>   Caillyn Benbow