Problems with application crashing in Windows 95

I have written an application that runs fine under WinNT 4.0 and it runs
fine on about 70% of the machines I've tried it on that run Win95; however,
it does not run on about 30% of machines running Win95.  There seems to be
no correlation between procesor speed or main memory and whether or not it
runs.  I've verified that the program does not even reach the first line of
my code before it crashes.  Any help or hints about what I should look for
or change or do to find the problem would be most appreciated.

Doug Havenhill
dhavenh...@qwest.net

Re:Problems with application crashing in Windows 95

When Win95 first came out it had some problems.

Check that they've applied service pack 1 to Win95.  When it first came out
Win95 had some problems, and they were not only with Borland's compilers.  I
think one of the problems was related to a DLL named SAGE (someone jump in
and help me here if I've got the name wrong).

.  Ed

Re:Problems with application crashing in Windows 95

> fine on about 70% of the machines I've tried it on that run Win95; however,
> it does not run on about 30% of machines running Win95.

Note there were more than one Windows 95 (e.g. Windows95a, OEM, etc.
there might be more info in MSDN).

> I've verified that the program does not even reach the first line of
> my code before it crashes

If you're using BCB5, make sure the patch is applied. Apparently the
linker uses an API that is documented as zero-initing memory but
the API doesn't work that way on Windows 95a (fixed in the BCB5
patch).

Check which version of Internet Explorer is on the machines where
it fails. I remember that at one time the means of ensuring that the
latest COM/OLE support (DLLs) were on a Windows 95 machine was to
install the latest IE.

--Craig

Re:Problems with application crashing in Windows 95

Thanks for all your help.
I discovered what was causing the problem.  To help find another problem I
built the application with CodeGaurd turned on.  When I sent the app to my
in
house people (with CG32.DLL) to try on different platforms, it was crashing
on the Win95 machines.  As it turns out, CodeGaurd was causing
the crash.  Once I turned off the CodeGaurd option, it ran fine.

Doug Havenhill <dhavenh...@uswest.net> wrote in message

> I have written an application that runs fine under WinNT 4.0 and it runs
> fine on about 70% of the machines I've tried it on that run Win95;
however,
> it does not run on about 30% of machines running Win95.  There seems to be
> no correlation between procesor speed or main memory and whether or not it
> runs.  I've verified that the program does not even reach the first line
of
> my code before it crashes.  Any help or hints about what I should look for
> or change or do to find the problem would be most appreciated.

> Doug Havenhill
> dhavenh...@qwest.net

Other Threads